Transferring as a Premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csh123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't have much to say as my gpa isn't the most stellar in the house either (although it isn't too bad), but I assume it was a typo and and you didn't take Gen chem 1 twice. As far as the drinking goes...do you honestly expect that to be less of a problem at your public, state school? Taking some time off is OK, I guess, but it seems that you simply need to prioritize your habits. I had to do this too. Whether that takes 6 months to refocus or 6 weeks is up to you, I guess.

Good luck man. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way to get the grades you need.

i meant Gen Chem II. and I would be commuting to school from my house so I wouldn't be hanging around at school on the weekends or staying over night.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend considering a post bacc program. I know students who have had lower gpa's and Mcat scores who have gotten into do schools after a year of post bacc. Just depends if you are willing to go that route.

I would recommend considering a post bacc program. I know students who have had lower gpa's and Mcat scores who have gotten into do schools after a year of post bacc. Just depends if you are willing to go that route.
I disagree. OP is only 3 semesters in to his undergrad. Its too early now to throw in the towel and rely on a postbacc (though that can still be an option in the future). He can still recover from this.

OP, If you feel you will be less distracted at the state school then defiantly transfer, buckle down, and get good grades. In your future interviews you can point to this as the turning point in your academic career. Hopefully you state school will be cheaper too. Wait till med school to drown yourself in debt.

I wasn't saying to throw in the towel yet but to realize that low mcat/gpa is not an automatic dq. I know people with low 20's on mcat with a lower than 3.0 gpa ( mainly due to partying too much more so than lack of ability) who went the post bacc route that matched well.

I don't understand why the post bacc is necessary if I'm only 3 semesters in. Most of my credits might not even transfer.

Also if I were to take summer classes which ones should I take ? I have the option to take them either at community college or the state school. I was thinking about taking classes at the state school so I can get my prerequisites out of the way such as Orgo and physics

I am just stating that i know people a lot worse off that have made it in via this route. Just trying to help you see the bright side of things. I would take the harder courses in the summer so that you can exclusively focus all your energy on that one class. Getting your sgpa up will be seen as favorable.

Get new friends and/or live like a hermit.

I transferred twice as an undergrad and have 4 acceptances so far in this cycle and 2 more interviews, so simply transferring won't be a detriment to your application. But let's get serious - every college has people who drink and saying that they distract you is a poor excuse for grades that you are unhappy with. Go to the library. People don't drink in the library (and if they do they can't be obnoxious while doing it). Money is a more realistic excuse, but in all honesty the extra 6-7k/year is probably worth the reputation of your current school vs. your state school for when med schools will be looking at your app. My two cents: if you feel that you can stay at your school and pull up your grades over the next two years then absolutely do it.

I don't understand why the post bacc is necessary if I'm only 3 semesters in. Most of my credits might not even transfer.

Also if I were to take summer classes which ones should I take ? I have the option to take them either at community college or the state school. I was thinking about taking classes at the state school so I can get my prerequisites out of the way such as Orgo and physics

Remember it doesn't matter what transfers for your app. You'll give a transcript of all classes you've ever taken at any institution for GPA calculation.

Do I still even have a good shot at going to a DO school ? I feel like my medicine career is over because the reason I'm taking this semester off of my sophomore semester is because I am required by the school to be on a Leave of Absence for health reasons...

What should I do? Should I go back? My dad wants me to go back because of its reputation. I might have to stay another semester. Should I just wait to apply my senior year instead of my junior year? feeling very lost...

If I do decide to go back, what should I do between now and the fall if I'm not going to school until then?
I had the perfect opportunity for ECs, but all that was thrown out the window. What should I do about those in the fall?

Do I still even have a good shot at going to a DO school ? I feel like my medicine career is over because the reason I'm taking this semester off of my sophomore semester is because I am required by the school to be on a Leave of Absence for health reasons...

What should I do? Should I go back? My dad wants me to go back because of its reputation. I might have to stay another semester. Should I just wait to apply my senior year instead of my junior year? feeling very lost...

If I do decide to go back, what should I do between now and the fall if I'm not going to school until then?
I had the perfect opportunity for ECs, but all that was thrown out the window. What should I do about those in the fall?

Go back or transfer, but be warned: A grade of a C in Orgo ain't cutting it for MD or DO schools. Also, commute. It's almost idiocy to think you can pal around with the drinkers. Technically, you can, but from very, very far away.

DO schools will take you once you retake most of those classes, or by some stroke of luck, get A's in Orgo two and your subsequent advanced Biology courses (biochem, Genetics, ect). They probably don't care as much about gen chem, but a C in intro to Bio is beyond ridiculous. Come on man, you don't need to be a pre-med to ace that class. Go, retake it, study for it, and kill it.

Don't think about the MCAT yet. At all. Think about it after you nailed orgo 2 and some upper level bios. One step at a time amigo. You're still at the start of the road.