Training programme in IBD (post-fellowship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nerdie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a "fellow" equivalent practising in Singapore.

I'm looking to do a 1 - 2 year training programme in IBD in USA from 2016 onwards, does anyone here have any clue how do i start, which are the reputable places to go? Are they pretty difficult to get in? Will i need USMLE?

I was thinking Mass Gen, UPMC, Mayo, University of Chicago...

Help would be deeply appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The link on the bottom is a document that lists the IBD fellowship programs in the US and Canada. They are essentially all reputable, to have these programs they need to have a good IBD program both with patient volume and research. It includes the contact information for all the program directors. Obviously some are more prestigious than others. These tend to be competitive fellowships for GIs looking to be academic IBDologists.

A lot of information is on the CCFA website (Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America). Also of note, there is a difference between a visiting IBD fellowship and the advanced fellowship. The visiting fellow is a GI fellow at another institution that does a month (these tend to be fellows at low IBD volume institutions) versus the advanced fellow who has completed their GI fellowship and is doing additional specialization.

You will have to look at each individual institution but at least at UChicago, it says you must have ECFMG. So you must pass Step 1, 2CK, 2CS, and I think 3).

This is UChicago's prereqs:
Pre-requisites for Program:

Completion of training in Internal Medicine

Completion of, or Enrollment in, Gastroenterology Training Program

License to Practice Medicine in Illinois (application may be pending)

Appropriate Visa requirements if non-U.S. citizen (ECFMG)

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDwQFjAB&url=http://www.ccfa.org/science-and-professionals/programs-materials/visiting-ibd-fellow-program/advanced-fellowship.docx&ei=Qp8nU5bsLcXM2gXtkIGgAw&usg=AFQjCNGfyDvgp89QTbKPiKLcajHXVa1peA&sig2=USC7eqm7RB6zz83nnrv_yw&bvm=bv.62922401,d.b2I

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for much for that very important link!

Yes, i would have completed my fellowship by then, and looking at advance IBD training.

I'm hampered by the lack of USMLE, sigh.

Will start to look around!