Trouble getting hospital tech job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sofa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been applying to many different hospitals in the medical center, but I still can't seem to get any call backs. I am in Texas so most, if not all, hospitals want IV certification earned or in the process of obtaining within 90 days of hire. I can't get even seem get interviewed. IV certification is offered at my school but its $700 extra as an outside class.

When i apply to the openings I attach my resume with indications that I am a current P2. Im thinking i should leave that info out, just in case they dont wanna hire me because they think i won't be available as often? I am looking to maintain my retail job and acquire a hospital gig as prn.

Any feedback/help please?

Quick stats:
-3 years of retail tech exp
-no hospital exp
-both tech and pharmD Intern licenses
-no IV cert
-looking for PRN/part time work in houston, tx area

Members don't see this ad.

At our hospital we hire a few pharmacy students as resource positions, but it is hard otherwise. They usually cannot commit to the schedule we need.

hospitals don't want the expense of training you to work part-time, I would take the IV certification class you have at your school, that will probably give your resume a boost.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a better idea for me to leave out that I am a pharmacy student?

I was thinking about leaving out that information until I get hired/past probation.

Is it a better idea for me to leave out that I am a pharmacy student?

I was thinking about leaving out that information until I get hired/past probation.

I would not leave that out, because realistically your work schedule will have to be around your school schedule and the place hiring you needs to know that up front (I suppose you could just say you are a generic college student, but its probably going to come up in the interview, "oh, what are you majoring in at XYZ University?) It's better to be honest & not get the job, then to lie, get the job, and get fired/have a black mark on your record when its found out that you lied.

Thanks for the honesty. School is priority.

Another thing I keep hearing is that it is preferable to hire a new employee rather than train a retail tech to do a hospital job. Bearing that in mind, should I leave out my retail experience? I'm not sure what it is, but in the back of my mind, I keep thinking something is holding me back. I just don't know what it is yet.

Sounds like you need to hit the pavement. I got my hospital job by working in the hospital in an unrelated area, and making a good impression.

Volunteer, make a good impression with whoever is in charge. At the hospital I worked at as a technician, when tech-I positions opened up, reliable and consistent volunteers that the weekend manager knew got hired. The positions were never even put on the website.

Thanks for the honesty. School is priority.

Another thing I keep hearing is that it is preferable to hire a new employee rather than train a retail tech to do a hospital job. Bearing that in mind, should I leave out my retail experience? I'm not sure what it is, but in the back of my mind, I keep thinking something is holding me back. I just don't know what it is yet.

I don't think its anything about you that is making you be held, I think its just the bad economy. Still....I have know hospital directors who don't like retail and try to avoid hiring techs/pharmacist from retail, many don't feel this way, but its possible you have run into a few like that. You could leave your retail experience off your resume, but my job applications are going to ask you to list the last 2 -4 jobs you've held, and you would have to be honest there. I would only leave off your retail experience, if you have other jobs experience, because most managers are going to prefer hiring someone with experience in any type of work environment, rather than hiring someone with no experience.