Traditional vs. Nontraditional Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDrB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been sitting here trying to think how to word this post so it doesn't come across sounding like nontrads are always more mature than traditional students...

I guess what I'm wondering could be answered better by Adcoms (@Goro ?) ... Are nontrads questioned or treated any differently in interviews...or rather are they expected to have better or more "mature" answers given their additional life experience?

Members don't see this ad.

We're all measured by the same stick and have to jump through the same hoops. This gives those with extra time out of school an edge, but only if they've used that time wisely.

Reactions: 3 users
I treat them like any other interviewee. And no, they're not held to a higher level because of maturity. Hell, you're only young once, but you can be immature forever.

That said, I do have some specific questions for non-trads, and I also have some specific questions for younger, typical pre-meds. I don't always ask them, but they're in my tool kit. No, i'm not sharing.

I've been sitting here trying to think how to word this post so it doesn't come across sounding like nontrads are always more mature than traditional students...

I guess what I'm wondering could be answered better by Adcoms (@Goro ?) ... Are nontrads questioned or treated any differently in interviews...or rather are they expected to have better or more "mature" answers given their additional life experience?

Reactions: 1 users
having been on both sides of the interview table, i can confirm that maturity isn't an assumption with nontrads, and that lack of maturity isn't assumed with the kiddoes.

if you can handle a soft lob you'll get some heat, and if you can handle the heat, then you had a memorable, fun interview.

Reactions: 2 users