Trying to better understand SMPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluestrawberries

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

If you are in an SMP and did well (3.8+ GPA) and have an MCAT that is the median for your host SMP do you have a strong chance of getting in?

I am considering them and would like to go to one with a strong linkage and good reputation.

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity, what do you think is the answer to this question?

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, what do you think is the answer to this question?

I'm actually not sure. I know people still get rejected after doing well in the SMP so I wonder what other factors would come into play? I am also wondering if there are some SMPs that are better known for taking their own students than others because I'm sure it varies from school to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Other factors would come into play

Thus, the answer is yes but *insert quote above here*

There is not a single scenario that I imagine where someone who does well + has a MCAT matching their median doesn't have a strong chance without other factors that would come into play affecting it.

An ideal SMP student would be an above average MD candidate in all aspects except undergraduate GPA.

Here's a small N from our SMP. Every student who did well in the program (85% or higher) either went into our program, or another DO or MD school.

You can still get rejected for having a poor interview, or a bad LOR.

I firmly believe that doing well in an SMP along with MCAT should net one lots of IIs. Getting accepted is 100% on you.

Hi everyone.

If you are in an SMP and did well (3.8+ GPA) and have an MCAT that is the median for your host SMP do you have a strong chance of getting in?

I am considering them and would like to go to one with a strong linkage and good reputation.