Transferring from a CCC; help to choose a major? (Berkely vs. UCLA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hammer1010

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new here, and I hope that I'm posting in the right place.

So I got accepted to UCLA (Physiological Sciences) and I probably got accepted to UC Berkeley (Nutritional Sciences: Physiology and Metabolism). I say probably, since I've also got accepted to UCI (bio) and UCSD (physio and neuro science).

So to keep it short, I really like the major and the course list in Berkeley, but I feel that this major is weaker than the one offered in UCLA. I feel that I would have much more possibilities with Physiological sciences than Nutritional sciences in terms of Masters/PhD/MD. I'm not sure if I want to go to the Med-school route or even the research route - I would like to figure this out through practical work such as volunteering in different facilities such as hospitals and doing some actual research in respected places.

Can you guys share some information/thoughts about these majors? I've searched here for couple of hours now and noticed that there are many Physio majors here from UCLA - can you share your experience? I get the idea that this major is pre-med impacted and it's hard - I don't really care for this since I love the subject and ready to put the hard work. On another hand, I like nutrition and metabolism more, and it's more intersteing to me than general Physio major, so I'm not sure what should I do.
Money is not an issue, but yes I would prefer staying in LA since my family is here - but that's the least important thing.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your acceptances.

You're doing the smart thing by looking ahead and figuring out which major will benefit you the most in terms of keeping your options open.

I vote UCLA. I went there, and think that the academic experience is a bit better than UCB's. Nutrition is just too narrow of a major.

I went to UCLA and was a neuroscience major. I had a bunch of friends in my classes that were physio majors though. UCLA is a very tough school, but lots of shadowing/research opportunities. If you are going medical, go to UCLA (you're gonna have to work your butt off to get a decent GPA though.)

Hey there. I went to Berkeley and didn't really like it. I'd pick UCLA---a great bonus is they have a med school you can check out and affiliate yourself with as a pre-med... Berkeley does not have a medical school, although you could hop on BART and volunteer at UCSF, but that's like a 60 minute commute.