tricky interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unstructured

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
teach me something non-medical in five minutes

(this one certainly stumped me)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
teach me something non-medical in five minutes

(this one certainly stumped me)
This is where having hobbies would come in handy: how to tie a fishing lure, how to make a great enchilada, or to grow an orchid, schedule to train for a marathon, safety when pumping iron, how to groom a dog, preventing injury in Ultimate Frisbee, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
How to finger knit, how to bake brownies, cookies, cupcakes etc, how to find the cheapest flight, play a video game, fix a broken fridge, change a tire.
These were at the top of my head, although I understand how in the heat of an interview you can forget everything you ever thought you knew.

Reactions: 1 users
I would totally teach them to cook. It's simpler than many people think

Reactions: 1 user
"Tell me your greatest attribute..

..now tell me your worst attribute"

Gotta make the worst attribute something that's not really bad, but more of something that's good that becomes bad when taken to an extreme. You also have to state how you are working on that flaw. If I didn't already think about this question in the past, it may have been much more difficult answering.

"Why should we not accept you?"

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
"Tell me your greatest attribute..

..now tell me your worst attribute"

Gotta make the worst attribute something that's not really bad, but more of something that's good that becomes bad when taken to an extreme. You also have to state how you are working on that flaw. If I didn't already think about this question in the past, it may have been much more difficult answering.

I freaking hate this question. Its literally asking you " what is the worst trait you can make up that is not really bad and can be good in cases?"

I freaking hate this question. Its literally asking you " what is the worst trait you can make up that is not really bad and can be good in cases?"
That's the point though. I think it's how you handle the question, not the actual response. If response is try too hard, perfectionist, too hard worker, then they'll be turned off.

That's the point though. I think it's how you handle the question, not the actual response. If response is try too hard, perfectionist, too hard worker, then they'll be turned off.

I just say patience and having a positive attitude are things I could be working on. Because it's true and it's not something everyone is expected to be perfect at.

Can I play?

What do these elements have in common? Gold, Silver, Lead, Tungsten, Copper, Mercury, Silver, Potassium, Sodium, Iron, Tin

This might be easier: what do these have in common? Carbon, Oxygen, Fluorine, Hydrogen, Tungsten, Nitrogen, Boron, Potassium, Iodine, Ytterbium, Sulfur

How about these: Ytterbium, Hafnium Scandium, Livermorium, Americium, Erbium, Yttrium, Poloium, Germanium, Rhodium, Francium, Gallium, Berkleium, Darmstadtium, Dubnium, Europium, Holmium, Ruthenium, Thulium

Reactions: 1 users
Can I play?

What do these elements have in common? Gold, Silver, Lead, Tungsten, Copper, Mercury, Silver, Potassium, Sodium, Iron, Tin

This might be easier: what do these have in common? Carbon, Oxygen, Fluorine, Hydrogen, Tungsten, Nitrogen, Boron, Potassium, Iodine, Ytterbium, Sulfur

How about these: Ytterbium, Hafnium Scandium, Livermorium, Americium, Erbium, Yttrium, Poloium, Germanium, Rhodium, Francium, Gallium, Berkleium, Darmstadtium, Dubnium, Europium, Holmium, Ruthenium, Thulium

They are all found on the periodic table.

Where is my acceptance?

Reactions: 2 users
Can I play?

1) all are on the periodic table
2) all are elements
3) all were found in the last 10000000 years

more seriously..
1) all metals
2) hmm this one is the hardest...i must guess "nothing"
3) All named after places??

Can I play?

1. All metals

2. All elements found in the human body

3. Elements named after cities/countries?

Easy. These are the ones way at the bottom that we never use in class. Also all end in "ium".

Do they actually ask specific science questions in interviews?

Is #1 a list of metals that can form alloys?

I have...but something very general and based upon the applicant's file.

I remember someone once writing that at his med school interview, he was asked "what are the six hexoses"? He knew his med school career was over right there and later got a PhD.

You're more likely to be asked about the science of your research.

Do they actually ask specific science questions in interviews?

I have...but something very general and based upon the applicant's file.

I remember someone once writing that at his med school interview, he was asked "what are the six hexoses"? He knew his med school career was over right there and later got a PhD.

You're more likely to be asked about the science of your research.

Wait, any 6 hexoses? Or were there specific ones in mind?

Can I play?

1. All the symbols are based on their original Latin names?

I don't know. All I can think of is glucose and galactose.

Hm, interesting, because there are 12 D-hexoses so I wasn't sure where the 6 came from.

Can I play?

Bingo!

Now what about #2?????

#2 is the hardest in the list. Best guess is they can form oxides :p

2. I'd say they're all 1-letter names but the Ytterbium doesn't fit. That one is throwing me off. I admit defeat.

Can I play?

UC Irvine?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app