Transferring out of a 7 year BS/MD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abs101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a freshman at college currently and a part of an accelerated BS/MD program. I am thinking about transferring out and continuing my pre-med studies the traditional way. I still want to pursue medicine however just not through this program. My reasons for leaving have nothing to do with my grades or academic standing. I am still within the boundaries for the required GPA for the program and a competitive GPA in general. The only thing that is stopping me from transferring is the idea that medical schools will use this transfer out of a BS/MD program as a red flag to deny me admission. Some have told me that this shows some commitment issues and medical schools may think that giving me a spot will not be worth the risk.

I know the pros/cons of a BS/MD program and have spent months considering this change. I understand the struggles that come with the traditional way such as the stress of the interviews/decisions and cost of apps. However, my reluctance comes from the aspect that I will be looked down upon by medical schools for leaving and forgoing my reserved spot through the program.

Can anyone who is knowledgeable in this area please enlighten me whether or not this will come as a red flag to medical schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am a freshman at college currently and a part of an accelerated BS/MD program. I am thinking about transferring out and continuing my pre-med studies the traditional way. I still want to pursue medicine however just not through this program. My reasons for leaving have nothing to do with my grades or academic standing. I am still within the boundaries for the required GPA for the program and a competitive GPA in general. The only thing that is stopping me from transferring is the idea that medical schools will use this transfer out of a BS/MD program as a red flag to deny me admission. Some have told me that this shows some commitment issues and medical schools may think that giving me a spot will not be worth the risk.

I know the pros/cons of a BS/MD program and have spent months considering this change. I understand the struggles that come with the traditional way such as the stress of the interviews/decisions and cost of apps. However, my reluctance comes from the aspect that I will be looked down upon by medical schools for leaving and forgoing my reserved spot through the program.

Can anyone who is knowledgeable in this area please enlighten me whether or not this will come as a red flag to medical schools.

I was in a similar program and left it because I wanted to go to a different school. This wouldn't be a red flag

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody will know you left a BS/MD program unless you tell them. I am not aware that you would need to disclose this on your regular application. Even if you did, it's not a commitment issue; just say you didn't want to stay in the program for X and Y reasons, as long as they are good reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
How will they even know you were in the program?

I think this is a poor decision unless you are fortunate enough to having everything paid for and have no loans. Medical school admissions I am sure is getting harder every year, I probably wouldn't even get in if I was applying now. You have a guaranteed spot as long as you maintain a certain level of academic performance which trust me is far below what you will need to if you go the tradtional route.

Reactions: 8 users
But the real question is: would you rather be a med student at school ZYX, or a doctor? Would you risk losing one for the other?

I think this is a poor decision unless you are fortunate enough to having everything paid for and have no loans. Medical school admissions I am sure is getting harder every year, I probably wouldn't even get in if I was applying now. You have a guaranteed spot as long as you maintain a certain level of academic performance which trust me is far below what you will need to if you go the tradtional route.
Depends on the BS/MD program, Wustl for example requires a 3.8 and 36+ MCAT

Depends on the BS/MD program, Wustl for example requires a 3.8 and 36+ MCAT
If OP is at WashU and is leaving, something's seriously wrong.

OP, my (unsolicited, since you only want to know if it's a red flag to leave) advice is to stay in the program you are in. This MD admissions game is not something you want to get involved with if you can avoid it and still become a doctor. It is very stressful, and you may genuinely have to regret the decisions that you make some day. Weight that very real option and how much you would regret staying. Obviously people, even in this thread, have done it and had success. But if I had the opportunity to go to ANY md school the day I sat down to take my MCAT I would have committed there. Even if it was the lowest ranked school there is. I'm very happy where I'm going, but a year ago I would have taken the sure thing.

But unless it shows up as a BS/MD on your transcript, I can't see it being much of a red flag. Then though, I could see it being one. Not much different than receiving an acceptance and deciding to re-apply the next year. Not sure if that's how adcoms would see it.

I would think long and hard about this. You already have a golden ticket that so many pre-meds will kill for. Are you ready to throw it away and have to jump through tons of hoops in a tedious and uncertain process?

Reactions: 4 users
If OP is at WashU and is leaving, something's seriously wrong.

OP, my (unsolicited, since you only want to know if it's a red flag to leave) advice is to stay in the program you are in. This MD admissions game is not something you want to get involved with if you can avoid it and still become a doctor. It is very stressful, and you may genuinely have to regret the decisions that you make some day. Weight that very real option and how much you would regret staying. Obviously people, even in this thread, have done it and had success. But if I had the opportunity to go to ANY md school the day I sat down to take my MCAT I would have committed there. Even if it was the lowest ranked school there is. I'm very happy where I'm going, but a year ago I would have taken the sure thing.

But unless it shows up as a BS/MD on your transcript, I can't see it being much of a red flag. Then though, I could see it being one. Not much different than receiving an acceptance and deciding to re-apply the next year. Not sure if that's how adcoms would see it.
I would think long and hard about this. You already have a golden ticket that so many pre-meds will kill for. Are you ready to throw it away and have to jump through tons of hoops in a tedious and uncertain process?

Agreed that OP should remain in the program since it's a guaranteed acceptance with only minimal requirements to remain in good standing. However, a critical factor is whether OP would enjoy remaining in the same area for 7-8 years. Usually, it should be fine, but there are cases when people just outright despise their undergrad (or love the undergrad but hate the med school) and effectively quit the program altogether.

Of course, i definitely would not see this happening at coveted programs, but for much lower ranked programs, it's a possible wildcard.

Go ahead, OP. Take the mystery box over the guaranteed acceptance to med school. It could be anything! It could be an acceptance to medical school!

You have a 1.5% chance of being admitted to any particular school in the country, roughly. Keep that in mind when you contemplate abandoning a certain path for a shot at your "dream school".

You've discussed the potential disadvantages of leaving. But why are you even considering it? What are the disadvantages of staying?

Do you hate the school? Hate the area? Hate some of your classmates or professors? Just looking for a more prestigious medical school?

Why are you considering leaving?

Reactions: 1 users
Haha most of you BS/MD students think you're smarter than you actually are. Survive through your sophomore year before taking the plunge.

Why dude? Just why.. Have you noticed the fear in some people here that are preparing to take the MCAT, the disappointment of those that don't get good scores, and the stress of applications + secondaries? Yeah, maybe if you left your current 3/4 program and took the traditional route you might get into a more prestigious medical school, but again, why? Can you please expound on that for me, because I'm not really getting your reasoning/rationale here..

It won't count against you; unless your program does it differently from the ones I'm familiar with, you don't have an "official" acceptance yet, so there'd be nothing to report to schools.

I assume your BS/MD program is binding, so if you'd significantly rather attend somewhere else, I think there's no harm in transferring and taking a chance on a real application cycle, if your stats are as on track as you say they are. The app cycle isn't as terrible as some people make it out to be, although it is stressful, and I personally think it's worth the chance if you won't be happy staying where you are.

Very few programs are binding. Giving up your spot is always an option

Binding as in you can't apply out without giving up your spot, since those seem to be the majority. I don't know any where you can't drop out period.

Only do it if your stats are strong and you are 90%+ sure you'll get in elsewhere. I had a friend is the rutgers/njms program apply out of the program. Obviously she lost her spot at njms but got in weill Cornell. Now she is doing her residency in ENT which is super competitive at Weill Cornell. Only do it if you are sure you can get in elsewhere. You can still go to a mediocre med school and match into competitive specialities if you are concerned about that. But I know some people who were mediocre Bs/Md students and who would literally get in nowhere else if they applied out so its wise for them to stay in. Sometimes I wonder how some students got into Bs/md. I know atleat 20 people from my HS throughout the years who got into these programs and frankly I question half of them their academic and maturity qualification. Another negative is that often these bs/md kids are not as mature and sociable and tend to do worse clinical years with patient interaction but they prob will do better preclinical years testing wise. If you want job security, do not apply out unless you are fairly confident you will get in elsewhere.

I'm pretty new to forums so i don't know how to do the whole tag the person and their comment thing, but I'll try to answer your questions
@DokterMom I complete hate and despise the undergrad that I am in currently. Everyday is a constant struggle for me and I can't seem to connect at all to the kids in my program. I've tried to find different hobbies and stress relievers but none seem to work. This program was not my first choice but I was sort of pushed into it. I seem to regret this decision day after day.
I understand that many would kill to be in a position that I am in, but if i am constantly miserable I question whether its worth it or not.
The program itself is not prestigious like the Washington program at all.

I do not think myself smarter than everyone else who is currently doing the traditional route at the moment. I just feel that I can also follow that route while also being relatively more content. I don't expect it to be easier or a walk in the park, I know it will be much more difficult. But I believe that I can get it done.

I'm pretty new to forums so i don't know how to do the whole tag the person and their comment thing, but I'll try to answer your questions
@DokterMom I complete hate and despise the undergrad that I am in currently. Everyday is a constant struggle for me and I can't seem to connect at all to the kids in my program. I've tried to find different hobbies and stress relievers but none seem to work. This program was not my first choice but I was sort of pushed into it. I seem to regret this decision day after day.
I understand that many would kill to be in a position that I am in, but if i am constantly miserable I question whether its worth it or not.
The program itself is not prestigious like the Washington program at all.

I do not think myself smarter than everyone else who is currently doing the traditional route at the moment. I just feel that I can also follow that route while also being relatively more content. I don't expect it to be easier or a walk in the park, I know it will be much more difficult. But I believe that I can get it done.

"This program was not my first choice but I was sort of pushed into it. I seem to regret this decision day after day."

Pushed into THIS particular program?
Pushed into BS/MD?
Or pushed into becoming a doctor?
By your parents?

You say you "hate and despise the undergrad" -- so the whole school? So you'd want to transfer out of X College and into University of Y?
Is it a school / location issue? Ex. You can't stand the northeast and want to go back to the west coast. Or he school is HUGE and you would thrive in a smaller school?
Or a type of student? Ex. They're all stuck up / preppy / frat bros / gunners / nerds.

Did you visit other colleges? And do you know the type of school you'd prefer? And why you'd prefer it? The last thing you'd want to do is exchange one bad situation for another while losing your MD guarantee in the process...

Sorry about all the questions, but these are the things you'll need to understand in order to make the right decision for your future. I'm inclined to agree with you that if you're miserable, you will NOT be doing your best work or experiencing the kind of academic and personal growth you need to experience while in college. These can be (should be) some amazing years, and if you're miserable the whole time because you're a 'square peg in a round hole', then frankly, that kind of thing stunts your growth, and you'll never grow into the person you want to and can become. The right college is out there somewhere.

(Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to reply publicly.)