Transfer decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotrodsduo

MD Class of 2022
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to transfer from a community college and am torn between two undergrad institutions. What would you do? For those out there who are not into the God thing, I would like your feed back without consideration of faith as it really doesn't make a difference to me beyond dedicating more time for chapel than I am accustomed to.

UCSD

Pros:
Best Research and science programs in the area
Family friendly housing/study resources (onsite daycare, study rooms for parents)
About $13K a year less than other
Available Human Bio major sounds like good prep for med school
Slightly closer (10 miles) to my house

Cons:
Large school with large classes = tough to make relationships with professors (22k students)
More competative students which I have heard makes the curve quite tough (avg gpa of incoming fresh 4.06) translating to perhaps a lower gpa
Approx 37% of students applying to med school are accepted

Point Loma Nazarene

Pros:
Small school small classes relationships/LORs guaranteed (2500 students)
Personally taylored resources to help with Interviews and MCATs
Possibly be toward the top of my class with slightly better GPA
Medical insurance included in tuition
Advertises approx 80% admission rate into med schools (have not dug into this too deeply yet for specifics)

Cons:
More expensive
Limited available class times
Chapel required 3 times a week (which is really about time, I do have a Christian world view)
slightly further from my house
Limited majors I would double major in bio/chemistry

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I guess it is also worth mentioning UCSD obviously has a med school so there may or may not be a pro for the possibility of networking with professors/researchers/adcoms/physicians that may be slightly influential at that school?

Both sound like outstanding schools. UCSD freshman have an average GPA of 4.06? That sounds ridiculous. Personally, I would prefer the smaller school that is less competitive, there is already enough pressure to get good grades as a pre-health.

Members don't see this ad :)
Going on campus tours next week after finals.

I am looking to transfer from a community college and am torn between two undergrad institutions. What would you do? For those out there who are not into the God thing, I would like your feed back without consideration of faith as it really doesn't make a difference to me beyond dedicating more time for chapel than I am accustomed to.

UCSD

Pros:
Best Research and science programs in the area
Family friendly housing/study resources (onsite daycare, study rooms for parents)
About $13K a year less than other
Available Human Bio major sounds like good prep for med school
Slightly closer (10 miles) to my house

Cons:
Large school with large classes = tough to make relationships with professors (22k students)
More competative students which I have heard makes the curve quite tough (avg gpa of incoming fresh 4.06) translating to perhaps a lower gpa
Approx 37% of students applying to med school are accepted

Point Loma Nazarene

Pros:
Small school small classes relationships/LORs guaranteed (2500 students)
Personally taylored resources to help with Interviews and MCATs
Possibly be toward the top of my class with slightly better GPA
Medical insurance included in tuition
Advertises approx 80% admission rate into med schools (have not dug into this too deeply yet for specifics)

Cons:
More expensive
Limited available class times
Chapel required 3 times a week (which is really about time, I do have a Christian world view)
slightly further from my house
Limited majors I would double major in bio/chemistry

Thoughts?
How about you apply first and then see where you get in? Or have you already gotten in?

Have you visited both schools to see which environment you would prefer?

How about you apply first and then see where you get in? Or have you already gotten in?

Good call.
I do believe I have a very real shot at both. UCSD has some agreements with the local community colleges and Point Loma is considerably less selective.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you visited both schools to see which environment you would prefer?

I am visiting both campuses next week, but am from the immediate area so am pretty familiar with the general vicinities. I am really hoping one will speak to me in terms of what they can offer as a school. Any advice or warnings that you would have looked into further before choosing a university?

Good call.
I do believe I have a very real shot at both. UCSD has some agreements with the local community colleges and Point Loma is considerably less selective.

Really, right now, I am looking to taylor my fall courses to meet the transfer agreements for whichever school I am shooting for. I will likely apply for both this year to cover my bases.

I am visiting both campuses next week, but am from the immediate area so am pretty familiar with the general vicinities. I am really hoping one will speak to me in terms of what they can offer as a school. Any advice or warnings that you would have looked into further before choosing a university?

Message me!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

After touring all campuses and even SDSU, I think I am going to shoot for UCSD. Wish me luck. I will need it. Incoming gpa average this last cycle was 4.13. UGH.