Transfer, or wait another year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedbrah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently at a community college, and I will be applying to finish my undergrad at one of my local state schools for next fall. I still have to complete my Ochem series, Calc series, and Physics (finishing last Bio and Chem now).

My question is, if I do get accepted to my state school (which is a UC), would it be best for me to just stay at the CC to finish my pre-reqs in order to safeguard my GPA? I have a low GPA and I really don't want to take the risk of harming it any further if I go to a UC. Has anyone been in this position and is there any advice that you could give?

I've heard some pretty rough stories about how difficult the Ochem/Physics/Calc series are at the UC's so I'm afraid that I won't do as well in them. Plus, at my CC we have amazing professors, small classes, and the tutoring/help resources are all fantastic. I guess my main concern is personal in that I tell myself, "If I can't do well in those seemingly difficult pre-req classes at the University level, how can I succeed in med school?"

Members don't see this ad.

Also, since the UC's are using the quarter system, I feel that I wont learn the information as well as my CC which is semester based. These pre-reqs are crucial for the MCAT and I'd rather learn the material well in class, rather than having to re-learn everything again (not to say I won't forget some of the information while I review for the MCAT down the line).