Trinity College Dublin School of Medicine Entry Fall 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TCDMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an American who was recently accepted to Trinity College Dublin School of Medicine. I was looking to hear from other students who were starting school at TCD this upcoming fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, where do international medical students typically live their first year of school? On-campus? Off-campus?

I'm in California, and was also accepted at Trinity. I'm so excited!!

I applied for housing at Trinity Hall, and just got my room assignment today! I figured it'd be much easier to do that for my first year....one less thing to worry about, and I've heard good things about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey fellow Trinity mates! I'm joining Trinity this Sept too and will be opting for off campus housing, probably within 15 min walk from TCD. I'm in Toronto.

Did any of you receive info about health requirements and police clearance yet?

I have been hearing mixed reviews about housing. Some people say to live on-campus since I am an international student, while others are saying just live off-campus. I applied for an on-campus apartment just see what they have available. But I am still up in the air as to what I should do for living arrangements! Elisabethjl or one8piece, have you guys heard any information on where most first year med students live? I would like to live by everyone else...whether that is on or off campus.

I spoke with someone from TCD, and she said that we should be receiving all additional information such as forms, specific dates, etc. in July.

I've been talking to a few upper years and basically,

on campus:
+ great place to meet new people be it medicine or non-medicine
+ secured housing prior to arriving to Dublin like what Elisabethjl said
- slightly expensive than an average off campus places
- trinity hall is not "on campus" 30-45 mins by public transport, 20 min cycle, or 50 min walk

off campus:
+ greater control of how far away you want to be from campus, depends where you are staying
+ a lot a lot of med students stay around specific area near campus like Christchurch, Dame Street, Camden, Harcourt, Rathmines, Ranelagh, Smithfield. AVOID Temple Bar area - very noisy and Dublin 1 zones. Dublin 2, 8, 6 zones are good and safe places
- need to do your homework and be organized in finding places to stay, a little extra work
In terms of meeting ppl, not a biggy, you can still meet people from clubs/societies, fresher's week, and hang out with your meds classmates.

Thanks for sharing! That info will definitely help me out :)

Cannot wait for TCD!!! I'm from North Bay (ontario) and i'm applying to on-campus housing. Otherwise, all my family lives in ireland, so i won't be without a roof over my head.

Which of you are applying out of high school (Secondary school) and who are applying out of undergrad/post secondary?

I just graduated my undergrad.

Hey MadPride! I applied for on-campus housing too. My accommodations application is still being reviewed, but I think that going with university housing is my best bet at this point. Everything is going to be so new, so I think that living on-campus at least for the first semester is a good idea (to me at least). And that is so awesome that you have family there in Ireland. It'll be like your home away from home.

I graduated from undergrad in US in 2010. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that most Irish first year med students will be coming right out of high school. While North American applicants will have already graduated from undergraduate programs. I am interested in how big of an issue the age difference will be among students?

Hey MadPride! I'm in Ontario (Toronto) too =) I am graduating this June from undergrad =D

Did you guys receive an e-mail from ABP about the health requirements, police clearance, Garda Vetting application form? I got this e-mail a few days ago and I'm trying to fill out the health requirements form, but the box for the date and year (i.e. date of birth and date of vaccinations) have been filled in black on the form. Did you guys notice this too? I am wondering if this is an error and I should still fill the complete date, month, year under the box instead??

I definitely noticed that as well. I haven't taken a good look at the documents yet, but from a passing glance i was thinking i would just put it under it.

Hi Elisabethjl !

How long did you have to wait to hear back for a room assignment? I submitted my application at least 3 weeks ago. I'm sure it takes more than 3 weeks to figure out where to put people, and you were probably more on the ball in signing up right after you got your acceptance. If you could let me know that would be super!

Hey MadPride! I applied for on-campus housing too. My accommodations application is still being reviewed, but I think that going with university housing is my best bet at this point. Everything is going to be so new, so I think that living on-campus at least for the first semester is a good idea (to me at least). And that is so awesome that you have family there in Ireland. It'll be like your home away from home.

I graduated from undergrad in US in 2010. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that most Irish first year med students will be coming right out of high school. While North American applicants will have already graduated from undergraduate programs. I am interested in how big of an issue the age difference will be among students?
Sorry i didn't see your post TCDMed,

I agree, i figure most Irish entrants will be younger and us internationals will be coming out of some sort of post secondary

It's good to see that i won't be the only 20+ (i'm 23)!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Elisabethjl !

How long did you have to wait to hear back for a room assignment? I submitted my application at least 3 weeks ago. I'm sure it takes more than 3 weeks to figure out where to put people, and you were probably more on the ball in signing up right after you got your acceptance. If you could let me know that would be super!
I got my acceptance to TCD in mid-March, and applied for accomodation at Trinity Hall (so not the on-campus housing) on April 18th and heard back on the 27th! I'm in House 80, Apartment 15, and looking foward to meeting who else will be living nearby! :)

I got my acceptance to TCD in mid-March, and applied for accomodation at Trinity Hall (so not the on-campus housing) on April 18th and heard back on the 27th! I'm in House 80, Apartment 15, and looking foward to meeting who else will be living nearby! :)
Thanks!!

I think i applied a week-ish after you. But i may have chosen the other type of rez (as well as trinity hall incase that was the only thing available). I'm willing to take anything though. Fingers crossed!

I emailed resident services just to check the status of my application. And they said i was on the waiting list for the second round of accomodation placements. Fingers crossed! Anyway, i didn't know if there were others in the same boat. i applied mid april.

Hello MadPride and one8piece...i m from London Ontario and going to TCD to study medicine in Sept...have you guys booked ur flight already?

Hello MadPride and one8piece...i m from London Ontario and going to TCD to study medicine in Sept...have you guys booked ur flight already?
London, Ontario! Excellent.
I have not booked my flight yet! I aiming to book it for when i'm allowed in residences, if i get in.
You?

London, Ontario! Excellent.
I have not booked my flight yet! I aiming to book it for when i'm allowed in residences, if i get in.
You?

I booked the flight for Sept 13 from Toronto..we will have to be there around the 17th anyways for orientation.. i will need to attend orientation as I have never been in Dublin. i m looking for places to live off-campus..i m sure i will find something

Cannot wait for TCD!!! I'm from North Bay (ontario) and i'm applying to on-campus housing. Otherwise, all my family lives in ireland, so i won't be without a roof over my head.

Which of you are applying out of high school (Secondary school) and who are applying out of undergrad/post secondary?

I just graduated my undergrad.

I finished my undergrad at Western...graduated in June, 2011...20+ team :)

Hey Shamis,

Wow you booked your flight really early! Which website/agent do you use? Are you allowed to make date modification once you booked the ticket? I haven't reserve a spot for flight yet but I think I might be taking Aer Lingus (Ireland Airline) or Air Transtat. They are reasonable price (CAD600-800), some direct into dublin and some with one stop at Chicago.

I am planning to go Week of Sept 3 or 10 as well. I also will be looking for off-campus housing, so probably going to stay in hotel for the first few days in Dublin.

I'm for sure attending the orientation week, I heard from the seniors it's an awesome week to find out all about the services and resources available on campus, browse through different campus clubs, as well as make meet new friends.

Did any of you submit your Garda/police check form and health requirements stuff to TCD yet? I did my health stuff already and will be wrapping it up with my doctor tomorrow. I am wondering if we can mail the health stuff by ourselves? I know the package says your doctor should mail it but I don't know what mail service they are going to use and I'd prefer registered mail.

I'm having trouble with the health insurance plan. I have yet to read the insurance plan in detail. I heard ODON is the cheapest (like super cheap) compared to the others but only if you think you will never ever get sick. The coverage is really low but really cheap and meet the requirement when you register at Garda upon arrival in Dublin. I don't have much info about VHI, AVIVA, QUINN although they are the big ones in Ireland. Can we actually register for the health insurance before arriving in Ireland???

I'm having trouble with the health insurance plan. I have yet to read the insurance plan in detail. I heard ODON is the cheapest (like super cheap) compared to the others but only if you think you will never ever get sick. The coverage is really low but really cheap and meet the requirement when you register at Garda upon arrival in Dublin. I don't have much info about VHI, AVIVA, QUINN although they are the big ones in Ireland. Can we actually register for the health insurance before arriving in Ireland???

ODON is really cheap - I think I paid about $120 for the year, but as you said low coverage. I registered/bought it before I arrived in Ireland via their website. You get to pick the coverage period so it's not like you buy it now and waste the few months you're not in the country. It also satisfies the Garda requirement.

Hey Shamis,

Wow you booked your flight really early! Which website/agent do you use? Are you allowed to make date modification once you booked the ticket? I haven't reserve a spot for flight yet but I think I might be taking Aer Lingus (Ireland Airline) or Air Transtat. They are reasonable price (CAD600-800), some direct into dublin and some with one stop at Chicago.

I am planning to go Week of Sept 3 or 10 as well. I also will be looking for off-campus housing, so probably going to stay in hotel for the first few days in Dublin.

I'm for sure attending the orientation week, I heard from the seniors it's an awesome week to find out all about the services and resources available on campus, browse through different campus clubs, as well as make meet new friends.

Hey one8piece,

I booked my flight for Sept 13..arriving to Dublin on the 14th...the weekend before orientation week (i know i m cutting close, but i have work here..cant leave earlier). I am going on British Airways..will stop in Heathrow..the ticket was 625 canadian dollars+ tax...i figured if i wait longer it will only get more expensive..i chose British airways because it allows me the most luggage (25kg check in and 25 kg carry on -if i can carry it without assistance)..if I ever plan to come back to canada though, i will take air transat as its cheaper and more direct. if you buy the ticket now though..british airways and air transat will have the same price.

I am using this website to look for places to live off-campus..if u get lucky, u wont need to stay in a hotel and look for places
http://www.daft.ie/?utm_source=ie9&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=pinned-ie9

cheers

Did any of you submit your Garda/police check form and health requirements stuff to TCD yet? I did my health stuff already and will be wrapping it up with my doctor tomorrow. I am wondering if we can mail the health stuff by ourselves? I know the package says your doctor should mail it but I don't know what mail service they are going to use and I'd prefer registered mail.

Hey ..

i still havent sent mine in yet...we still have time and no mail will take more than a month to deliver...you can explain the situation to your doctor or offer a prepay for a registered mail if u feel the need to.

about the insurance, I was thinking VHI...but if ODON is cheaper, i might consider it. I mean, we will be in medical school, i m sure there will be plenty of doctors around to diagnose then if we need to get meds we will go to real doctors haha...i personally get colds ..thats the only reason i would visit the doctor for which is not necessary :) so i would get the cheapest plan then change it if i need to.

cheers

ODON is really cheap - I think I paid about $120 for the year, but as you said low coverage. I registered/bought it before I arrived in Ireland via their website. You get to pick the coverage period so it's not like you buy it now and waste the few months you're not in the country. It also satisfies the Garda requirement.

Hey, would you be able to send me the link for the plan that cost $120 or around that from ODON...i cant find it online..did u have to call them? if yes, what number did u use?

Hey Shamis,

oh i used https://webstore.travelcuts.com/ibe/default.aspx
to get my ticket

Hey guys,

Another fellow TCD student here from Toronto, Canada! I will be looking for off campus housing in the next little while! I still have to do all of my police/health checks as well. Thanks for the private health insurance info guys, I should start looking into this as well.

I will be part of the 20+ group! Hope to meet you all soon! Anybody from the GTA area want to meet up before we head out to school?

RPS

Hi LbGem! Do you mind briefly explain how the healthcare system work in Dublin? Are there any differences with Canadian healthcare system?

If I have an ODON insurance, and say I need to see a doctor about minor symptoms like common cold, diarrhea, or fell down and have a somewhat deep cut that need 2-3 stitches, and I walk into a "walk-in" clinic. Does the clinic deal directly with ODON insurance OR do I have to pay the clinic and then make my own claimants by filling a form and submit receipts to ODON? What's the general waiting time like in a "walk-in" clinic there? Is the flu vaccine covered? How about blood tests and imaging tests?

Did you stick with ODON for the entire medical school years or was it only in your first year that you use ODON? Are you satisfied using ODON?

Hey, would you be able to send me the link for the plan that cost $120 or around that from ODON...i cant find it online..did u have to call them? if yes, what number did u use?

Hi Shamis! This is the link for the Euro120 ODON plan for Trinity College Dublin https://www.odon.ie/index.php/tcd

Last edited:
Hi LbGem! Do you mind briefly explain how the healthcare system work in Dublin? Are there any differences with Canadian healthcare system?

If I have an ODON insurance, and say I need to see a doctor about minor symptoms like common cold, diarrhea, or fell down and have a somewhat deep cut that need 2-3 stitches, and I walk into a "walk-in" clinic. Does the clinic deal directly with ODON insurance OR do I have to pay the clinic and then make my own claimants by filling a form and submit receipts to ODON? What's the general waiting time like in a "walk-in" clinic there? Is the flu vaccine covered? How about blood tests and imaging tests?

Did you stick with ODON for the entire medical school years or was it only in your first year that you use ODON? Are you satisfied using ODON?

Hi Shamis! This is the link for the Euro120 ODON plan for Trinity College Dublin [https://www.odon.ie/index.php/tcd]

I believe there is 1. a €100 deductible, 2. you'd need to send it in for reimbursement. It's a very bare minimums plan. Also should take that ] at the end of your link so it works. And I haven't been to a walk in clinic - I've only used student health services, that usually doesn't take too long.

https://www.facilityhire.ie/Quick-Quote/Documents/Medicover/MediCover%20Cert.pdf is a summary of their policy.

I just finished first year - I'll probably use them again. But they really don't cover very much - I paid for student health services out of pocket (but that was only like €40 for both times). I just used it to satisfy the health insurance requirement. I'm in good health though and don't expect to get sick or need hospitalization. Don't think they cover flu shot either.

Hello Lbgem..

I know I m totally rushing things, but would you be able to let us know if there are any books that we can get from here (Canada) for our first year? do you think they change the curriculum every year? would getting the books via amazon would be any better? or is there some med student organization that sell books to new students at TCD? I know getting the books from here would be rediculous in terms of carrying it, but I am just interested to know the books used in first year.

Shamis

Hello Lbgem..

I know I m totally rushing things, but would you be able to let us know if there are any books that we can get from here (Canada) for our first year? do you think they change the curriculum every year? would getting the books via amazon would be any better? or is there some med student organization that sell books to new students at TCD? I know getting the books from here would be rediculous in terms of carrying it, but I am just interested to know the books used in first year.

Shamis

UCD student :p not Trinity sorry. I would tell you to get the books from amazon.co.uk though. A lot of these posts will tell you books are MASSIVELY cheaper over there than here. I found this half true. They are generally cheaper. I found the rare exception with 1-2 being more expensive but not by much (aka not worth it to lug over). Quite a few students like to go to Claredon medical bookstore to buy supplies/books, but again, I've found amazon to be cheaper, so never really understood why students bought it from there/the bookstore.

I am a HUGE book person - like I have an entire 2-3 full bookshelves of medical textbooks, and I would still tell you to wait til you get over there to buy them. Unless they're small/cheap/light and it's something you know you will use - USMLE books in my case (maybe in yours?) but I didn't really touch them til end of first year - so I would still tell you to wait unless you know what you're going to use (which you don't really, not yet). Also, trust me on this, WAIT 1-2 weeks into the semester to decide which books you really need (except for anatomy, pick up an atlas asap). You might go oh the syllabus has like 5 books on here - I'm going to buy them all! No no no. That's a huge waste of money. When I was doing the immuno portion I realized I needed to brush up so I picked up an immuno book, which helped. But for the genetics? Didn't need it.

Trust me on this. I didn't listen and I wouldn't say I regret it? But it made it much harder lugging about 20 pounds of books over.

The biggest reason why you shouldn't buy them yet is mainly because you don't know if you will need them. A lot of people don't really use textbooks or will get the pdf pirated version which saves a ton of money. Don't listen completely to your profs on what books to get. The three books I bought solely b/c of prof recommendations I hated and didn't use. That was probably the only money I wasted on books. Check first if 1. you need the book (maybe you're a pro in the subject and won't need it or the powerpoint slides they give you are sufficient) 2. which book to get based on what you like/what other students recommend - ex. I like Costanzo's physio, but prof recommends Vander. I found Costanzo's to be very easy to understand/basic/what I needed to know and honestly it summarized in about 5 pages about 3-4 lectures worth of slides - I know I aced one of the essay questions on the final because of this. For Anatomy atlases - there are tons - some like cartoons (Netters), some like McMinn's, Rohan's (Rohan's has better pictures, but McMinn's is easier to follow because of the alphabetical tags), just to name a few off the top of my head.

I know you want to be an awesome student, but just calm down :p. If you're planning to study for the USMLE, I can toss a couple recs your way to get your feet wet and aren't heavy reading for the summer if you *absolutely* must pre-read (I think this is a waste of time to do during the summer though and I was one of those that felt oh I'm getting ahead if I start in the summer! nope, you don't know how to study yet) - very light/easy and shouldn't be too much trouble to pack.

Hope that helps.

Oh also, 2nd years may sell you their texts or your medical society (I assume trinity has one like ucd) will arrange a booksale so you can sometimes snag a cheap book or two. But I found it wasn't worth it to rely on this super much as the booksale was 3 weeks into the semester and the student union (not the campus) bookstore had none of the books I needed for sale. So again, amazon is your friend, and do some comparison shopping yourself if you'd like, claredon has a website so you can always search for the same books there as on amazon.

Last edited:
UCD student :p not Trinity sorry. I would tell you to get the books from amazon.co.uk though. A lot of these posts will tell you books are MASSIVELY cheaper over there than here. I found this half true. They are generally cheaper. I found the rare exception with 1-2 being more expensive but not by much (aka not worth it to lug over). Quite a few students like to go to Claredon medical bookstore to buy supplies/books, but again, I've found amazon to be cheaper, so never really understood why students bought it from there/the bookstore.

I am a HUGE book person - like I have an entire 2-3 full bookshelves of medical textbooks, and I would still tell you to wait til you get over there to buy them. Unless they're small/cheap/light and it's something you know you will use - USMLE books in my case (maybe in yours?) but I didn't really touch them til end of first year - so I would still tell you to wait unless you know what you're going to use (which you don't really, not yet). Also, trust me on this, WAIT 1-2 weeks into the semester to decide which books you really need (except for anatomy, pick up an atlas asap). You might go oh the syllabus has like 5 books on here - I'm going to buy them all! No no no. That's a huge waste of money. When I was doing the immuno portion I realized I needed to brush up so I picked up an immuno book, which helped. But for the genetics? Didn't need it.

Trust me on this. I didn't listen and I wouldn't say I regret it? But it made it much harder lugging about 20 pounds of books over.

The biggest reason why you shouldn't buy them yet is mainly because you don't know if you will need them. A lot of people don't really use textbooks or will get the pdf pirated version which saves a ton of money. Don't listen completely to your profs on what books to get. The three books I bought solely b/c of prof recommendations I hated and didn't use. That was probably the only money I wasted on books. Check first if 1. you need the book (maybe you're a pro in the subject and won't need it or the powerpoint slides they give you are sufficient) 2. which book to get based on what you like/what other students recommend - ex. I like Costanzo's physio, but prof recommends Vander. I found Costanzo's to be very easy to understand/basic/what I needed to know and honestly it summarized in about 5 pages about 3-4 lectures worth of slides - I know I aced one of the essay questions on the final because of this. For Anatomy atlases - there are tons - some like cartoons (Netters), some like McMinn's, Rohan's (Rohan's has better pictures, but McMinn's is easier to follow because of the alphabetical tags), just to name a few off the top of my head.

I know you want to be an awesome student, but just calm down :p. If you're planning to study for the USMLE, I can toss a couple recs your way to get your feet wet and aren't heavy reading for the summer if you *absolutely* must pre-read (I think this is a waste of time to do during the summer though and I was one of those that felt oh I'm getting ahead if I start in the summer! nope, you don't know how to study yet) - very light/easy and shouldn't be too much trouble to pack.

Hope that helps.

Oh also, 2nd years may sell you their texts or your medical society (I assume trinity has one like ucd) will arrange a booksale so you can sometimes snag a cheap book or two. But I found it wasn't worth it to rely on this super much as the booksale was 3 weeks into the semester and the student union (not the campus) bookstore had none of the books I needed for sale. So again, amazon is your friend, and do some comparison shopping yourself if you'd like, claredon has a website so you can always search for the same books there as on amazon.

This is certainly helpful. Thank you :)
I am not thinking about buying the books per se. I just wanted to browse (get some titles). Your wisdom is greatly appreciated. I am planning on writing the USMLE, any advice in that department? All I heard was "the first aid books", nothing for specific subjects.
Ps. I am a bit confused..so there are two medical schools, one at UCD and one at TCD? how different are those programs? difference in length? or material? class size?

This is certainly helpful. Thank you :)
I am not thinking about buying the books per se. I just wanted to browse (get some titles). Your wisdom is greatly appreciated. I am planning on writing the USMLE, any advice in that department? All I heard was "the first aid books", nothing for specific subjects.
Ps. I am a bit confused..so there are two medical schools, one at UCD and one at TCD? how different are those programs? difference in length? or material? class size?

Well, Trinity is a 5 year program, UCD is 4 (there's a 6 year one as well) for the Graduate Entry Program. RCSI is also around Dublin (another medical school). And I think there's a thread on what the programs were like at the top of this forum or within it - just do a search. My class size is 105, the one before us was like 50? 60? or so, can't remember.

First Aid is the standard, I've heard it covers about 80% of what you need to know for the test. To me, it's only a guide - i.e. you shouldn't learn things for the first time from it, rather use it as a review/areas to focus on when you do study.

So First Aid for sure. Goljan is great too (the audio lectures). I have his book as well and it seems pretty solid. I also have Pathoma (which is new but seems pretty good so far). Most of the USMLE as far as I understand it is based on Pathology and integrated concepts.

As for specific subjects (these aren't super high yield, but if you're weak on them...) it's like the post I made above - it depends on what YOU like style wise.

Personally:
Physio - Costanzo
Micro - Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple
Biochem - Lippincott
Pharm - Katzung
Pathology - Medium or Big Robbins is the go to, but I wouldn't tell anyone they need to read either of these cover to cover to do well on the USMLE (these books are HUGE).
Histology - eh, Wheaters maybe, though Histo isn't a high yield subject on the exam.

If you have specific areas/subjects in mind ask - cause those are what I can think of atm without digging through my piles of books.

I also got a couple of practice book question banks - Lange and Appleton (I think? This is off the top of my head). Look up posts by BigFrank and LongDong. They gave a list of things they did and BigFrank ended up with a 267 iirc and LongDong did really well too and is now in derm also iirc. There is a section on SDN on USMLE Step 1 for recs/etc, so you should check that out. I'm just one person and there's a compilation list there of what people liked/didn't like. It's going to be different for everyone. Some people didn't spend more than 200$ to review, others, like me, bought a lot of books. I'll also be spending money to do USMLEworld and USMLErx. Not quite sold on Kaplan yet. I should say that I am not super rich by any means nor do I have parental funding - I just consider this a cost of investment to do well in med school. Future self earnings investing in current self. A few hundred, even a thousand dollars is a drop in the bucket compared to what we are borrowing/expected to pay for 4 years in Ireland education wise (about 300K very roughly in USD). To me, if spending a couple hundred is what it costs to get 10 points higher on the USMLE it's worth it. Say a score of 240 that's what? 4800$ to do really well on the test that's going to make or break whether or not you get into a (good) residency program in the states. That's worth it.

Hey!! I'm going to Trinity Fall 2012 too! I live in Washington State currently and I'm 23 also! Happy to know more people will be the same age as me. I'm so excited to start! :)

I am an American who was recently accepted to Trinity College Dublin School of Medicine. I was looking to hear from other students who were starting school at TCD this upcoming fall.
Hey can you please share your stats and link me the website where to apply thanks

Hi were you interviewed considering you were an international applicant?