Tripler rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slevin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at setting up my 3rd and 4th year rotations. I was wondering if anyone when they were a med student did a rotation at Tripler. Did you like it? How was the experience

Members don't see this ad.

dang. no love on this post, eh? i'm interested as well.

I did a physical medicine and rehab rotation there - it's not listed in the descriptions but is on the pull-down menu of the form you have to fill out. It is NOT a site that has a residency for PM & R - but when I filled out the app I was considering it (when I went there actually wanted rads, got rads in the match, rads dept there is AWESOME!)

I had a BLAST!!! probably because almost no one rotates through PM & R there so the attendings didn't really know what to do with me so they sent me home early with a list of things to do on the island. The weather there is fantastic, I HIGHLY recommend staying at the Hale Koa (ask to stay in the new tower, I can't remember what it's called). It is the best hotel, seriously, rooms very spacious and in the new tower very pretty, great views in all rooms!)

I even got upgraded to a convertible with only having to pay $5 out of pocket b/c the girl at Hertz was so nice - it was AWESOME!!!

Tripler itself is a nice hospital, friendly people, the other students I talked to said that they enjoyed their clinical rotations (I only did outpatient). Girls doing peds said it wasn't quite as friendly as Madigan, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

I interviewed with rads while I was out there, loved them all!!! They even invited me out to a "retreat" to Turtle Bay on the North Shore - so much fun!

::Sigh:: now I'm back in the icebox...

Any more ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a physical medicine and rehab rotation there - it's not listed in the descriptions but is on the pull-down menu of the form you have to fill out. It is NOT a site that has a residency for PM & R - but when I filled out the app I was considering it (when I went there actually wanted rads, got rads in the match, rads dept there is AWESOME!)

I had a BLAST!!! probably because almost no one rotates through PM & R there so the attendings didn't really know what to do with me so they sent me home early with a list of things to do on the island. The weather there is fantastic, I HIGHLY recommend staying at the Hale Koa (ask to stay in the new tower, I can't remember what it's called). It is the best hotel, seriously, rooms very spacious and in the new tower very pretty, great views in all rooms!)

I even got upgraded to a convertible with only having to pay $5 out of pocket b/c the girl at Hertz was so nice - it was AWESOME!!!

Tripler itself is a nice hospital, friendly people, the other students I talked to said that they enjoyed their clinical rotations (I only did outpatient). Girls doing peds said it wasn't quite as friendly as Madigan, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

I interviewed with rads while I was out there, loved them all!!! They even invited me out to a "retreat" to Turtle Bay on the North Shore - so much fun!

::Sigh:: now I'm back in the icebox...

Any more ?
Thanks for the replay

When did you do your rotation? During third year or around sep/oct of fourth year?

Also did the military pay for the car rental?

Did a 42 day ADT at Tripler and absolutely loved it. I HIGHLY suggest going, it is one of the perks of being in the Army. The people were great, the hospital is nice, and I had a lot of time to enjoy the island. I am heading there for my intern year, then back to Walter Reed for Derm. The military will pay for your rental car IF you're on ADT. There is a max per day, that info can be found on Tripler's website. If the Tripler housing fills, they will reimburse you for hotel expenses, but that has a cap as well. All of this information can be found on Tripler's website. I did a month of Plastics then two weeks of FP. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks for the replay

When did you do your rotation? During third year or around sep/oct of fourth year?

Also did the military pay for the car rental?

Did my rotation end of August to Sept of 4th year; yes they paid for the rental car - there is a limit though, I just got luck with the agent who was renting me my car to get the upgrade.

I did a rotation during fall of my fourth year out here, and I'm now a transitional intern out here. Tripler is a great place to come out and learn as well as have a good time. The Army will pay for your car and your hotel room if you are on an ADT. Check your orders for the amounts your allotted for each. I would highly recommend getting the statements of non-availability from the Tripler Lodge and from Schofield barracks so that you can stay elsewhere on the island and get the max money/night for it. They may balk initially, but if you are willing to wait closer to the deadline, you can usually get them. It makes a big difference in terms of reimbursement. I stayed on Kuhio in Waikiki for a month which was a nice respite from work. It also clued me in on not wanting to live downtown when I moved back out here this past June.

Tripler Lodge was privatized in Sep/Oct of 2009 so you no longer require a statement of non-availability to stay someplace else. You are authorized $177per diem for lodging, which will cover the Hale Koa. The rooms do not have microwaves in them, but there is one available on the third floor of Malai tower (which is the new tower I think). I just stocked up with dry products and peanut butter and jelly (there is a mini fridge in the rooms). Nobody seems to offer free WiFi, and internet access at the Hale Koa is going to cost about $10/day if you use it.

Rental car is around $43 per day max. Meals and incidentals ended up being $85 per diem or something like that. I ate sushi from the PX at TAMC for lunch and PB&J for dinner every night except on weekends and ended up putting a little over $2,000 in my pocket when I got back.

As others have said, the hospital is nice and everyone I met was pretty friendly. Most of the staff seem to realize you're in Hawaii and may not get to come back for a LONG time, so they typically will let you off early on Fridays and give you the weekends. I'm sure this isn't true for everyone. I was on an audition rotation and really wanted to match to TAMC (which I did) so I didn't get to see/do as much "touristy" stuff because I was busy trying to look good. Apparently it worked.

One very, very important thing to keep in mind is that, although the Army does pay for your ADT, they REIMBURSE you for your ADT. The day I checked out from the Hale Koa I was handed a bill for a little over $5,000. The rental car was $800. Add in your meals and other stuff and it can get really, really expensive. Make absolutely sure you have the funds to cover your trip before you go. I think you can get a travel advance before leaving but you have to request it something like 30 days prior to your leave date.

The Hale Koa also has a PX/Shopette type thing on the lowest level that stocks basically any groceries you need or would be able to store in your room.

The commute depends on what time you leave. I liked to be early so I would leave around 6:30AM and had zero problem with traffic. It's maybe 10 minutes from the Hale Koa to TAMC. This would give me about 45 minutes or so to relax, check my email, read the news, etc. If you leave after about 3:30PM, expect to sit in traffic for about an hour or so.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Reply or PM me if you have specific questions. TAMC is a great place and I'm glad I will be moving there this summer. If you're going just for the hell of it, try to pick a cushy rotation.

Oh yeah, I went late in fourth year.

Can you sublet a place? I was on craigstlist and there were a few places that seemed much cheaper for a month than a hotel room. Has anyone tried doing this and getting reimbursed for it?

I've always heard good things about Tripler.

Also, I'd highly recommend going here: http://www.eggsnthings.com/

I hope you're a breakfast person because you'll love that place. I'd come back 20 lbs heavier.

They used to have crazy hours that defied conventional restaurant logic. I think opened really early, closed about 2 PM and then closed all throughout early dinner, dinner, and late dinner hours. It looks like they have a new location (news to me) and new hours (news to me), but I haven't been there for many years.

I did peds followed by OB there as a MS3 in 2001. Stayed at the ancient run-down BOQ for most of it, but my family came out and stayed with me for a couple weeks ... during that time I was able to get TAD family housing at Hickam. I showed my TAD orders to the housing office there and they gave me a 2 or 3 bedroom townhouse with a kitchen & washer/dryer. $17/night. I don't know if that deal's still available or possible but you might check it out and consider bringing your family along, if you've got one.

I showed my TAD orders to the housing office there and they gave me a 2 or 3 bedroom townhouse with a kitchen & washer/dryer. $17/night. I don't know if that deal's still available or possible.

Should be . . .I did the same in Summer of '08 during RIMPAC. Amen for gov't sponsored family vacations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Just got approved to do radiology at TAMC. I'll be a 3rd year. I'm HPSP but was going to do it as a non-ADT so I can double up my last two ADTs at the start of 4th year for interviews and because I think by then I'll have a better idea of what to do.

Anyway, my main question is, do I need orders to stay in the on-post lodging? And if not, any idea how much it runs per night? I'll be there for 4 weeks.

If I do decide to go ahead and request orders for this, will I get paid for 45 days even though the rotation is only 4 weeks?

Thanks for your help.

Hey all,

Just got approved to do radiology at TAMC. I'll be a 3rd year. I'm HPSP but was going to do it as a non-ADT so I can double up my last two ADTs at the start of 4th year for interviews and because I think by then I'll have a better idea of what to do.

Anyway, my main question is, do I need orders to stay in the on post lodging? And if not, any idea how much it runs per night? I'll be there for 4 weeks.

If I do decide to go ahead and request orders for this, will I get paid for 45 days even though the rotation is only 4 weeks?

Thanks for your help.

To try and answer your questions,

1) You don't need orders to stay in on-post lodging as long as you have a valid military ID, you will just not be reimbursed obviously. By the way, everything was privatized around TAMC so there's no reason to stay in the TAMC housing. The Navy Lodge's rates for staying without orders is the same as staying with orders I believe. It's like $89 per night and quite a bit nicer than the TAMC lodge. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

2) You will be paid for 45 days active duty even if your rotation is only 4 weeks. The other 15 or whatever days will be scheduled as at school time or however they work their magic.

To try and answer your questions,

1) You don't need orders to stay in on-post lodging as long as you have a valid military ID, you will just not be reimbursed obviously. By the way, everything was privatized around TAMC so there's no reason to stay in the TAMC housing. The Navy Lodge's rates for staying without orders is the same as staying with orders I believe. It's like $89 per night and quite a bit nicer than the TAMC lodge. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

2) You will be paid for 45 days active duty even if your rotation is only 4 weeks. The other 15 or whatever days will be scheduled as at school time or however they work their magic.

Thanks for the helpful information! Do you know how far the Navy Lodge is from TAMC? Is it at Barber's Point?

Thanks for the helpful information! Do you know how far the Navy Lodge is from TAMC? Is it at Barber's Point?

I'm not positive on the specific distance in miles, but I believe the Navy Lodge is really close to Barber's Point. When I was at TAMC I stayed at the Hale Koa. I'm staying at the Navy Lodge as temporary quarters when I PCS in June. It's cheaper and away from all of the touristy crap. There's also a commissary nearby.

I'm not positive on the specific distance in miles, but I believe the Navy Lodge is really close to Barber's Point.
Navy Lodge is on Ford Island, which is about 20-25 minutes from Barber's Point without traffic, anybody's bet with traffic.
When I was at TAMC I stayed at the Hale Koa. I'm staying at the Navy Lodge as temporary quarters when I PCS in June. It's cheaper and away from all of the touristy crap. There's also a commissary nearby.
Yeah, you pick your poison. You have tourist glut of Hale Koa's area vs. strip-mall glut of Navy Lodge area. North Shore and Leeward side of Oahu are lovely. West side is a spectrum of mostly local ugly vs. mostly tourist ugly.

I'm at the point where I'm considering just going ahead and requesting orders for this rotation. As I mentioned I'm a third year. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do yet as far as a specialty goes for residency. Do you think it would be better to save the ADT to double-up during 4th year, or will I be okay/competitive with just one during 4th year? I am willing to fly out for interviews and stuff, but with the way my school's curriculum is set up, I'm only allowed to do a max of two rotations in one area, so if I choose to do something like surgery, I can only use one ADT for it anyway since I have a core surgery rotation during third year.

Wow that was a lot of info.

Anyway thanks for all the info on where to stay! If I go ahead and request orders I think I will try to reserve a room at Hale Koa or something similar since the reimbursement for hotel is pretty decent.

If you have any other helpful info about doing rotations in Hawaii/getting by for a month there, please feel free to share. Thanks!

Nevermind! It turns out I can't even request orders because the required dates for a school ADT take me to 9/30/2010 and the dates I was approved for at TAMC begin 9/19/2010.. So they overlap and I can't do them both at the same time, even though the school ADT is fake..

crap....

I'm headed to TAMC in the fall and have a question about lodging.

I keep hearing and reading that you don't have to stay in TAMC housing, but the information on the TAMC website says that you have to try TAMC housing first, THEN book somewhere else if TAMC housing is full.

So, is the trick to just wait until a couple months out to book lodging?

Any help appreciated.

question regarding 3rd/4th year rotations in general: how early do you typically set up rotations? we just got our 3rd year rotation schedule so I'm just curious about this. I have the hospitals I want to head to in mind, but have yet to schedule anything. it's still a little more than a year out but hey, I don't want the short end of the stick for being late