Transferring intern hours to CA question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toxoplasmosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question has been asked to death, but things seem to have changed with the CA board since last year.
I also keep getting conflicting information from the CABP website, calling CA board and my state board and what's listed on this forum. Basically, the CA board refuses to give me a straight answer, the receptionist sounds like he's just making up answers, and then likes to transfer me to lines where no one picks up.

So has anyone here SUCCESSFULLY applied for licensure and transferred intern hours to CA from out of state this year?

http://www.pharmacy.ca.gov/forms/rph_app_pkt.pdf

So far I've sent in page 15 (Verification of License in Another State) of the CA app packet to my state board to fill out. My state board says they will verify 1500 intern hours and then send the form back to me to mail in along with the rest of my application.

My question is regarding the intern hours affidavit (page 12 of packet) which I believe you used to have to have every preceptor sign an affidavit for the total 1500 hours. Do we need to submit this or not to transfer hours?? SDN says this form is no longer required, the application packet also says you just need form 17A-17 and 17A-77, but the CA Board kept telling me I had to submit the affidavit too??

So for those of you who have recently successfully applied for licensure from out of state...would you mind sharing your experience?

Thanks so much!!

The packet says this, just for reference:

1. Intern Hours
 Intern hours earned in California must be completed on the Pharmacy Intern Hours Affidavit form
(17A-29) documenting 1,500 intern hours of pharmacy practice experience. The affidavit must have
an original signature and be submitted with the application. Please submit a separate form for each
pharmacy location.

 Intern hours obtained in another state may be submitted to the board on one of the following forms:
A. Verification of License in Another State form (17A-16). If you hold an intern license in
another state this form must be submitted verifying the status of your intern license. If the
licensing agency in the state where the intern hours were obtained will transfer your intern
hours to California, you may request that licensing agency to certify the number of intern
hours on this form. Not all state licensing agencies will transfer intern hours to another
state. Please contact the state licensing agency directly to verify if they will transfer your
intern hours to California along with verifying your license status in that state.
OR
B. If the state licensing agency will not transfer your intern hours to California, you are still
required to submit proof of your intern hours on the Pharmacy Intern Hours Affidavit form
(17A-29) documenting 1,500 hours of pharmacy practice experience as an intern
pharmacist. However, you are still required to have the state licensing agency verify the
status of your intern license on the Verification of License in Another State form (17A-16).

AND

2. Experience Obtained in Community and Institutional Settings (form 17A-77): This document must be
signed attesting that you have obtained all pharmacist skills required by the board in community and
institutional settings. The Affidavit of Intern Experience Obtained in Community and Institutional Settings (form 17A-77) must be signed and submitted with your application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your state BOP is going to transfer all of your 1500 intern hours, you don't have to submit the intern affidavit.

Reactions: 1 user