Trouble with non-science LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reca12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm in a dilemma. I'm a second semester senior planning on applying to med school this summer, and my non-science LOR options are kind of weak. I took all of my small, non-science classes as a freshman and sophomore, so it's been a while. Who do you think is the best here?

1. French instructor from fall of freshman year - wrote me a terrific letter for a summer study abroad program, but it's obviously been a long time since then. My pre-med advisory office says absolutely not due to the length of time passed...

2. History course TA from fall of senior year - she's a 1st year grad student, but she graded all of my papers and exams, and I was also a regular participant during discussion. Pre-med office says it's fine, but I hear so often that TA letters hold so little clout. Will try to get the professor to cosign it, but he's on a leave of absence this semester and may have left campus.

3. French instructor from spring of sophomore year - didn't participate as much, but I wrote well and did well in the class. I haven't talked to her since. Would try to contact her ASAP and possibly set up a lunch/dinner where we could talk and get reacquainted, bring her old papers to jog her memory, and such. Pre-med office thinks I should go with TA?

I'm leaning more toward option 3, but I would like to hear from you guys.

I'm anticipating strong science LORs and a fantastic one from my research advisor, who's known me for 3 years, but it's just this one that's making me nervous. I had hoped to take a seminar now, but I ended up having a way busier schedule than I thought I would. Definitely should have planned that better!

I guess what I'm asking is, what matters more: the fact that the letter is more recent or that it's written by a prof? Or should I even go with the freshman professor since the content was pretty good?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I'm in a dilemma. I'm a second semester senior planning on applying to med school this summer, and my non-science LOR options are kind of weak. I took all of my small, non-science classes as a freshman and sophomore, so it's been a while. Who do you think is the best here?

1. French instructor from fall of freshman year - wrote me a terrific letter for a summer study abroad program, but it's obviously been a long time since then. My pre-med advisory office says absolutely not due to the length of time passed...

2. History course TA from fall of senior year - she's a 1st year grad student, but she graded all of my papers and exams, and I was also a regular participant during discussion. Pre-med office says it's fine, but I hear so often that TA letters hold so little clout. Will try to get the professor to cosign it, but he's on a leave of absence this semester and may have left campus.

3. French instructor from spring of sophomore year - didn't participate as much, but I wrote well and did well in the class. I haven't talked to her since. Would try to contact her ASAP and possibly set up a lunch/dinner where we could talk and get reacquainted, bring her old papers to jog her memory, and such. Pre-med office thinks I should go with TA?

I'm leaning more toward option 3, but I would like to hear from you guys.

I'm anticipating strong science LORs and a fantastic one from my research advisor, who's known me for 3 years, but it's just this one that's making me nervous. I had hoped to take a seminar now, but I ended up having a way busier schedule than I thought I would. Definitely should have planned that better!

I can't comment much on the clout of TA letters, though I would think they are valued less than proffs. I'd imagine that the first proff might very well be able to tweak the letter she/he already wrote for you, making the job quite a bit easier. It never hurts to ask, go talk to him/her, and see if she feels able to write you a strong letter. Remember, the least bit of hesitancy means you should back off, and ask someone else.

Why do you think medical schools want a non-science LOR?

Members don't see this ad :)

To show that I can communicate and am able to think about other areas than science? Especially since the non-science component to medicine (aka people skills) is pretty important?

Do they, or is this just another thing that pre-meds come up with and repeat over and over until they believe it's the truth?

Do they, or is this just another thing that pre-meds come up with and repeat over and over until they believe it's the truth?

+1

Most schools are flexible with their LoR requirement. I applied to 25+ schools and needed a non-science waiver just once.

I found that the schools who recommended a non-science LOR were happy with my physician letters as a replacement.