Tremor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

New Doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I am Pre med student wanting to pursue a career in plastic surgery. But I have a tremor in my hands. The tremor is not to bad and if I can so much as touch one finger to a steady surface it is not noticable. Should I start looking into other fields or is this not that much of a problem?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't let that deter you from pursuing surgery as a career. Everyone has some degree of physiologic tremor and most are able to compensate by proper bracing. A fundamental of microsurgery is to set up your field so your upper extremities are braced as distally as possible without limiting range of motion. Do well in med school and if you still like plastics, go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear that a lot of people also use a Beta-blocker. Anyone comment on the effectiveness of this?? I imagine it's more effective for a nervous tremor, but wonder if anyone has experience w/ these.

Beta blockers are used more for essential tremor (more of neurological movement disorder) than a physiological tremor. EtOH is also effective in that pt population but might not be great if you are going to operate. Most people can control a physiologic (nervous) tremor.