Transition Metal Electron Configs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so some transition metals have partially filled s orbitals instead of what we expect. For example, for Cr we would expect [Ar] 4s^2 3d^4 but it's really 4s^1 3d^5 and for Cu we'd expect [Ar] 4s^2 3d^9 but it's really [Ar] 4s^1 3d^10

Does this only happen when we can partially fill (1 electron in each orbital) or fully complete the d orbital? I know this also happens for other transition metals but not for others. For example V has an electron configuration [Ar] 4s^2 3d^3. I thought it would've been [Ar] 4s^1 3d^4. Does the s orbital only get ripped off if we can somehow partially or fully complete the d orbital? I hate transition metals.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so some transition metals have partially filled s orbitals instead of what we expect. For example, for Cr we would expect [Ar] 4s^2 3d^4 but it's really 4s^1 3d^5 and for Cu we'd expect [Ar] 4s^2 3d^9 but it's really [Ar] 4s^1 3d^10

Does this only happen when we can partially fill (1 electron in each orbital) or fully complete the d orbital? I know this also happens for other transition metals but not for others. For example V has an electron configuration [Ar] 4s^2 3d^3. I thought it would've been [Ar] 4s^1 3d^4. Does the s orbital only get ripped off if we can somehow partially or fully complete the d orbital? I hate transition metals.

Yes. It's only if it can have a partially filled d orbital or completely filled one. Don't despair. If you're like me you get 8/10 and get angry at the two you missed. However, realize that getting it right here doesn't matter. Whenever I miss something, I never miss a question again because the mistake is always brought up. Keep plugging away. Also, this is what separates those who score 35+ and those who don't. You saw a special case (filling of half filled) and blindly tried to apply it. Do not do this. Always think. On the MCAT they like to give you seemingly easy questions and people answer them quickly without noting that they made a subtle change. I'm convinced this is the reason.

Since summer of 07 everyone has said the MCAT is hard. So, those saying 09 is harder are full of it. The MCAT evolved because the average got to high, 25.1. The percentile remained the same so they upped ante to get back up to 24 and to counter test prep. The key is to make sure you have the basics cold so you can apply it. Most people don't and that's why they struggle.

This only happens when the d orbital can be half-filled (d^5) or filled (d^10). It gives the atom more stability.

Yes. It's only if it can have a partially filled d orbital or completely filled one. Don't despair. If you're like me you get 8/10 and get angry at the two you missed. However, realize that getting it right here doesn't matter. Whenever I miss something, I never miss a question again because the mistake is always brought up. Keep plugging away. Also, this is what separates those who score 35+ and those who don't. You saw a special case (filling of half filled) and blindly tried to apply it. Do not do this. Always think. On the MCAT they like to give you seemingly easy questions and people answer them quickly without noting that they made a subtle change. I'm convinced this is the reason.

Since summer of 07 everyone has said the MCAT is hard. So, those saying 09 is harder are full of it. The MCAT evolved because the average got to high, 25.1. The percentile remained the same so they upped ante to get back up to 24 and to counter test prep. The key is to make sure you have the basics cold so you can apply it. Most people don't and that's why they struggle.

Thanks!! :):):)