Transcript Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iliketurtl3s

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am applying to vet school (finally!) this coming cycle. I'm super excited! I just have a question about transcripts: does every single transcript need to be sent? The reason I ask is 5 years ago I took one class at a different university than my undergrad, and due to outside circumstances had to withdraw from the class, officially leaving me with an F. I have since retaken that class with an A. Since it is the only class I have ever taken at that school, can I just not send that transcript in without any repercussions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I am applying to vet school (finally!) this coming cycle. I'm super excited! I just have a question about transcripts: does every single transcript need to be sent? The reason I ask is 5 years ago I took one class at a different university than my undergrad, and due to outside circumstances had to withdraw from the class, officially leaving me with an F. I have since retaken that class with an A. Since it is the only class I have ever taken at that school, can I just not send that transcript in without any repercussions?

They wouldn't know that you were leaving something off.

But YOU would know. And could you live with that?

How did a withdraw turn out to be an F, anyway?

Well. In theory you are supposed to submit transcripts from every post-secondary school you attended.

So I guess you have to decide whether you think it is irreproachable to ignore that and take on the risk that it somehow comes back to haunt you. I agree with TT that it wouldn't likely get caught.... but it's still not the right thing to do to leave it out.

If it makes you feel better, I submitted a transcript from UMN to UMN CVM for the one undergrad semester I did there where I got 2 F's.

Members don't see this ad :)
They wouldn't know that you were leaving something off.

But YOU would know. And could you live with that?

How did a withdraw turn out to be an F, anyway?

What if it had been a W? I'm going to try to contact them about it to see if there's an chance I could have it changed this late, but basically I withdrew on the deadline and it somehow managed to get screwed up in their system. I'm still not sure if it was on my end or theirs. I had a lot of personal family issues going on at the time (hence the withdraw), so I didn't even realize what had happened until I got my grade in the mail a few weeks after the semester ended.

Last edited:
Mention the school, submit the transcript, use explanation statement to say:

"I attended xxx school for a semester, due to family emergencies I was unable to attend and the withdraw deadline had passed resulting in a failing grade. As you can see I have since retaken that course and received Y grade at zzz school"

/end

Reactions: 2 users

"I attended xxx school for a semester, due to family emergencies I was unable to attend and the withdraw deadline had passed resulting in a failing grade. As you can see I have since retaken that course and received Y grade at zzz school"

/end

Agreed. Makes it a non-issue. And as a bonus you get to sleep well at night knowing you took the high road and stayed honest.

/end
Agreed. Makes it a non-issue. And as a bonus you get to sleep well at night knowing you took the high road and stayed honest.

Okay, thank you guys! Just so you're aware, I wasn't trying to hide it or lie about anything on my application. I just wasn't sure if it was something necessary given that it was the only class taken there, and also so long ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay, thank you guys! Just so you're aware, I wasn't trying to hide it or lie about anything on my application. I just wasn't sure if it was something necessary given that it was the only class taken there, and also so long ago.

Yeah, we get it. The application asks you to list every school you have attended post high school graduation and for a transcript from each of those schools. You also have to manually enter every course you have taken at each school. So you would have to omit the school you are talking about which isn't honest. Again, doubt anyone would find out, but for your own sanity and in order to be honest, it is much easier to just submit it and explain it briefly in the explanation statement. Best of luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user

Believe me, I understand. I failed out of my first undergrad. Then I took two classes at UMN (where I went to vet school) and failed both those. So I understand not wanting to submit the transcripts.

But unless it has changed since I was in the application pipeline, you are supposed to submit transcripts from everywhere. But doublecheck that when you actually start the application process - if it has changed and you don't have to submit them, then don't. But if it still says every school .... *shrug*

You are required to send transcripts from every school you have been enrolled in, even if it was one class and even if you failed. If that class shows up on one of your other transcripts as a transfer credit, vmcas will notice and tell you that you need to submit the transcript from that school, which could lead to your application being held back until they receive it. With all the trouble from vmcas that people have had with transcripts in the past, I would just send it and use the Explanation essay to address the issues you had during that time.

Send in EVERY. SINGLE. TRANSCRIPT.

I took 2 classes at a community college over 10 years ago. I quite understandably forgot I had ever taken US history and US government at the community college. That single missing transcript meant that my VMCAS application in Sept 2015 never got verified. I had to scramble and contact every school I applied to, to see if they would still take my application AND if they needed that transcript. It was the source of a lot of stress for me in fall 2015, and I only applied to 3 schools!

Also, pay for delivery confirmation. The extra $5 to $40 dollars per transcript is worth your peace of mind. It's very hard for a place to deny they received your information if you have delivery confirmation.

What DVMDream said.

I had to withdraw late from a class, took an F, retook the class, got an A, and still got into vet school. So it's not a deal-breaker, just so long as you explain WHY it happened, i.e. had a family emergency and showed you were capable of mastering the course material next time around.

You are required to send transcripts from every school you have been enrolled in, even if it was one class and even if you failed.

Send in EVERY. SINGLE. TRANSCRIPT.

Yes, yes, and yes. Please send in every single transcript from any institution that you ever signed up for classes in.
My situation for this past application cycle was very similar to @lianali, where I forgot the transcript for a single Spanish class that I took sophmore year of high school. KSU was actually the school that caught my missing transcript, so I sent it in with barely enough time to make the final deadline, but it got lost at VMCAS for a month. I spent the time calling every school (9 total...) that I applied to and was essentially told that no VMCAS verification because of a missing transcript = no application review. I was prepared to just give up and apply next year since it seemed hopeless.

I got lucky that my transcript was recovered and my VMCAS was verified in the end. If you just chose not to send it in at all and you get caught, well, I hope that the schools that you applied to would be more understanding.

Just don't put yourself in a situation that you have to deal with it. Besides, VMCAS instructions tell you explicitly that you must include all transcripts. Can't really argue around that. I was just stupid and missed that part.

Reactions: 1 user