Transfer into Neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently in another specialty but it has not been the best of fit.

If there is an opening for PGY-2 neurology, is it it possible to apply and jump into neuro?

I am a DO, took COMLEX series, USMLE Step 2 only.

I did a transitional year internship as part of my categorical residency. Consisted of 6 months of medicine, 3 months surgery, 1 month EM, 1 month Peds, and then month of anesthesia elective.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently in another specialty but it has not been the best of fit.

If there is an opening for PGY-2 neurology, is it it possible to apply and jump into neuro?

I am a DO, took COMLEX series, USMLE Step 2 only.

I did a transitional year internship as part of my categorical residency. Consisted of 6 months of medicine, 3 months surgery, 1 month EM, 1 month Peds, and then month of anesthesia elective.

Thoughts?

It's tough to give good advice without knowing more detail. I would say just be careful. What precisely are you hoping to escape from in your current situation, and what are you hoping to find by switching to neurology? It is likely to be quite a do-able switch (if you are completing a transitional year - my understanding is that these are competitive), but I would urge caution and ensuring that you are very comfortable with your decision prior to making any rapid changes.

Good luck either way.

I was categorical.

My program had decided I was not a great fit for the specialty, and I also have similarly concluded with much reflection. I work better as an internist/neurologist, have technical skills experience, and enjoyed neurology moreso than IM when I did an elective. It's a specialty that brings me great intrigue as I was always interested in neuroanatomy/physiology/pathology and would like to learn more.

I have an interest in academia and research, and an invasive sub-specialty or even neuro-critical care given the patients I've dealt with being in anesthesia. I was always interested in the effects of anesthetics on the CNS, etc.

I was categorical.

My program had decided I was not a great fit for the specialty, and I also have similarly concluded with much reflection. I work better as an internist/neurologist, have technical skills experience, and enjoyed neurology moreso than IM when I did an elective. It's a specialty that brings me great intrigue as I was always interested in neuroanatomy/physiology/pathology and would like to learn more.

I have an interest in academia and research, and an invasive sub-specialty or even neuro-critical care given the patients I've dealt with being in anesthesia. I was always interested in the effects of anesthetics on the CNS, etc.

I would say you need to talk to the faculty in neurology where you are and see what your options are.

Neurology is generally very laid back. Do not expect to be pimped on the interview. Obviously, I would be very thoroughly prepared to answer questions about why neuro and why not specialty X.

I had my interview and it was a nice experience.

I hope it works out. Should I do a second visit at this point, or just wait for the process to unfold? Thanks