Training after fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Machinery

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious what the options are after fellowship to learn certain procedures you did not get enough or any training in. I noticed a significant number of programs do not train fellows in advanced interventional procedures, and even when they do, the number of those procedures done by a fellow in a one year span is not always sufficient.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get enough Kyphos in fellowship so one of the companies flew me to a course and I did a bunch on cadavers. I do them now in office. No issues. Stim companies have the same; they pay to send and train you.

Also, you can pay to go to Isis or asipp courses

Once you have the skills you can learn most procedures on your own. There are just variations on a theme, for the most part.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are hospital based most applications for new privileges have a way you can be mentored by a physician who already has privileges (watch a few, do a certain # with supervision) then they can sign off and get you privileges. However if you have tight competition for procedures, it can be hard to find a competing doc willing to train you. Hard to clear time to do procedures for free during the "supervision" phase. Easy if its a doc in your group who needs help and is excited to give you some of their work. So find out who your friends are, and buy lots of beers.