Transferring Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skracer3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience transferring dental schools? Any advice you can give me?

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understanding that most d-schools won't take transfers.

Has anyone had experience transferring dental schools? Any advice you can give me?

Transferring from one dental school to another dental school is like transferring from a United jetliner to a Delta jetliner in flight.

While technologically it is possible, you will never get two airlines to agree to do it. Even if they did agree to do it -- it would most likely kill you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Transferring from one dental school to another dental school is like transferring from a United jetliner to a Delta jetliner in flight.

While technologically it is possible, you will never get two airlines to agree to do it. Even if they did agree to do it -- it would most likely kill you.

I am not going to state anything as FACT on here, but I have read on the forums before from multiple people that they have or know colleagues who have transferred. From what I have read though it is very difficult, although possible.

Like others have said, it would be tough (at best). You'd be dealing with schools that do not all have the same curriculum timeline, schools that take boards at different times, disrupting class numbers for clinic partners (at BOTH schools potentially). Not to mention, in the application process, no one is accepted at every single school in the country. How would you justify that you deserve a spot at a different school? Perhaps the school you want to transfer to would have never accepted you to begin with. I would imagine it's just a logistical nightmare trying to sort it all out.

I only know of one person who did it - the school she transferred to had a student leave after the first year, so there was an open spot in their class. That's the only situation I've ever heard of where transfers are even considered.

We had a student transfer into my class (he started second year with us), and he said that it really wasn't that difficult at all - I think it's all about how willing the receiving school is to work with you. This year, I think there are 2-3 students transferring in to the upcoming 2nd year class. Though, each class did lose 2-3 people for a variety of reasons - I think this is why they were more willing.

Like was said above, often the issue is if the curriculum match up, otherwise you have to take extra classes, which sometimes you simply can't fit into your schedule.

We had 2 transfers into 2nd year. One had issues due to PBL credits not transferring... The other was OK. They are both doing well.

I would assume that 3rd yr+ transfers are rare due to clinic...

We got four transfers our 2nd year- three didn't have to repeat anything, but one had to repeat 2nd year.
Have a good reason worth a shot- the worse they can tell you is no.

I did it from NYU to UWO (Canada). They look at D1 GPA only. Not sure if that helps.

I want to transfer out of UConn. Please

Lol, you only say that because MOD3 is next week! Life sucks for us right now haha

Reactions: 1 user
I did it from NYU to UWO (Canada). They look at D1 GPA only. Not sure if that helps.
hey alcohulk! im interested in asking you some questions about your transfer to UWO dds, am I able to send you an email? I'm interested in knowing what is considered competitive (what kind of GPA they're looking for, would letter of recommendations help, etc.) Thanks in advance!!b