Treatment for serotonin syndrome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charles_Carmichael

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, serotonin syndrome is a result of too much serotonin. However, I'm confused as to why the treatment for it is a drug that blocks 5-HT2 receptors (ex. cyproheptadine)? Wouldn't that remove the feedback inhibition of serotonin synthesis and release that stimulation of that receptor would normally cause? Any conceptual explanation of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's how I conceptualize it. Since serotonin and the other neurotransmitters are generally only released on demand (i.e., in response to an action potential), it isn't constitutively being released by pre-synaptic neurons into the synaptic cleft. I wouldn't think of neurotransmitters as being under the same kind of negative feedback as, say, the hormones of the HPA axis for example. Instead, they are simply synthesized and stored until use. By blocking the receptor on the post-synaptic neuron you are essentially preventing serotonin from doing anything while "waiting out" whatever stimulus is causing the serotonin to be released in the first place or, if something like a carcinoid, until it can be resected.

With chronic use I imagine you get some compensatory feedback (i.e., upregulation of post-synaptic receptors or increased serotonin synthesis), but I don't think you would see that kind of feedback acutely (like in serotonin syndrome).

Keep in mind that I'm not scoring 90% on UW in my first pass so you probably can't trust this.

Sent from my Nexus 7

My understanding is that serotonin syndrome occurs when there is too much stimulation of the 5HT receptors - not just a result of random unbound serotonin - so an antagonist at the receptors makes sense as a treatment.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand, serotonin syndrome is a result of too much serotonin. However, I'm confused as to why the treatment for it is a drug that blocks 5-HT2 receptors (ex. cyproheptadine)? Wouldn't that remove the feedback inhibition of serotonin synthesis and release that stimulation of that receptor would normally cause? Any conceptual explanation of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Don't over-think it. If you block serotonin receptors, you'll reduce its effects. That simple.

As an added bonus, you use octreotide for a carcinoid tumor....which somehow inhibits serotonin release by an unknown mechanism.

Somatostatin (or its analogues) decreases release of pretty much everything. Octreotide is also the Tx for esophageal varices and Verner-Morrison syndrome. You always give octreotide > actual somatostatin bc it's half-life is longer.

Thanks for the help!

I think my misunderstanding comes from the fact that, in the Kaplan pharm videos, the 5-HT2 receptors are made out to be analogous to presynaptic alpha-2 receptors, where their stimulation causes negative feedback of synthesis and release of the neurotransmitter. That's why I'm confused as to why blocking this feedback mechanism would be the treatment for serotonin syndrome when it seems like it would actually increase the amount of serotonin in the synapse. Maybe I'm misunderstanding where these 5-HT2 receptors are actually located (since Nick brought up the point of blocking postsynaptic receptors)?