Transpersonal Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spirit guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I was wondering if anyone knew about transpersonal psychology certificates for post-graduates. I found one online from the Institute of transpersonal psychology.

As for using the skills you learn from the curriculum, is it good to have if you want to incorporate spirituality in a psychological form with your clients? I would imagine so....

So if any of you have any information or advice or listing for such certificates please reply below. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Be well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi :)

I'm no expert, but here's my .02

I venture a guess that majority of people here think transpersonal psychology has no place in clinical practice. Transpersonal psych is generally non-scientific, so scientists tend to reject it.

I think the transpersonal stuff is interesting philosophy and does have a basis in reality. For example, I don't know anyone who denies that Jung's archetypes describe a real facet of human psychology. However, applying these types of theories to clinical practice is dicey. Practicing it will place you outside of mainstream psychological science.

Anywho, training in transpersonal psych would probably have to be in addition to a more traditional program that would lead to a licence to practice psychology. After (or while) gaining that licence, you could go for the "certificiate" that would presumably teach you transpersonal techniques that you could integrate into clinical practice.

I think if you go to a transpersonal Ph.D./PsyD program, you may be able to get a licence to practice as a therapist if you jump through a bunch of hoops, but it might be a big risk.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the reply.
Some people view it as that yes. sadly.
I plan on getting my LMHC/LPC and LMFT before doing the certificate.
The program I'm doing is a licensure track for both.
I think spirituality needs to be addressed more in psychology, but that's just me ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Spirit Guy,

I would tend to agree with you as I have had several sessions with a transpersonal psychologist in Vancouver B.C. over the years, and each time it's been a positive, energizing experience. The sessions I've had have helped me grow spiritually and personally in ways I never thought of, and it helped me focus my goals and find paths I would have never considered.

That said, this therapist has a PhD Psychology from a mainstream University, though I'm not sure in which field. My understanding is that the transpersonal side of her practice she learned post graduation through years of training and experience. I don't think that there are many, if any degrees that allow a student to specialize in transpersonal psychology for the reasons the previous poster mentioned. I would think that you have to get the transpersonal training on your own outside of the typical graduate school programs.

I'm not sure about the States, but in Canada there are graduate schools which offer counselling PhD programs with a theological focus, so perhaps finding a program along those lines that offers post-graduate training, would be more in tune with what you want to do.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
The Naropa Institute in Boulder, CO offers a degree in Transpersonal Psychology as well as certificates for those who already have post-graduate work in psych.