Trauma Surgery, ICU, & Peds EM rotations????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread has been removed, due to inappropriate use of the thread.

Members don't see this ad.

OSUdoc08 said:
I live in Texas/Oklahoma and am looking for rotations in Trauma Surgery, ICU, and Pediatric Emergency Medicine.

I would prefer something within a driveable distance and with housing/meals provided, but I am open to other locations/opportunities as well.

Thanks for your feedback.

(A drivable distance would include the following states: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana.)

How do you live in both Texas and Oklahoma? Nevermind. Are you talking 3rd or 4th year rotations? If you can make it all the way to Tennessee, try Vanderbilt for your ICU month. I doubt anyone would give you housing or meals no matter where you go unless it's a special program with a stipend and you'd be competing for that prize.

Pox in a box said:
How do you live in both Texas and Oklahoma? Nevermind. Are you talking 3rd or 4th year rotations? If you can make it all the way to Tennessee, try Vanderbilt for your ICU month. I doubt anyone would give you housing or meals no matter where you go unless it's a special program with a stipend and you'd be competing for that prize.

I attend school in Oklahoma, but my permanent address is with my parents in Texas. I'm interested in 4th year rotations.

Most of the rotations in Oklahoma offer housing, and I have some friends in Ohio that not only offer housing, but they pay for a hotel for you to stay in. I'm interested to find out if there are any other programs that do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
UT Southwestern in Dallas might have something youre looking for. But I bet you've already checked there. They have a list of all their electives on their website.
OSUdoc08 said:
I attend school in Oklahoma, but my permanent address is with my parents in Texas. I'm interested in 4th year rotations.

Most of the rotations in Oklahoma offer housing, and I have some friends in Ohio that not only offer housing, but they pay for a hotel for you to stay in. I'm interested to find out if there are any other programs that do this.

nabeya said:
UT Southwestern in Dallas might have something youre looking for. But I bet you've already checked there. They have a list of all their electives on their website.

I'm already going to try to do an EM rotation there, and I may only be able to do one more. Either way, they are very competitive, and I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get a rotation there. I definitely need other options.

Thanks.

Does OSU not have any good clinical programs? I would think your friend Goljan would have something to do with beefing up the rest of your school.

Pox in a box said:
Does OSU not have any good clinical programs? I would think your friend Goljan would have something to do with beefing up the rest of your school.

The only Children's hospital and level 1 trauma center are in Oklahoma City and are affiliated with OU.

Scott and White and Texas Tech are supposed to have excellent ED programs. Maybe you can try there and if LSU is accepting students, do a rotation in New ORleans or Shreveport?

UT Houston has a trauma rotation at Memorial Hermann, level I trauma center. I don't think the school offers housing to rotating students, but students often offer their apartments for sublease and/or trade housing.

enanareina said:
UT Houston has a trauma rotation at Memorial Hermann, level I trauma center. I don't think the school offers housing to rotating students, but students often offer their apartments for sublease and/or trade housing.

The outlook doesn't sound good for medical student rotations in Houston. You have to pay for meals, housing, and expensive daily parking, as well as for very expensive application fees just to be considered for a rotation.

I decided to do a SICU rotation at Baylor in Dallas, and I'm probably going to look at Austin, Corpus, and Dallas for Children's ER.

I'm still looking out for trauma surgery choices other than Dallas, however.

OSUdoc08 said:
There isn't a level I trauma center in the state of Oklahoma. The only Children's hospital is in Oklahoma City, and is affiliated with OU.
I could have sworn that one of my flight paramedic friends from OK told me there was a level I in OKC....

DropkickMurphy said:
I could have sworn that one of my flight paramedic friends from OK told me there was a level I in OKC....

last time I checked OU Medical Center was still a level 1 trauma center,

Please note the sarcasm above AND below

I'm not sure they allow DO students for rotations at childrens hospital. I do know they have DO residents rotating there for a month for the traditional rotating internship at one of the neighboring hospitals, but I don't think students are allowed, except from OU.

Hernandez said:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hernandez said:

You're right.

OSUdoc08 said:
Based on Oklahoma standards it is, but based on Texas standards it is not.

Wrong, based on the American College of Surgeon's accreditation standards.

OSUdoc08 said:
Either way, it is OU's hospital, and it would be difficult to get a rotation there.

And I guess you know this because you've tried? I'm truly shocked that one of the directors of the OU program is listed in the preceptors list for electives, so I guess it's impossible for us to rotate through there even though it's been done. :rolleyes:

OSUdoc08 said:
You'll have to forgive me since I recieved this information from the Executive Director of Oklahoma's American College of Emergency Physicians.

I find it rather interesting how many connections you have and how often they seem to be wrong.

OSUdoc08 said:
The harsh attitude isn't needed.

After you post history, you really have no room to dictate what is and isn’t needed or appropriate in terms of harshness, especially on SDN. And it's a little irritating that you habitually go back and edit your posts when you’ve shown to be wrong.

Hernandez said:
I find it rather interesting how many connections you have and how often they seem to be wrong.

there's something about OSU that just attracts conflict. Its either him, or every single other person here...
And it's a little irritating that you habitually go back and edit your posts when you’ve shown to be wrong.

Yeah I was wondering about that, kinda lame.

Hernandez said:
Oh I'm sorry, did you not read my Disclaimer? Please note the sarcasm above

You must confusing my disclaimer with yours. There is not need to post on this thread anymore, since the topic is now moot.

OSUdoc08 said:
There is not need to post on this thread anymore, since the topic is now moot.

how silly of me, here, let me go back and insert it into one of my prior posts in this thread since editing is all the rage in this thread :D