transferring locations at walgreens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm00123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on accepting an offer from walgreens, however I want to keep my options open location wise. If I decide to move in a year but still plan to stay with walgreens, is transferring to another state relatively easy? Are there any requirements on how long you have to stay with a certain district before you can transfer?

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply to transfer into another district (or state if you're licensed). As long as they have openings, they'll usually take you. You need to have decent performance reviews (which are done yearly) and usually the recommendation of the pharmacy supervisor that you aren't completely terrible.

You can apply to transfer into another district (or state if you're licensed). As long as they have openings, they'll usually take you. You need to have decent performance reviews (which are done yearly) and usually the recommendation of the pharmacy supervisor that you aren't completely terrible.
Do you have to be licensed in that state before you apply for a transfer? Or Can I apply for a transfer and then take that states law exam after knowing about openings?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to be licensed in that state before you apply for a transfer? Or Can I apply for a transfer and then take that states law exam after knowing about openings?

Most of the pharmacists I know that transferred states were licensed before applying. That way they were able to work ASAP. You can ask the RXS for a more definite answer though.

One does not simply transfer districts

Should I contact the new RXS where I am planning to transfer before I tell my RXS? I don't want to tell my RXS when there is no opening position where I want to transfer. Any recommendation? Tks

Should I contact the new RXS where I am planning to transfer before I tell my RXS? I don't want to tell my RXS when there is no opening position where I want to transfer. Any recommendation? Tks
Yes I would. The only real "protocol" for transferring is finding someone that wants you and have that person fight to get you. Anything else puts you in limbo for longer than you wish. I would also tell the rxs you are interested in managing but will fill any position they wish. And if you have an rxm to pull for you too even better. Retail is who you know(and how well you lie to your boss).

Has anyone been able to do this?
I talked to my rx supervisor and he said he would allow me to transfer within his district. This was 6 months ago and I'm still stuck in an undesirable location.

From what I know of retail, its harder to transfer within ones district, then it is to transfer outside of ones district. ie if you are doing good at a store nobody else wants, your supervisor has no incentive to transfer you. However, if you are moving and you aren't going to be at the bad store anyway, then your supervisor has no reason to fight your transfer.