Traveling veterinarian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neocia

Class of 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does a veterinarian take the NAVLE in every state they wish to practice in? Do traveling vets - doing programs like R-Vets, service work on reservations, etc. - take the NAVLE again for each state they travel? On that same note, if you volunteer (as a vet) on an abroad trip like VIDA, do you have to take a veterinary board equivalent to do service work in another country like Costa Rica or Belize?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Does a veterinarian take the NAVLE in every state they wish to practice in? Do traveling vets - doing programs like R-Vets, service work on reservations, etc. - take the NAVLE again for each state they travel? On that same note, if you volunteer (as a vet) on an abroad trip like VIDA, do you have to take a veterinary board equivalent to do service work in another country like Costa Rica or Belize?

Thank you!

For a reservation - that's not technically state soil, so it doesn't matter what state it's in because you're not practicing in it: so no state boards. I don't know about overseas work for things like VIDA. I would be very stunned if you have to do something like take boards to go work on a VIDA trip, but I don't know what the actual requirements are. Probably that the trip is overseen by a veterinarian who is boarded in the locality in question or something like that.

(NAVLE is nat'l, as cowgirla pointed out. I wasn't clear when I originally posted, but I was remarking on state-required boards.)

Last edited:
You only have to pass NAVLE once- it's national. (Exception is if you are years out of school and let your license lapse, etc.). You may or may not need a state license in each state, some of which require separate exams. Usually there are loopholes for volunteer work or less than X days in a period of time for disaster relief, things like that. Some states also have reciprocal licensing. so it all depends on what exactly you are trying to do.

Thank you!

I spoke with a retired veterinarian who was volunteering as a guest engagement docent at a wildlife rehabilitation center. I asked him if he ever volunteered to do clinic work with the center, as opposed to "just" docent volunteering and he said he wasn't licensed in this state. I am guessing his license expired though since he'd been retired for 10+ years?

Thank you for the clarification though!