Triple Board (Peds/Psych/Child Psych)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeti00

She-Ra Princess of Power
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any once or future Triple Boarders out there? Thinking of applying in it this year, just wanted to see if there were any opinions...

Members don't see this ad.

I know you're looking for a current triple-boarder to speak up, but since no-one has I'll chime in (acknowledging that I am not one, rather just a categorical peds resident). When I was a third year med student I had started the year interested in psych but fell in love with peds. I was doing part of my rotation at a community hospital where residents (incl. some of the triple-boarders) from the local children's hosp. moonlighted, so I had the opportunity to pick the brain of one the triple-board residents. His reason for choosing it was to provide general pediatric care in a rural environment and felt that with the dearth of child psych services he would be served well. He liked the residency, but he did caution that the downside of it was the lack of free electives in these highly structured residencies. Alas, this is only one person's take on the matter.
Now for my opinion: I think the above is a legitimate reason and caution. I think one of the best things a triple boarder could do is work at a facility that deals with kids with psych issues and co-morbid complex a/o severe medical issues. There is an extreme need for child psychiatrists currently, but even of the facilities that [you're lucky to have an open bed to] take child psych patients avoid the medically complex kids. A few facilities are designed for these kids. I've dealt with a few of these children and desperately wish that more facilities such as this exist. It is my opinion only that a triple boarder would be sought after at such a place.
But here is my caution about committing to a triple board program. Make sure you like child psych. You can love peds and you can love adult psych and definitely hate child psych. It can be a different animal than both of the former. Also remember that while plenty of docs maintain board certification in more than one specialty, it can be burdensome to do so (if that would be your intent). And you would be sitting for two to three boards (peds, gen. psych, and child psych). If your intent was to get more facile with one field while intending to be boarded in/practice one specialty then a categorical residency (or in psych's case categorical + fellowship) could be tailored to that end. A pediatrics resident could take a few rotations in child psych, and a psych resident, at many programs, can do part to most of their PGY-1 gen. medicine training in peds. If in your peds residency you fell in love with child psych there is now a pathway in which you do a 4yr child psych fellowship after peds training (and get boarded only in child psych vs. adult and child). Admittedly a longer time frame than the 5yr triple board, but more flexible in exploring the subspecialties of peds.
So my general take on it is: do the triple-board only if you know that you love peds and child psych and have a goal in mind for its usage. Otherwise explore the other options. Again, the opinion on a categorical peds resident only. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Bump - is there anyone on here that applied to or is applying to these programs? I'm curious about what people think of the overall concept of the triple board, what their plans are, and whether or not the integration of 3 specialties over 5 years works well in producing good clinicians. My interest is in child psych specifically, but I really enjoyed peds and am trying to figure out the usefullness of doing a triple board vs straigh psych-child psych.

Last edited:
I'm applying for TB this year too (instead of the planned upon Pathology, of all things). So hopefully I'm not too much behind the 8-ball. Does anyone know how competetive it is? I know there's only like 22 spots in the nation!

Also it would be great to hear from Yeti now that she's presumably a TB resident herself!

According to the 2008 NRMP Match Statistics,

there were 10 programs offering 20 spots, with 47 total applicants (35 of whom were classified as US Seniors)

Of the applicants, 19 matched (16 of them US Seniors)

University of Hawaii - matched 2 out of 2
Indiana University - matched 1 out of 1
University of Kentucky - matched 2 out of 3
Tulane University - matched 2 out of 2
Tufts NEMC - matched 0 out of 0
Mt Sinai NY - matched 2 out of 2
Cincinnati Childrens - matched 3 out of 3
University of Pittsburgh - matched 2 out of 2
Rhode Island Hospital/Brown - matched 3 out of 3
University of Utah - matched 2 out of 2

Source: http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2008.pdf

47 applicants for 20 spots?

Darn, running the numbers it's almost like plastics or something! I'm sure the applicants aren't all powerhouses though.

Oh well...I guess I'll try my best that's all I can do, right?

Any thoughts on Tufts matching 0 out of 0? Did they discontinue the program, or were they just not offering any spots in the match this past year?

Hmm...that is worrisome. I wonder why the change in course? Complacency? Or do they think that triple board isn't so needed after all?

Hi folks,

Applying to Triple Board this year too. I did an away rotation and loved it. The field is so flexible and in extreme demand. You can practice in either Child Psych, Peds or Adult Psych with ease. As far as programs, Tufts is a poor program. It has not accepted a resident in nearly 4 years. I would stay away from Tufts. I do know that Utah, Brown, Pitt and Cinci are very strong programs. Kentucky and Tulane are also up there. Hawaii is very Peds heavy, Sinai is very psych heavy. I am not sure about Indiana, but think the program is ok. As far as competitiveness, I think it is more about really wanting to do 5 years and having a strong interest in both psych and peds. Also, of the 40+ or so who apply, most have backups of either peds or psych and many end up going the peds or psych route so you are really only fighting for spots among 20-30 folks. Hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who's still interested in this thread...

From what I learned on the interview trail, the Tufts program hasn't matched anyone lately because of the internal politics of the institution more than it's being a sub-par training experience. I guess if they don't match anyone in the actual match, they lose the ability to "scramble" so that their two spots that were up for grabs in triple board get "divested" to peds--so that the Tufts peds programs can scramble or match two more peds applicants (since their peds dept is much more resident dependent and the institution is willing to fund the salaries of 2 additional peds residents to help take care of the population).

This is the party line, anyway. I went to the program and it seemed like a good training experience, with very nice, supportive faculty and all that.

I think now it's to the point where no one wants to be the only triple-boarder at their institution, and would prefer to enter a social/professional environment where there are lots of triple board trainees to share the experience with. I think that may be why they haven't matched.

I think for people who really want to be a triple-boarder, and who need to be in the Boston/RI area, it's still a feasible option, as long as you're willing to be a "pioneer" so to speak and be the only resident in the program (or maybe one of only two residents this year).

If in your peds residency you fell in love with child psych there is now a pathway in which you do a 4yr child psych fellowship after peds training (and get boarded only in child psych vs. adult and child). Admittedly a longer time frame than the 5yr triple board, but more flexible in exploring the subspecialties of peds.

Hey -- I'm new to posting on SDN although I follow threads frequently -- I have been strongly considering TB since I go back and forth b/w peds and psych all the time... recently heard about this child psych "fellowship" you mention above. Honestly, I just can't find any information on it! I also heard from a practicing child psychiatrist that it is "in the works" ... but if anyone can give me any info on this - what schools have it, if any programs are up and coming, where to find more info about it, and why in the world it's 4 years instead of 3 ... that's be great. Thanks!

Anyone out there applied to triple board this year? I sent in my application for all 10 programs (fingers crossed), and then to 64 psych programs that have child psych fellowships too (in the hopes that I would get to do the whole go into the fellowship in my 4th year thing).
Anyway, I really want to do triple board and am really hoping I match (the numbers listed for last year were kind of scary). I have pretty good credentials (good step 1, ok grades in 1st 2 years, stellar grades and evaluations in 3rd year, involved in several positions in med school...lots of volunteering). I'm hoping it's enough. Just want to chat w/others who are applying to this and feeling similarly scared, intimated, hopeful.

Anyone out there applied to triple board this year? I sent in my application for all 10 programs (fingers crossed), and then to 64 psych programs that have child psych fellowships too (in the hopes that I would get to do the whole go into the fellowship in my 4th year thing).
Anyway, I really want to do triple board and am really hoping I match (the numbers listed for last year were kind of scary). I have pretty good credentials (good step 1, ok grades in 1st 2 years, stellar grades and evaluations in 3rd year, involved in several positions in med school...lots of volunteering). I'm hoping it's enough. Just want to chat w/others who are applying to this and feeling similarly scared, intimated, hopeful.

No one out there has applied triple board in the past? Or is applying triple board now? Or is in a triple board program now?

Hi! I am a current TB intern (applied last year) and would be happy to help. internship is really busy, so may not have a lot of time or may be increased latency with replying but if you want I'm happy to message you with more info! Good luck in this difficult decision process!

Hi! I am a current TB intern (applied last year) and would be happy to help. internship is really busy, so may not have a lot of time or may be increased latency with replying but if you want I'm happy to message you with more info! Good luck in this difficult decision process!

Hi all, I am really interested in this program and am wondering several things:

1. How difficult, compared to straight psychiatry, are these triple board programs to get into?

2. Compared to straight psychiatry, how intense is the triple board residency program in terms of hours per week?

3. I would love to stay in California for residency, but according to FREIDA there are currently no triple board programs in California. Someone told me some schools are willing to self tailor a triple board program for an interested individual, even though they may not yet have one, have any of you heard anything about this?

Thank you for any input you can share with me!

3. I would love to stay in California for residency, but according to FREIDA there are currently no triple board programs in California. Someone told me some schools are willing to self tailor a triple board program for an interested individual, even though they may not yet have one, have any of you heard anything about this?

If you want to go about completing sequential categorical residencies to be board eligible, it seems like it should be possible at a place that is willing to have you. But, it sounds like you are asking if you could be board eligible for three specialties in five years at a place where a program does not currently exist; if so, see the link below, I believe that the answer is not at the current time unless things have changed since September.

http://www.aadprt.org/documents/Update_on_Combined_Training_2010.pdf

bump

1. How difficult, compared to straight psychiatry, are these triple board programs to get into?

2. Compared to straight psychiatry, how intense is the triple board residency program in terms of hours per week?

Thank you for any input you can share with me![/QUOTE]

bump

Thank you for any input you can share with me!
[/QUOTE]

I am not TB, but I strongly considered it. I ended up choosing a combined adult/child psych program (a few exist).

Neither TB nor combined adult/child psych programs are that difficult for US MD applicants. If you are average, you stand an excellent shot.

The reason I chose to not TB is that you are not as well trained in adult psych or peds as your counterparts. While peds is a 3 year residency, you really only spend 1.5 years in training as a TB. Adult psych is at least 3 years, but TB only gives you 1.5 years of training there as well. You spend 2 years in child psych.

The TB people I talked to ended up doing mostly child psych after training. Child psych has more need and pays better. Since child psych pays better, a few TB people told me that they do no peds at all. There is a TB faculty in my adult/child psych program who does almost all child psych.

TB people work much harder than general psych or combined adult/child psych residents. Peds is more strenuous, and you are expected to progress as fast as the general residents in each department despite less training in each.

If you have a specific plan for TB, go for it. It is not in higher demand than child psych is in the private practice world. In academics, TB may help you get your foot in the door.

As a combined adult/child psych resident, I did multiple peds outpatient months. I feel confident managing many peds outpatient problems. I would not want to handle inpatient problems though. If you want to be excellent at inpatient peds and child psych, you should do TB.

I just wanted to say hi as one of the current Triple Board applicants and to wish everyone good luck with the match this year!

Hey, I'm also considering maybe a Triple Board, cause I'm very interested in this fields, but I have one question left. As a Triple Boarder, do you only work with children, or also with adolescents and young adults, like in a normal child/adolescent residency?, cause if not I'll continue sticking to this.

Hey, I'm also considering maybe a Triple Board, cause I'm very interested in this fields, but I have one question left. As a Triple Boarder, do you only work with children, or also with adolescents and young adults, like in a normal child/adolescent residency?, cause if not I'll continue sticking to this.

Triple board includes all age ranges in psychiatry. You will be boarded in C&A and adult psychiatry.

Can anyone describe their typical day as a TB resident?

What kind of stats did you have when applying?

What are the top 5 programs now?

Also is the culture within TB as family friendly as PEDs?

So, full disclosure since I started this thread like an aeon ago. I graduated from a triple board program, now I'm an attending at another triple board program.

"Typical day" is the typical day for whatever service you are on (when you're on peds, it's the typical day for a pediatrics resident, same for psychiatry).

My "stats" were that I'm was(/am?) an AMG from a good medical school, high-average board scores, and I had done a little research at various points. I think there is a pretty broad range of "stats" as far as those things go across the TB programs; one of the most important aspects of an application is to have an idea of why you want to do triple board and what you would do with it.

These are the current programs (except Hawaii which no longer is accepting applications): http://tripleboard.org/contacts/

Finally, yes, if not more so because there are so few residents each year that you have a very tight knit group who knows you/your family well.

I'm a current M3 who is planning on applying to triple board. Do any current triple boarders have any advice on what M4 rotations or specific things I could add to my CV between now and ERAS that may strengthen my application. Most of the input I've gotten from others is that it's highly competitive.

Are there specific things these programs are looking for in an applicant?

Does anyone have any idea how many applicants these programs have been getting in recent years?

Last edited: