Trying to complete pre-reqs in 2 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Finette

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

First time poster here. A little about myself: I'm a non-trad student (hence the forum selection). I started school at a community college years ago, say 8 or 9, did the troubled youth thing, went from being a straight A student to failing a bunch of classes my last semester, and finally took a nice, long break. Said "I'll go back to school one day" about a billion times, before life finally shook me back and forth, and I went through a quarter life crisis. I saved up money, re-took all the classes I failed, and bumped up my GPA from a 2.7 to a 3.7 in a single semester.

I've decided to pursue medical school, because I think it will make me feel really fulfilled in the long run. I'm thinking I would like to pursue Psychiatry or Neurology, but I'm well aware I could change my mind once I'm actually in med school, and I'm keeping my mind open to other possibilities. I'm a long way off from having that be my main concern.

I'm now transferring to a major university, and about to begin my junior year. Here's the deal: I was previously a psych major, and have almost NO prereqs done. I'm kinda freaking out, because I don't know if I should 1.) switch majors to Biology, so I can get all the prereqs done in 2 years, or if 2.) I can stay within Psych, and still get all the prereqs done?? I have a friend who just graduated med school, and he said if I switch to Bio I might have to start all the way at the beginning, and add an addition year or two on time to completion of my Bachelors. I'm not in a financial position to do this. Basically, a really awesome person has agreed to fund my living expenses while I go to school full time, but I could not ask them to do this for more than 2 years.

Not sure if anyone has any similar experiences/advice on finishing all the prereqs in 2 years, and if this is possible in a non-bio major. Really wish I'd known what I wanted to do a little sooner in life, but you know what they say, hindsights 20/20!

Members don't see this ad.

I did a post bac in 2 years flat, having none but a previous C in chem1 which I retook. It was hard, but not so bad at the same time (looking back)

Don't switch majors. No need. It doesn't matter what your major is in. Seriously, does not matter, so long as
a) you get good grades (shoot for overall 3.5+, more is always better)
b) take all the prereqs during your time, or even after. It doesn't really matter. Do well on your prereqs - this will be a large focus of the med school admissions.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I can stay within Psych, and still get all the prereqs done??

I think with your current interests, it would be the most fun to stay in your major.

Depending on how many major courses you need each semester and if you have any pre-reqs done - it may (not?) be doable.

Assuming semester:

Semester 1:
-Biology/Lab
-Chemistry/Lab
-Major course
-Major course

Semester 2:
-Biology 2/Lab
-Chemistry 2/Lab
-Calculus 1
-Major course

Semester 3:
-Physics/Lab
-Organic Chemistry/Lab
-Major course
-Major course

Semester 4:
-Physics 2/Lab
-Organic Chemistry 2/Lab
-Biochemistry
-Major course

This plan assumes you only need six courses for your major - highly unlikely I assume. Try to write out something like this and figure out on your own if it is possible. It may be best to extend your time or take some pre-reqs part-time after graduating. I also left out a second semester of math - which may or may not be the right choice for you. I also left out psychology and sociology - assuming you took them as part of your transfer requirement.

Essentially without knowing how many courses you need, the plan is not creatable. I suggest starting by listing out all the units you need to take for your major and medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the thought out replies! This was extremely helfpul.

Cawolf, I just finished laying out semester schedules like you said I should, both for Bio and for Psych. If I take some summer classes, which I don't mind doing, I think I can finish with a Psych major and the pre-requisites. I will definitely have more than the traditional 120 credits though (maybe 130-135). Is having too many credits going to hurt my chances at all of medical school acceptance? Is that something they pay much mind to?

No, it's very common with transfer students.

Best of luck.