Transfer credits and ECFMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Step9321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I don't know if this is the proper section to ask it, but I have some questions about the transfer credits and the ECFMG certification.
I am enrolled in an European medical school. Before starting my medical school, I have been enrolled on a dental school for two years.
Both the dental and the medical school are held in the same university. I transferred credits relative to some courses relative to basic sciences, such as chemistry, physics, and histology. Besides, these courses are held by the same professors in both the dental and the medical school.
So, I was wondering if I can meet the ECFMG requirement.
They say:
"Transfer credits are credits earned for a course taken at one institution (such as a medical school) that are accepted by another medical school toward meeting its degree requirements.
Additionally, for the purpose of ECFMG Certification, credits earned on or after January 1, 2008 that are transferred to the medical school that awarded or will award your medical degree must meet all of the following criteria:

Credits must be transferred from one IMED-listed medical school to another IMED-listed medical school.*

Credits must be for courses taken at one medical school within seven years of the date of graduation at the medical school that accepts the transferred courses.
Credits must be for courses that were passed at the medical school at which the course was taken. "

I don't know what they mean when they say " taken at one institution (such as a medical school)". In your opinion, Are dental schools such institutions?Will the credits transferred from a dental school be considered by the ECFMG?

Hoping you'll be fine, i look forward to hearing from you

Members don't see this ad.

If both schools belong to the same institution then you should be fine, it might not even be considered as transfer.

Yes, they belong to the same institution. I've sent an e-mail to ECFMG to be sure of this, because i haven't found cases similar to mine on the web. Do you Know if there is any libraries of the medical credentials approved by the ECFMG?
Anyway, thank you for the reply :)

Hello guys, I don't know if this is the proper section to ask it, but I have some questions about the transfer credits and the ECFMG certification.
I am enrolled in an European medical school. Before starting my medical school, I have been enrolled on a dental school for two years.
Both the dental and the medical school are held in the same university. I transferred credits relative to some courses relative to basic sciences, such as chemistry, physics, and histology. Besides, these courses are held by the same professors in both the dental and the medical school.
So, I was wondering if I can meet the ECFMG requirement.
They say:
"Transfer credits are credits earned for a course taken at one institution (such as a medical school) that are accepted by another medical school toward meeting its degree requirements.
Additionally, for the purpose of ECFMG Certification, credits earned on or after January 1, 2008 that are transferred to the medical school that awarded or will award your medical degree must meet all of the following criteria:

Credits must be transferred from one IMED-listed medical school to another IMED-listed medical school.*

Credits must be for courses taken at one medical school within seven years of the date of graduation at the medical school that accepts the transferred courses.
Credits must be for courses that were passed at the medical school at which the course was taken. "

I don't know what they mean when they say " taken at one institution (such as a medical school)". In your opinion, Are dental schools such institutions?Will the credits transferred from a dental school be considered by the ECFMG?

Hoping you'll be fine, i look forward to hearing from you

Dear friend Step9321

I am writing to you in order to kindly discuss a problem I have with ecfmg certification.I have seen a post from you last year saying that you had a problem with the "transfer credits" from dental to medical school. I would appreciate if you could discuss with me how you resolved this situation.Did they recognize your courses you have taken at dental school? I am in the same situation...

Yours Sincerely
k