Training under an MD, PhD., or MD/PhD - Code of Conduct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCBI

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a rotation under an MD/PhD and it was great. He understood my train of thought more clearly than other clinicians and scientist that I have worked with. He allowed me to attend grand rounds and academics for my field of interest every week. And best of all, he also fueled conversations about the translational aspects of the basic science we work on. I am now in a different lab, who's research goals align more clearly with my clinical goals, and the PI is pure PhD. I asked my MD/PhD mentor his opinion about this. He said he thinks it's best to train under a pure PhD, that way you get the full science view of things, and then you as the MuDPhuD can be the one to decide what YOU think is the appropriate balance of basic/translational science to clinic. He gave me advice too. He told me don't talk about the translational side of things too much in front of your PhD PI, because you may trigger an area of weakness. He also told me to not assume all of my MD peers want to hear about the sciences, and to keep my constant "but why? but why? but why?" attitude away from the residents of my field of interest. Do any of you have any advice for me on this one? Are your PIs MD/PhD? PhD? MD even? Do you change the way you speak in front of PhD folks vs MD folks, vs MD/PhD folks? I'd love to hear what others have to say. I love MuDPhuDing and wouldn't trade this for the world, but we definitely come about our own unique set of dilemmas! Thanks guys/gals!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the world of "clinician-scientist chimeras"! I assume that you have friends with mutual other interests. If you go out with one of them, the conversation often circles that mutual other interest rather than your own. You get the analogy...

The culture and thinking of Medicine (MD) and Science (PhD) are quite different. If you can read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Vanishing-Physician-Scientist-Culture-Politics-Health/dp/080144845X
It has a great chapter describing the differences between these cultures. To an extent, it is precisely because they are so different (and the schism is becoming even larger) that we have a reason to exist...

Your MD/PhD advisor was quite on target... we are not "PhD lite" or "MD lite". We are expected to be able to excel in both professions; you just don't know what your mix will be like in 15 years when you are at the peak of your career...

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply Fencer! I think I will pick up a copy of that book and see if I can get in some fun reading. The gap between the two modes of thinking is SO different. I knew they were different when entering the program. But I didn't fully grasp the extent of the difference....and it doesn't stop at a way of thinking..it passes into culture. Glad to have both - can't imagine training in any other way!