Transferring to UC from CSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirdunity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question -

I am thinking of transferring from my junior college to State, then transferring to UC Davis from State (Sacramento State or SFSU).

Here are some things I'm considering:
Prior to very recently, I have an extremely poor record - I have very good grades on the one hand (in recent years - mostly As, and a handful of Bs, in nearly every class I've completed), but a HUGE number of W's. Plus, I have two fails from my first year of college at 18 [I'm 31 - non-trad student] that are in extremely obscure classes that I haven't been able to find an equivalent for, so I can't repeat them. I am looking into petitioning to get them dropped if I can.

Transferring immediately into a CSU would give me a chance to start fresh at the CSU school (which I can get into in just one more semester - if not lots sooner). I am thinking I could potentially just start fresh and build an excellent record at State, then transfer to Davis.

Also, my major at Davis requires a whole lot of prerequisite courses before I can transfer into it - which means that I'm stuck taking these at a JC if I want to make any kind of reasonable time toward graduation. These courses (because I'm a bio major) are the same as my pre-med prerequisite courses.

Is this a bad idea?? Something I pulled out of my butt? Or is it something worth looking into? Will the adcoms look unfavorably at the fact that I've attended about ten community colleges (because of moving a lot, and only going to school intermittently until recently) and two universities?

Or will an excellent record at State, after making a fresh start, help me out?

Should I consider a private college, like Mills, which I could probably get into reasonably quickly?

Will the adcoms look at the fact that I graduated from UC, or will they be dismayed that I went to state at all, or look at it as "unstable" that I've been to so many schools?

Thanks.

I'm just tired of doing the community college dance.

Members don't see this ad.

thirdunity said:
Is this a bad idea?? Something I pulled out of my butt? Or is it something worth looking into? Will the adcoms look unfavorably at the fact that I've attended about ten community colleges (because of moving a lot, and only going to school intermittently until recently) and two universities?

Thirdunity,

Transferring from a CSU to a UC is extremely difficult. I tell you this as someone who is transferring to CAL this fall, and who is well versed with the transfer process. If I were you, I'd stick with it at the JC you're at and make sure you get a competative GPA and do well at Davis.

thirdunity said:
Or will an excellent record at State, after making a fresh start, help me out?
This will not help you out as much as a higher GPA.

thirdunity said:
Should I consider a private college, like Mills, which I could probably get into reasonably quickly?
Going to a private institution may be better for you if you think you'll do well there, but don't rush yourself. The last thing you want to do is earn mediocre stats at college.

thirdunity said:
Will the adcoms look at the fact that I graduated from UC, or will they be dismayed that I went to state at all, or look at it as "unstable" that I've been to so many schools?
I'm not sure it will look unstable, but graduating from a UC is seen favorably by adcoms. A school like Davis has more resources for pre-meds including research than any CSU and most private schools in California.

thirdunity said:
Thanks.

I'm just tired of doing the community college dance.

Understandably so, but consider it a necessary evil.

thirdunity said:
Question -

I am thinking of transferring from my junior college to State, then transferring to UC Davis from State (Sacramento State or SFSU).

Like what Babooshka said, transfering from CSU to UC is almost impossible due to the fact that UC gives priority to freshmens and JC transfer students. I personally transferred from CSU (SJSU) to JC (Foothill College) and luckily got in cal. If you really are thinking of going to CSU first then make sure your total UC transferrable units (including JC and CSU courses that are UC transferable) don't exceed the limit cap. I don't know why but UCs (except UC Irvine) set a unit cap on students who have attened a 4 year institute. I was declined by UCSC b/c of excess units.

Check here,

http://www.universityofcalifornia.e...nfo/transfer/advising/answers/applying.html#5

From my own experience, you are probably better off staying at your current junior college and sign a transfer agreement with UCD.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi-

I agree with the above posters, it's pretty tough to transfer from a CSU to a UC. i think you should go wherever is a good fit for you. as long as the grades are good wherever you go, i would think you'd be fine. i do have to disagree with one of the above posters as to the resources for medical school at UC's vs CSU's. it may be the case that some of the UC's have more resources, but i'm at a CSU and we have (personal opinion) one of the best pre-health advisors in the country. she's absolutely fantastic. the point of what i'm saying: check out the schools you're interested in, find out the resources available through that school... that also may help you decide where to go.

good luck!

It's possible to transfer from a CSU to a UC. I applied for transfer after 2 years at Cal Poly and was accepted to UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UC Davis, UC Riverside and UC Santa Barbara. I elected to stay at Cal Poly though.

LT2 said:
i do have to disagree with one of the above posters as to the resources for medical school at UC's vs CSU's. it may be the case that some of the UC's have more resources, but i'm at a CSU and we have (personal opinion) one of the best pre-health advisors in the country.
good luck!

Thanks for calling me out on that one. I should have been more specific and have said that UCs have more research opportunities specifically.

More money is certainly poured into research at UC's, but at the two cal poly campuses, a senior project is required for graduation. This guarantees an opportunity for research. Of course grad research is way better at UC's, but undergrad research at the poly's is not to be disregarded.

edit: didn't address the question. I'd stick it out at the JuCo. Far better chance of getting into UCD.

I'm kinda in the same situation as you. I'm currently attending a community college and will be transferring to Davis next year. My CC has a transfer agreement with Davis so if I take the classes that assist.org says I need, to transfer, then I'm guaranteed admission. There's nothing wrong with taking pre-reqs at community college. I'll have taken all but organic at my CC because I'm required to in order to transfer to Davis. Your CC might also have something called Academic Renewal like mine does. It allows you to drop classes from your transcript if it's been more than 2 years since you've taken the course. This should remove those F's on your transcript. I'd say stick to the CC and transfer to Davis after meeting the pre-reqs. Check assist.org for transfer agreements between your CC and Davis.