Trauma Surgery Clerkship Question: Cooper vs Rutgers @ Newark?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgGirl13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all-- I need your help!
I was accepted into both the Cooper and the Rutgers @Newark Trauma Surgery clerkship programs, 1 month at each. I don't know which one to pick-- does anyone know which one is better/busier? Or which one would allow me to see the most intense/crazy stuff? Where I would learn the most? Any input is appreciated!!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

See if you can get this moved to the surgery thread. They will probably have better knowledge of this than those of us in this part of the forum (unless people from those places happen to see this).

See if you can get this moved to the surgery thread. They will probably have better knowledge of this than those of us in this part of the forum (unless people from those places happen to see this).
That would be against the rules as the OP is a medical student asking about clinical rotations; this is the appropriate forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all-- I need your help!
I was accepted into both the Cooper and the Rutgers @Newark Trauma Surgery clerkship programs, 1 month at each. I don't know which one to pick-- does anyone know which one is better/busier? Or which one would allow me to see the most intense/crazy stuff? Where I would learn the most? Any input is appreciated!!

Thanks!

The EAST website has an overview of both programs: https://www.east.org/professional-development/fellowships#state-NJ

I'll admit I'm biased as being a chief resident at Rutgers Newark, but I'll answer Rutgers Newark for two reasons. One, I think you will get a crazier exposure here than Camden, which is what your question was. We are definitely the busiest level 1 in the state. The second is the weight and power and influence a letter of recommendation from your trauma rotation here, both if you want to match here, or just in general. Dr. David Livingston is the trauma director and is the president of WESTERN trauma society I believe (it may be EAST). He's a major heavy weight in the field. Our chairwoman, Dr. Anne Mosenthal is also trauma critical care. If you get in with those two, we will rank you highly, and if you get a letter from Livingston it will be recognized on many other interviews, particularly at trauma centers. Camden doesn't have that