Transferring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lola87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to transfer to another pharmacy school after completing P1 in another pharmacy school? How about transferring after P2? I know that pharmacy programs are different from school to school, so for those that have transferred, did you have to retake classes or were you behind?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

How hard is it to transfer to another pharmacy school after completing P1 in another pharmacy school? How about transferring after P2? I know that pharmacy programs are different from school to school, so for those that have transferred, did you have to retake classes or were you behind?

Thank you!

My class picked up two pharmacy school transfers I believe. Because my class was 1PDs I have to conclude that these student repeated their first year. I am not familiar with their situations though. One came in during the spring semester so it may have been during his first year anyway. I wouldn't know. My understanding is that it's quite difficult to transfer, but I have no personal experience in the matter.

Thank you!

May I ask why you're already thinking about transferring? Since you have not started your P1 yet, you could also hold off on starting pharmacy school and reapply this year to wherever you want to transfer to (though you would miss out on the opportunity of being my classmate :))

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask why you're already thinking about transferring? Since you have not started your P1 yet, you could also hold off on starting pharmacy school and reapply this year to wherever you want to transfer to (though you would miss out on the opportunity of being my classmate :))
There are some people who didn't get into the COP of their choice. That's why.

I don't want to transfer, UM is my first choice and I'm looking forward to being your classmate in the fall:). However, I may be moving a year from now so I wanted to know how difficult it is to transfer.

My class picked up two pharmacy school transfers I believe. Because my class was 1PDs I have to conclude that these student repeated their first year. I am not familiar with their situations though. One came in during the spring semester so it may have been during his first year anyway. I wouldn't know. My understanding is that it's quite difficult to transfer, but I have no personal experience in the matter.

What are 1PDs?

It is really really difficult to transfer. The number of "transfer students" that any school takes is usually not even in the double digits (less than 10a year). And usually many of the classes they took don't get transferred. The student usually just starts over as a P1 again. If it looks like you'll be moving, you are better off taking the year off and reapplying so you can save your money and time.

**If I were you, I would ask the dean/admission committee, etc at the school you got accepted into if you can defer your acceptance. (So that you will start the fall of next year rather than this year. I have often heard of schools holding a spot for accepted students until the following year). Do this as early as you can, like today. Then in the mean time apply to schools near wherever you are moving. That way you save your money and you don't have to really give anything up =)

Hope that helps:)

Thank you!
My school does not permit transfers. Many curricula are so integrated that transfer simply isn't possible.