travel physical therapy job -pros and cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billu77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a 28 yr old female therapist,been working for 1.5 yrs in midwest and now planning to move to south of US.have been thinking of doing a travel PT job but am confused about it as i am not sure if i'll be able to cope up,especially with us planning to start a family soon. Can we request the travel company to make the travel limited to a specific city for a year or so?also do the travel companies offer medical insurance.could someone advice on pros and cons of travel therapy job for a married woman.thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

i am a 28 yr old female therapist,been working for 1.5 yrs in midwest and now planning to move to south of US.have been thinking of doing a travel PT job but am confused about it as i am not sure if i'll be able to cope up,especially with us planning to start a family soon. Can we request the travel company to make the travel limited to a specific city for a year or so?also do the travel companies offer medical insurance.could someone advice on pros and cons of travel therapy job for a married woman.thanks for your input.

To answer your questions: companies do offer medical insurance. Most offer multiple levels of coverage with the least inclusive being free and then they add various deductions for more comprehensive plans. Most offer dependent coverages for family members, again at an increased cost.

However, as most therapists switch companies at some point, that coverage would end and then the new companies would begin, but sometimes there are lapses in coverage. So, purchasing your own insurance through something like ehealthinsurance.com allows you to port your insurance from company to company and you can have them reimburse you for the cost.

Also, it is sometimes difficult to get the exact location you want and then on top of that to renew for an entire year. There are tax issues with staying over a year, not to mention the difficulty of a single location for that length of time. It certainly happens, but the degree of difficulty increases.

Lastly, if you want the most in-depth discussion of what travel therapy holds for you, join up at MedTravelerClub, which is the largest social network of traveling rehab professionals on the web. Its 500+ therapists rate their experiences with companies, facilities, housing and more, which gives you the inside scoop directly from other travelers. Anonymous pay information, forums, groups, licensing assistance and more are all included for free.

Plus, MTC is a recruitment-free zone, as its members are solely other therapists and it is therapist-owned and operated as well.

Cheers,

Travelj