transcripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TotalDomination

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you get your transcript sent to aamc? Is there a form or do you just call your school and say hey send aamc my transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you get your transcript sent to aamc? Is there a form or do you just call your school and say hey send aamc my transcript?

AAMC has a transcript request form that they say giving to your school to send with the transcript helps them link it to your account.

As far as getting the transcript from your school, every school is different but I think the general pattern is the registrar's webpage usually has some type of form to fill out and mail/fax/email to them with the AMCAS transcript request form.

Keep in mind there is about a 7-10 day processing period at AMCAS for transcripts so if you want to get your application verified ASAP, I would pay for any rush options that your registrar has available if possible.

AAMC has a transcript request form that they say giving to your school to send with the transcript helps them link it to your account.

As far as getting the transcript from your school, every school is different but I think the general pattern is the registrar's webpage usually has some type of form to fill out and mail/fax/email to them with the AMCAS transcript request form.

Keep in mind there is about a 7-10 day processing period at AMCAS for transcripts so if you want to get your application verified ASAP, I would pay for any rush options that your registrar has available if possible.

Does it really take that long to process it? Because it takes 3-5 business days for them to receive it and with a 7-10 day processing period that's automatically 15 days before the application can be looked at for verification....

Has anyone's transcripts taken that long to be processed?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need the form. They received all of mine without it.

You don't need the form. They received all of mine without it.

^ This. The extra sheet is just excess paperwork.

Most schools have electronic submission options. I suggest using that service. There is usually a box for "additional information for the recipient." In that box put AAMC ID#: <your number>

Log into your AMCAS and on the right side of the main menu it has a print transcript request form button.

thanks!

Does it really take that long to process it? Because it takes 3-5 business days for them to receive it and with a 7-10 day processing period that's automatically 15 days before the application can be looked at for verification....

Last edited:
thanks!

It does take a while but you can have your schools send in transcripts before you finish/submit your application. This way you can mitigate any delays.

Sent from my Nexus 10

thanks!

Mine got sent by my school on 5/22, arrived 5/29 and were marked "received" yesterday (6/5) at 5pm.

thanks!

Sent forms to my school May 22, they Fedex'd it May 28th, arrived at AMCAS May 30th, and processed today June 6.

Sent forms to my school May 22, they Fedex'd it May 28th, arrived at AMCAS May 30th, and processed today June 6.

Yea i guess i was just confused. I did everything accordingly a few weeks ago (middle of May) and my transcripts never got marked as received or processed. Just called my school today and they didn't send them out yet. So...I guess it's not aamc's fault, it's my school. Now I just feel like i'm totally screwed for this application cycle and my heart feels like it's going to burst. I've been working 100+ hours a week and killed myself to stay on top of this application and now i'm effed because i can't submit Monday like I had planned. My school also takes a freaking month after submission to send in committee letter so I won't be complete until freaking august or something. I'm really screwed.

Yea i guess i was just confused. I did everything accordingly a few weeks ago (middle of May) and my transcripts never got marked as received or processed. Just called my school today and they didn't send them out yet. So...I guess it's not aamc's fault, it's my school. Now I just feel like i'm totally screwed for this application cycle.

Don't worry about it. You'll be a week and a half late at most. Remember, AMCAS is going over your app and sending them to schools on the (I think) 28th. You'll be a couple days after the FIRST DAY. Oh, no! :p

Seriously, don't worry about it.

Don't worry about it. You'll be a week and a half late at most. Remember, AMCAS is going over your app and sending them to schools on the (I think) 28th. You'll be a couple days after the FIRST DAY. Oh, no! :p

Seriously, don't worry about it.

i'm just a borderline candidate you know so it's really critical i stay on top of the app.

sorry for freaking out i know this is very much "annoying neurotic premed" behavior but i just feel crushed.

i'm just a borderline candidate you know so it's really critical i stay on top of the app.

sorry for freaking out i know this is very much "annoying neurotic premed" behavior but i just feel crushed.

Don't worry you'll be fine! An extra week will not hurt your chances. :)

Yea i guess i was just confused. I did everything accordingly a few weeks ago (middle of May) and my transcripts never got marked as received or processed. Just called my school today and they didn't send them out yet. So...I guess it's not aamc's fault, it's my school. Now I just feel like i'm totally screwed for this application cycle and my heart feels like it's going to burst. I've been working 100+ hours a week and killed myself to stay on top of this application and now i'm effed because i can't submit Monday like I had planned. My school also takes a freaking month after submission to send in committee letter so I won't be complete until freaking august or something. I'm really screwed.

Man that sucks, I'm just constantly badgering the people that I need to send things like recs and transcripts, after getting screwed in high school (Late LORs, midyear report never sent till march :rolleyes: after decisions are basically made). People tell me I'm paranoid, but I've found whenever you need to rely on someone else there are going to be delays and/or complete failure to submit.

You'll be fine though if you're verified in July. My school is sending committee letters mid July at the earliest :confused: submitted the form in April.

Man that sucks, I'm just constantly badgering the people that I need to send things like recs and transcripts, after getting screwed in high school (Late LORs, midyear report never sent till march :rolleyes: after decisions are basically made). People tell me I'm paranoid, but I've found whenever you need to rely on someone else there are going to be delays and/or complete failure to submit.

You'll be fine though if you're verified in July. My school is sending committee letters mid July at the earliest :confused: submitted the form in April.

Seriously. Relying on anyone results in displays of pure incompetence. I wanted to be considered "early." Too late for that, you think? I will have everything else done by middle of next week. Just waiting for transcripts to get in. Are e-transcripts received faster than paper ones?

Seriously. Relying on anyone results in displays of pure incompetence. I wanted to be considered "early." Too late for that, you think? I will have everything else done by middle of next week. Just waiting for transcripts to get in. Are e-transcripts received faster than paper ones?

I think it'll still be relatively early. The advising office at my school claims anytime in July is early. You can easily make up ground by pre-writing some secondaries.

E-transcripts for sure are received faster just make sure your school is one of the "approved" ones for the AAMC.

I had three schools send in transcripts. Two state schools and one top 20. All three took at least half a month to finally be entered into AMCAS. My experience was:

Mail in college request form + AMCAS request form + letter explaining what the registrar has to do with it all = 2-3 days for letter to arrive via USPS

College processes request and sends out letter = 1-9 days

Letter travels to AMCAS = 2-3 days

Transcript processed by AMCAS = 8 days

Total = 13-24 days

Also keep in mind that USPS doesn't work on Sundays or holidays so if you (or a college) mail it on Friday or Saturday it takes even longer than normal. If possible, deliver the form in person. It makes things go A LOT faster and smoother, at least in my experience.

And yes, getting transcripts and LORs is definitely the part of the application where you will get screwed over by other people's incompetence. Instead of hoping it won't happen, the solution is to expect that it will (because it absolutely will) and plan accordingly. For example, I contacted my LOR writers in January and lied and told them they had until June 1st to get the letters in. 3 writers got me letters in within a couple weeks. 2 more got me letters in with about 1-2 weeks to spare. 2 more sent in the letters with a day to spare, and then 1 of those 2 then corrected their letter twice the next day. Had I actually been honest with people and told them I probably wouldn't need the letters until mid-July at the earliest, I'd be screwed.

Same thing with the transcripts. I sent in the AMCAS form anyway because I didn't want to risk it getting lost in the AMCAS sorting facility, or taking excessively long to be matched to my account. I also included a letter to schools explaining that the AMCAS form had to mailed in with the transcript and gave them the address in case they couldn't find it on the form. As OCD as that sounds, one school still managed to screw it up and sent in the transcript without the form. Luckily, because I had written that letter, they realized their mistake a week later :rolleyes: and mailed in a second transcript free of charge on their own accord. Both got counted by AMCAS so it didn't matter, but again, better safe than sorry.