Traveling during clinical year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vet-in-progress

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just looking for some advice regarding fourth year clinical rotations.

I'm a Canadian student and ideally I'd like to spend some time at other veterinary schools during fourth year. Particularly those high up on my rank list!

I'm a little nervous about finding accommodations and how costly it'll be to travel to these externships at other schools. If anyone had advice on how they managed it I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Canadian student and ideally I'd like to spend some time at other veterinary schools during fourth year. Particularly those high up on my rank list!

I'm a little nervous about finding accommodations and how costly it'll be to travel to these externships at other schools. If anyone had advice on how they managed it I'd be grateful.

Thanks!
You could contact the school (I'm not sure the best way to do it, though) and ask them to send out an email calling out anyone with a spare room who is willing to put you up. We've gotten a fair number of those, especially for visiting students from foreign schools! Worth a shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Second the above. we hosted students from Glasgow in particular all the time. we did have a rent fee (like $300) but since they were here for a month it was really quite reasonable. I'm sure we adjusted it for more short term students but I wasn't in charge of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also discuss it with your school. AVC kept a database of which fourth year externships people had done in the past, including accommodations for them. And look into scholarships for travel, that's how I was able to do my travel during fourth year.

Thanks!
Hi OP, I feel your pain. I just set up my externships for clinical year here in the US and they're all over the map in expensive cities. Folks offered some good advice here on how to make it work 'on the cheap.' If the host department can't hook you up with housing, I'd suggest having a look at Airbnb for reasonable accommodations. I just locked an arrangement with one of their members for two weeks in New Haven, CT for a reasonable price, and I'm bringing my 70 lb dog. You can get some excellent deals if you look early! Good luck!