Transitive property of medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubbbie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've interviewed at a pretty wide range of schools and talked to a lot of students, and I've been intrigued by this phenomenon and mentally trying to work through it as I make my own personal med school decisions:

When I was at Columbia, I met someone who picked Columbia over Johns Hopkins. Not too crazy, right?

When I was at Pittsburgh, I met someone who picked Pitt over Columbia. Again, seemed like a pretty reasonable decision.

When I was at Case, I met someone who picked Case over Pitt.

I didn't visit OHSU, but I met several people who picked OHSU over Case.

I met a few people who picked U Wisconsin over OHSU when I was visiting U Wisconsin.

Then I met someone who picked MCW over U Wisconsin.

And then I've met someone who chose Rush over MCW. And then I also know plenty of people who like Rosalind Franklin over Rush.

And I've seen these all posted on this site in vs. threads as well. And all of these comparisons I've made above seem relatively equally matched.

Now, I'm not a very math-oriented person, but I seem to remember something about transitive relations ... if a = b and b = c, then a = c. If Johns Hopkins = Columbia, and Columbia = Pitt, and Pitt = Case, and Case = OHSU ... etc. then Johns Hopkins = Rosalind Franklin? And so on to infinity (or to Caribbean)

Where does it end???

I know this seems absurd, but I keep playing this out in my mind and in my own situation. In my mind, absent any financial or locational motivations, I think it would be quite unsual for me to pick Case over Columbia. But I know plenty of people who pick Pitt over Columbia and plenty of people who pick Case over Pitt. So what makes the leap from Columbia to Case to Rosalind Franklin really that huge?

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=7640

Members don't see this ad.

you're overthinking this.

just go where you will be the happiest and perform your best.

A cardiologist who I was talking to said to me regarding med school admissions:

"In retrospect, med school is med school. Go where you think you'll be happiest and do well, because you learn all the same stuff."

Members don't see this ad :)
I met someone who picked OSU over Columbia.

take that, Kevin Bacon.

Well, it doesn't necessarily carry down the entire list, because I'd move to California for Stanford, but I wasn't willing to move to Madison for UWisc. So I went to MCW. There were other factors too, but location definitely pushed it over the top. I'm from Milwaukee, and all of my family is here, along with my wife's family.