Transitional year for anesthesia, 4 interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cactus07

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the course of the interview trail I had been convinced to try for a TY year as EVERY single anesthesia resident who did one highly recommended it- more time in the OR (electives), more procedures, and generally just more perks. I had made the decision late in the interview season, which leads me to possibly have 4 TY interviews that I had to make a bit of an effort to get (call/email). I'm wondering if anyone could check my credentials and have some perspective on my chances to match, as I have no idea what to expect for TY year competitiveness. Oh and to clarify, I don't need to match advanced, as I have interviewed mostly for categorical programs, but now it would be my preference.

Step 1 259
Step 2 265
Honors in every course
AOA
Plethora of volunteer work that's relatively unique and meaningful
Research with poster presentation only in undergrad, relatively interesting research though
I also attended a research conference in San Francisco and did a unique 2 week internship/volunteer thing in Memphis
And I tend to interview well (I think)

Programs I'd be interviewing at include-
UND Fargo
Aurora health in Milwaukee
Gundersen Lutheran in La Crosse
Beaumont/Oakwood in Dearborn

- and I'm originally from MN

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I'm wondering if people would chance it- and rank advanced over categorical, or just play it safe with categorical. Can't say I want to endure a surgical prelim year...