Transferring to an easier undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

Tawantinsuyu

Sorry that this topic always comes up. Would adcoms question why I transferred schools? Based off different posts here on SDN, it makes most sense to transfer to an easier undergrad in order to obtain a higher gpa. Would that be wise?

Members don't see this ad.

How hard is your institution. Unless you go to some place like MIT, I doubt there will a significant difference in grading.

How hard is your institution. Unless you go to some place like MIT, I doubt there will a significant difference in grading.

I feel like it's not so much the institution, but the people in my classes. Just a lot of extremely smart kids that are hard to compete with and get above the curve. I feel it will be vastly different at other schools in my state. I had classmates in high school that attend these schools and are excelling.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a lot of extremely smart kids that are hard to compete with.

That is med school, except even smarter kids that are even harder to compete with. If you can't compete with them on an undergraduate level, what makes you think you can compete with them at a medical school level?

IMO it would be better for you to reevaluate your study habits and try to do better where you are now, instead of taking an "easier" way out and becoming a big fish in a small pond. Because taking an easier way out once you get to med school is just not an option at all.

Reactions: 5 users
That is med school, except even smarter kids that are even harder to compete with. If you can't compete with them on an undergraduate level, what makes you think you can compete with them at a medical school level?

IMO it would be better for you to reevaluate your study habits and try to do better where you are now, instead of taking an "easier" way out and becoming a big fish in a small pond. Because taking an easier way out once you get to med school is just not an option at all.

Wouldn't taking the easier way out now still make it easier to get into med school because of a most likely higher gpa?

Wouldn't taking the easier way out now still make it easier to get into med school because of a most likely higher gpa?

You're missing the point and just thinking about the instant gratification. A good GPA looks nice on paper, yes. What doesn't look so nice is struggling to pass med school classes because you're suddenly slammed with the same problem you're trying to run from now. The super smart kids who you're struggling to compete against now are 10x smarter in med school and the struggle is going to be that much harder. Why not improve yourself now so that you have the skills to actually compete in med school?

I'm sure you're capable of competing with them, it's just a matter of changing what you're doing and working harder. Ultimately you can do whatever you want and whatever you think is best. But to answer your first question, adcoms can see that you changed schools, and it would depend on the individual committee members to interpret how they feel about that.

Reactions: 3 users
You're missing the point and just thinking about the instant gratification. A good GPA looks nice on paper, yes. What doesn't look so nice is struggling to pass med school classes because you're suddenly slammed with the same problem you're trying to run from now. The super smart kids who you're struggling to compete against now are 10x smarter in med school and the struggle is going to be that much harder. Why not improve yourself now so that you have the skills to actually compete in med school?

I'm sure you're capable of competing with them, it's just a matter of changing what you're doing and working harder. Ultimately you can do whatever you want and whatever you think is best. But to answer your first question, adcoms can see that you changed schools, and it would depend on the individual committee members to interpret how they feel about that.

Adcoms must give a little leeway based on undergrad institution? I don't see how they can take two students who attended two different undergrad institutions of different intensities and pretend that the gpas were earned under equal conditions?

Adcoms must give a little leeway based on undergrad institution? I don't see how they can take two students who attended two different undergrad institutions of different intensities and pretend that the gpas were earned under equal conditions?

If you attend a notoriously difficult undergraduate, or one known for grade deflation, then yes, adcoms often give leeway in GPA.

This is also why the whole application is important, not just numbers. GPA is not a perfect metric for aptitude. Also why there is the MCAT, which is standardized and doesn't matter what school you attend.

Reactions: 2 users

I believe my current institution does have a higher percentage of students accepted to med school than "easier" institutions in my area. That percentage is only for applicants my school deems competitive for med school admissions. Would it make sense, after another year at my current institution, to transfer if I don't see an increase in GPA?

This bugs me. I need to get off this forum. Don't transfer colleges just to go to an easier one. That's ridiculous. Are you listening to yourself? Just work harder! I also went to a huge reach school and was shocked when I was surrounded by all these people who seemed smarter and more prepared than I was. But by working harder than any of them (which actually wasn't too hard as a freshman), I did very well.

I've been told that undergrad will be cake walk in comparison to med school. Better to get your act together now.

EDIT: Don't be that scheming, robotic premed.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe my current institution does have a higher percentage of students accepted to med school than "easier" institutions in my area. That percentage is only for applicants my school deems competitive for med school admissions. Would it make sense, after another year at my current institution, to transfer if I don't see an increase in GPA?
Bro, I want to know which school you attend? Harvard or MIT or University of Aliens...... Just kidding. The point I want to make is did you put your 100% into it? Did you fully (100%) master the material you learned? Where did you stand in your class even if you had fully (100%) mastered the contents? If you sure you fully mastered everything and still did average or poor, i would say you must be attending a school full of genius and you have a legitimate reason to transfer. If not, put some effort and work harder. Otherwise, once you transfer to another school, you probably will opt to find some even easier school.

They might.

Sorry that this topic always comes up. Would adcoms question why I transferred schools? Based off different posts here on SDN, it makes most sense to transfer to an easier undergrad in order to obtain a higher gpa.

For you, yes, especially if the school is a known feeder to med schools. But if you're switching from U Chicago to Weber State, then you might be in trouble. At the end of the day, we want to see people excel, no matter where they go to school.
Would that be wise?

I can see that you're either ignoring or not understanding my learned young colleague Ismet, so all I can say is pay heed to his words. medical school will be a LOT harder than anything you've experienced at the UG level.

And never, ever, in our Adcom meetings do the terms "grade inflation" or grade deflation" get discussed.

Sorry that this topic always comes up. Would adcoms question why I transferred schools? Based off different posts here on SDN, it makes most sense to transfer to an easier undergrad in order to obtain a higher gpa. Would that be wise?

Just work harder. People get A's at every school, so it's not impossible for you to get A's either. There have been quite a few success stories on SDN where people at grade deflating schools pull their act together and ace their classes after adjusting. Guess how well they're going to do in med school? Pretty damn well.

They might.

Sorry that this topic always comes up. Would adcoms question why I transferred schools? Based off different posts here on SDN, it makes most sense to transfer to an easier undergrad in order to obtain a higher gpa.

For you, yes, especially if the school is a known feeder to med schools. But if you're switching from U Chicago to Weber State, then you might be in trouble. At the end of the day, we want to see people excel, no matter where they go to school.
Would that be wise?

I can see that you're either ignoring or not understanding my learned young colleague Ismet, so all I can say is pay heed to his words. medical school will be a LOT harder than anything you've experienced at the UG level.

And never, ever, in our Adcom meetings do the terms "grade inflation" or grade deflation" get discussed.

I believe Ismet is a she. :p

Two points to consider:

• Don't you have some IA issues that might be better served by staying where you are and redeeming your reputation? and

• Consider which school will better prepare you for life if you don't go to medical school. Using @Goro's example, which degree would be worth more in general?

Reactions: 1 user
Being a Dr Who fan, I should have paid more attention to your avatar!

Haha no worries, happens all the time. My username is technically a boy's name and I'm sure the blue avatar doesn't help either![/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 users