Transferring Universities, GPA Chance and Graduate Program Before Medical School: What do you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeachEm

Not Your Mom
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've got a couple of questions up my sleeve, and I would really appreciate it if people could be honest in what they think is right.

1. I go to a public university in California (California State University). The classes are relatively easy, the workload isn't impossible and my grades seem to show it. I thought it would be best in the interest of medical school to consider transferring out into a more "prestigious" university. However, a lot of professors have begun suggesting that I stay, citing that staying here will grant me access to more resources and competition wouldn't be as difficult, compared to a higher-ranking university. What do you think is the best option for me?

2. I'm currently a sophomore, averaging at a 3.55 GPA. I haven't taken my MCAT yet, but what would be a competitive GPA for decent medical schools, and what MCAT scores would be necessary to support that GPA?

3. I am very interested in teaching psychology to a college audience. In a previous thread, members informed me that physicians with a residency in psychiatry are technically not qualified to teach a college course. After talking to professors, they suggested that I partake in a Master's Degree Program in Psychology, applying for medical schools and taking the MCATs during that time frame. They told me that having a Master's Degree and being a part of research would boost my application quality significantly, and would allow me to pursue teaching if I chose to do so afterwards. What do you think of this idea?

Please be honest, but there is a line between being honest and being rude, so refrain from crossing it. I really do appreciate people taking the time out to look at this and respond. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I hope you realize a 3.55 is actually below average for medical school (3.68). So transfering to a more prestigious school, which will likely be harder will only lower your already low grade point average....good luck applying MD with a 3.17 :)

WeRunThis

While research experience would help your app, doing a masters will not help in and of itself. Also, your GPA doesn't show that your classes are easy as it is sub par for MD schools