Translating for a PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tortugasninjas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you saying you were shadowing a PT and he/she asked you to translate a foreign language that the PT did not speak? I don't see that as being bad. My hospital has the following preference for translators: trained staff -> translation hotline -> untrained staff -> friends/family (never minors). Do you intend on putting that on an application?

I'm Mexican and I work as a PT Tech and do this ALL of the time. I didn't put it in my personal statement though. Instead, I wrote about my life experience and why I wanted to be a PT and talked about my mother going through PT and that I TRANSLATED for HER when she did her rehab... I then spoke about my job... so from there, they can see that I was born in Mexico, spoke spanish, translated for my mom....and work as a PT Tech. I feel like writing a statement down as "I'm experienced in translating" is less appealing than using an example.... BUT by all means... write about that event and how it was a great experience to do that as an observer.