Transitioning from medical school to residency in EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roguetwelve12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody. Matched into EM (woot!) last week, and I'm starting to turn my mind towards mentally prepping for residency. I'm wondering if there are any opinions about good reading material to brush up/refresh for the time between graduation/beginning of residency (roughly 5 weeks), mostly because I haven't had an EM rotation since September. Just want to read for an hour or two a day to feel like I'm doing something and to really re-establish a great basis in EM prior to starting residency.

Internet searches haven't really turned anything up. Any opinions on a good source to use? Blueprints, Case Files, etc? What you've heard/done?

Thanks everybody. Hope all is well.

Members don't see this ad.

Nap. Lots of napping. That's the best plan. If you insist on reading or doing something productive after napping then EMRAP or Critical Decisions in EM are probably 2 good things that are presented in somewhat digestable portions

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd try to enjoy the time off, it's probably the last prolonged break you're going to get until retirement. Podcasts like EMRAP, CCPEM and Emcrit are good and you can listen while you work out. For reading, the first section (~180 pp) of Rosens is a nice overview, I also read Bouncebacks and Avoiding Common Errors in the Emergency Department my intern year and found both very useful and practical.

Podcasts, or Emergency Medicine Secrets.

Dont do anything academic. For real.

Stop it, kids. No more of these threads.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry guys wasn't trying to piss anybody off.

Appreciate the replies all the same.

I understand the desire of wanting to be ready for the next step. The ugly truth is that you're not and you can't be. The biggest issue isn't going to be your knowledge base (although that is an issue) but that you've never been asked to do what you're going to be asked to do in residency. Most student's EM rotations have very little in common with what their on-service months are like as an intern. Likewise, the level of responsibility and cognitive load off-service is significantly higher than during your non-EM months. It's not going to be not knowing the third line treatment for thyroid storm that is the problem but being able to synthesize a patient's (focused) history and physical into a differential diagnosis while juggling other patients' care that's difficult. And unfortunately there's no way of prepping for that.

On the plus side, the system is designed with this in mind so that's something.

I was considering taking step 3 before July. Seems like it would be a nice review and would be nice to get it out of the way.
Dude just do it at the end of first year if you can

I'd say for me, personally, since I have been out of medical school for a couple years and out of residency for one year that I'll do some reading and pod-casts to refresh my knowledge base which has atrophied. But for a medical student fresh out of school, you'll be fine. If you struggled before with knowledge base stuff, then by all means do some light reading and light podcasts, but like everyone has said it's better to just enjoy your time, get all the little things squared away like finding a place to live, meeting people, visiting your friends and family (as you may be moving far away).

Dont do anything academic. For real.

Stop it, kids. No more of these threads.

Just be a normal person for the next few months... it's your last chance. No matter what you read you won't be ready. Just be prepared to work hard and get your ass handed to you.

My new PD called on match day and said that between now and orientation he expects us to go on vacation and bring back good pictures. He made it clear that he expects us to have 4th year induced brain atrophy.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are adamant about reading something, pick up a copy of "12-Lead ECG: The Art of Interpretation" by Tomas Garcia. Otherwise, your time will be full enough with moving to a new city, unpacking, and learning about the area.

my advice… enjoy the next few months before residency starts. Take care of yourself, have some fun. Read something for fun. Once residency starts you will not have much time for yourself.