Trinity & Computers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applepark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To students at Trinity,

Do you guys recommend getting a tablet PC for school?? Basically are notes available prior to lectures for review and editing in electronic format?

I'm considering getting one. Obviously not required, but if notes are available in e-format than it could be useful, right?

Your thoughts would be great!

Thanks,
Apple :D

Members don't see this ad.

Um...remember, Ireland is not as technologically advanced yet. They don't even use PDAs on a regular basis yet. I wouldn't really recommend getting a tablet PC, you'll find it wasted a little here. Notes are often emailed. However, not Prior to your actual lecture, even though it's been brought up before. You will most likely get your lectures emailed after the actual lecture. Sometimes...way after.

Um...remember, Ireland is not as technologically advanced yet. They don't even use PDAs on a regular basis yet. I wouldn't really recommend getting a tablet PC, you'll find it wasted a little here. Notes are often emailed. However, not Prior to your actual lecture, even though it's been brought up before. You will most likely get your lectures emailed after the actual lecture. Sometimes...way after.

Speak for your own school. At UCD, all of our notes were posted on blackboard either in PDF or Powerpoint format before the class took place. I always brought my laptop and just added the notes in class. A buddy of mine had a tablet, and handwrote his own notes & diagrams right onto the pdf\ppt files. I have to say it was pretty damn useful.

Cheers,
Jocks

Members don't see this ad :)

Interesting....I always thought that countries like Ireland and UK were more advanced then North America in technology, especially with stuff like mobile phones, etc.

Guess I was wrong.

How about internet? If you have your laptop is there internet access in Trinity Hall and on campus? From the sounds of it, wireless internet isn't an option.

Um...remember, Ireland is not as technologically advanced yet.

Have to disagree with the above. Certain lecturers tardiness with disseminating powerpoint presentations is nothing to do with Ireland's technological advancement. I've always been very happy with the provision and availability of IT in Trinity. The only thing that really annoyed me was the tiny (60 MB) mailboxes...but that's all in the past with the advent of Trinity Gmail.

Wireless and wired networks are available throughout the campus. Here's a link to what's available in Trinity:
http://isservices.tcd.ie/student/index.php

You can do wireless for your laptop at Trinity. Trinity Halls too. At first it only worked in certain locations, but it should extend to all campus areas now (or will be soon). The big problem I have with the Trinity server is it's very slow in the residential rooms, better in the computer labs. But you will have trouble uploading very large files in your room (no trouble downloading) until they make the network better. It makes skyping a pain in the ass because there's a huge lag time about 5 min into your conversation. Also, the only chat program you can use is googletalk because of the proxies (unless you can figure out a way to get around the proxies). AIM, Yahoo, MSN won't work unless you Meebo. Only Skype and googletalk work. I don't mean in terms of tech advances that they aren't there in the country. I mean that it's either not as well serviced, doesn't work as well or not as widely used. For Trinity, I wouldn't recommend tab PC.

I have no input to give on Trinity, but I do have a tablet PC (Gateway CX2724), and I LOVE it. Our lecture slides are given to us in PDF form before the lecture, and this coupled with Microsoft OneNote (esp. 2007) is a wonder. I sit there in class, record with the built-in microphone, and write scribbles all over the slides. Later, I print them off at 4 slides a page, after typing up my notes.

Here is the big misconception people have about Tablet PCs, so I'll try and clarify. When it comes to taking notes, there are 2 types of 'handwriting recognition'. Now, I have horrible handwriting, so this may be different for you. When you write all over the screen, often times in different directions and at very quick speeds, it will be difficult to highlight them, click a button, and have flawless handwriting --> text conversion (although this option does exist). The way I use it is the same way I would use paper and pen - I write my notes on the slides, and then fill them type them into more organized documents later. However, say you went for a Slate style tablet (mine's convertible - swivel screen, etc), where there is no keyboard, and you needed to look something up on the internet. Boot up firefox/IE, go to the address bar, and the TIP (table input panel) pops up. Write, in your normal handwriting (even my horrible chicken-scratch), and it'll almost perfectly translate - and if not, it is v. easy to fix it as you continue writing.

as a side note: one of the most amazing features that i found is so simple, but i'm so glad it's there. it's called the 'scratch out', or something like that. if you're like me and write so fast that you don't have time or are just too lazy to flip to an eraser, just scratch out what you want erased - and poof! it's gone. i say i use this on an almost daily basis - not because the digitizer doesn't make my writing look like i want it (it definitely does), but because i write too fast and tend to jumble/mash/confuse my letters.

oh yeah also, throwing drawings and diagrams, and even stealing little images from teh internet and throwing em in your notes is a breeze

and nowadays, some tablets are hardware wise just as good, and cost the same as, if not less, than their normal counterparts - so why not?

any more questions just PM me, i tend not to check the forums too often anymore (whoo summer!:D)

what some people have used at TCD is the Dell axim cuz that has a handwriting feature. The only problem with the axim is that it's being phased out...they've actually discontinued making them in the US (not yet in europe). But people can jot down notes in the axim during lecture and then when the lecture notes come out, can look at what they wrote down to remember what important stuff to remember. But of course, this doesn't really work if the lecturer said a lot of stuff that's outside the lecture notes. Also, most but not all the lecturers do powerpoint slides or give notes.

Hey guys.

Thanks for the posts. I'm debating it still, more because in actuality tab pc's in BC aren't that widely available yet. But since I'll be in the states in the next couple of weeks I'm going to shop down there, since they have a far larger in store selection that what we get at Futureshop or Best Buy.

That sucks that they've blocked the use of msn, skype and stuff. Hmmm... I'll have to look into other means of communication while in Ireland.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

you can use skype and googletalk. Just the network isn't great so skype ends up lagging after a few minutes, which gets really annoying. You can skype other people on campus though without the quality being that bad.

Hey,

i think you should get a ur pc from home cause they are way cheaper than here.... and you can take it back and forth to NA....
Personally i find it a lot handier than buying a pc here. You have a computer for both home and when ur at school.
Also in halls the internet is not that bad... it's pretty fast... but as said before a few things don't work cause of the proxy settings. Such as downloading programs and wahtever. Msn live works... as well as skype.
So it's good to keep in touch with people from home that way.