Transferring programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kl3n

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice from residents who have transferred programs. How easy is it to transfer programs? Do I need to let my current program director know before even applying to another program? What were your experiences like? any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know who you are or where you are, but I'm curious why you have decided to leave the program. Was it personality conflicts, ethical issues, location, lack of quality cases, etc? Those answers may help me answer your question.

My reasons have to do with many factors. Along with some personality issues....One main thing is that I feel that there is lack of quality training compared to what some of my former classmates and other residents in other programs are being exposed to. I know that not all programs are created equal and that there is always good and bad programs. However I just want to be well prepared for anything and all most everything that will walk into my office one day. Isn't this what a residency is supposed to do in the first place? I read in other post regarding residents being frustrated about attendings not handing over the blade.....is this a norm in most programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a tough situation. As a former residency director I may be concerned about your reasons. If you have some personality issues at your current program, how do I know that won't happen in my program. I may also be concerned that you may not have done your homework if you are now questioning the quality of the program. Did you do any research or visit the program prior to applying and accepting the program?

These will definitely be concerns for any residency you are considering. There are some grads who don't get the chance to obtain a program, so some directors are hesitant to take someone who has already successfully landed a program.

Some attendings never turn over the knife. That's not the program, it's the surgeon. Additionally, I only allow a resident to cut if I have complete confidence in her/ his ability. It's not automatic, it's a privilege that has to be earned.

This is a tough situation. As a former residency director I may be concerned about your reasons. If you have some personality issues at your current program, how do I know that won't happen in my program. I may also be concerned that you may not have done your homework if you are now questioning the quality of the program. Did you do any research or visit the program prior to applying and accepting the program?

These will definitely be concerns for any residency you are considering. There are some grads who don't get the chance to obtain a program, so some directors are hesitant to take someone who has already successfully landed a program.

Some attendings never turn over the knife. That's not the program, it's the surgeon. Additionally, I only allow a resident to cut if I have complete confidence in her/ his ability. It's not automatic, it's a privilege that has to be earned.

The Wookie says:

Very wise advice, Master.

Although where I perform my tasks, I am known as someone a little more lax about handing over the delicate tasks to the Padawans that surround me, I absolutely agree with your statement. It IS a privilege earned.

Once again, well said, Master.