TRI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

then

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just wanted to know can MD graduate apply for TRI?

And is it program's choice to match MD to their DO post? or is it strictly for DO to apply for these spots?

Because I have noticed some MD programs do accept DO applications, is this right and vice versa to DO internships or traditional rotation internship programs ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
TRI's are currently only available to DO's as they are accredited by the AOA. By 2020, when the merger is complete, then TRI's will be ACGME accredited and open to all to apply for.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't TRI the same as getting a preliminary spot without getting an advanced PGY2 position?

Yes, generally. Although some programs with dual accreditation start their DO interns in the TRI and have it set up to automatically track them into their ACGME PGY-2 year. This is mainly to prevent problems with licensing down the road with the four states that require an AOA intern year in order for DOs to be licensed. With the upcoming merger this requirement should vanish and I expect to see more and more TRI programs being eliminated.

@Helen Wheels Maybe I am kind of uninformed about the whole match process... Why would someone apply for a TRI position?
Either if you don't match, you're trying to match into a PGY-2 specialty that requires a PGY-1 year, or if you're in one of the four states that require a DO to have a TRI to practice without jumping through a bunch of licensing hoops.

Reactions: 1 users