Transitional year statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerofequality

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I haven't really looked into transitional years much since I'm mostly focused on the main residency, but I heard there's a bit more kush and I wanted to learn a little bit more about them, like what stats they want, average work hours, and what are some programs they may have in the mid-west, since that's where I'd rather stay for my intern year.

Some pertinent stats of mine:

Step 1 score: 241
GPA sucks, (like 3.06 I think), not sure if that matters
My only honors so far is in IM, high passed psych and Ob/Gyn and sat-passed family and gen surg, no peds grade yet.

So if you guys can, let me know what some of these TY programs want and your thoughts on some of these programs.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Also if anyone happens to have info on the Mercy Hospital (St. Louis) TY Program that'd be awesome as well

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I haven't really looked into transitional years much since I'm mostly focused on the main residency, but I heard there's a bit more kush and I wanted to learn a little bit more about them, like what stats they want, average work hours, and what are some programs they may have in the mid-west, since that's where I'd rather stay for my intern year.

Some pertinent stats of mine:

Step 1 score: 241
GPA sucks, (like 3.06 I think), not sure if that matters
My only honors so far is in IM, high passed psych and Ob/Gyn and sat-passed family and gen surg, no peds grade yet.

So if you guys can, let me know what some of these TY programs want and your thoughts on some of these programs.

Thanks

Most of the TYs I interviewed at really focused on my whole application I felt like (other than 1). I still think you need the numbers to get in the door tho.

I don't have any hard numbers on who gets interviews/gets in - but yes the cush ones are competitive.

I believe Mercy is probably a reach if you're not from WashU med or going to STL for residency (i.e. radiology at Mallinckrodt). Overall, TY programs are competitive, and many are more competitive than the advanced programs people theoretically care more about. The people applying include derm, rads, rad onc, and ophtho, all "competitive" fields.

There's never harm in applying to the TYs of your interest, but you also need to apply to prelim medicine programs etc as well. A decent number of people underapply to their intern year and end up scrambling into some awful prelim surgery program.

Reactions: 1 user
Http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf

2009 is the last year for transitional year programs being listed in charting outcomes. My take after doing a cush TY is that cush+good location = insane competition. Good location OR cush = around average in charting outcomes. There are some not cush TY programs in average or less desirable locations and those are below average competition.

Cush TY programs are insanely competitive.

Also if anyone happens to have info on the Mercy Hospital (St. Louis) TY Program that'd be awesome as well

I have a close friend who is currently finishing up TY at Mercy. I don't know much about the program as I applied for categorical positions only, but I know that my friend graduated in the top 1/3 from WashU last year, and has an advanced position with WashU Rad Onc lined up. His co-interns include, to my knowledge, a future Yale Ophtho resident and a future WashU Derm resident. By his account, it sounds very cushy. He also raves about their cafeteria food and brags about how he gets enough free cafeteria money to eat all his meals there and then some.

I'm at a notoriously Cush TY prog in the Midwest. More than half of next yrs class are AOA. I am probably the dumbest person at this prog. Everyone I met while giving tours had crazy CVs. It is very regional as well. I think only ⅓ are leaving the city. Can't hurt applying though. I am so glad I did this instead of prelim med.

My impression of the notoriously cush TY in the midwest I went to was that they traditionally take all the top students from nearby medical schools. They welcome some diversity from people outside of the area. The reality is that most medical students don't want to "move twice" and don't consider TY programs outside their region. Thus, the programs are often self selected for people who went to medical school in their area and/or matched in their area for their categorical program. But after my experience interviewing and doing the TY, it seemed like it wasn't some programs intent to only/mostly have people from the region.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm at a notoriously Cush TY prog in the Midwest. More than half of next yrs class are AOA. I am probably the dumbest person at this prog. Everyone I met while giving tours had crazy CVs. It is very regional as well. I think only ⅓ are leaving the city. Can't hurt applying though. I am so glad I did this instead of prelim med.

What state is this TY in?

It seems like all the transitionals at that program are from WashU/SLU or are doing residency in St. Louis.

I have a close friend who is currently finishing up TY at Mercy. I don't know much about the program as I applied for categorical positions only, but I know that my friend graduated in the top 1/3 from WashU last year, and has an advanced position with WashU Rad Onc lined up. His co-interns include, to my knowledge, a future Yale Ophtho resident and a future WashU Derm resident. By his account, it sounds very cushy. He also raves about their cafeteria food and brags about how he gets enough free cafeteria money to eat all his meals there and then some.
:eek:

In rad onc we see a lot of people with impressive extracurriculars or other experiences that could be considered work or volunteering related (med business, industry, global health, etc). We also have a lot of applicants (MD and MD/PhD) who have significant amounts of research experience, publications, and sometimes grants and patents as well. This is all typically combined with above average to outstanding med school and MCAT performances.