Trying to decide whether MCAT retake is necessary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Temet Nosce

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current MCAT 27 (PS 10 VR 7 BS 10)

Undergrad GPA as accounting major (3.00)
Post-bacc pre-health GPA split evenly between an ivy league and non-ivy league institution (3.60)

400 hours volunteer lab work, 6 month stint in hospital ER, shadowed 4 different DOs, currently working at a firm involved in clinical grant payments between pharm companies and clinical investigators

Trying to decide what my chances are for DO and whether an MCAT retake is necessary. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your case is interesting... I'm no expert, but I'd say you have a <40% chance of matriculation with the current stats. Your cGPA is what then? Probably like 3.3? You could do it, just apply broadly, all DO

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the reply DocConk! Yes, cumulative is just slightly under a 3.3. Your response sounds correct. I applied last cycle to 11 DO schools but wasn't able to get the primary app out until January. I interviewed at 2 schools which resulted in waitlist spots that haven't turned into anything. I am hoping that having gotten my primary application out early this cycle will lead to better results. Certainly, retaking the MCAT and bumping up that VR score couldn't hurt; I just don't want to take that test again if it's not necessary!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey no problem. Best of luck. Yeah, your late application last cycle undoubtedly hurt you pretty badly, making your chances a lot lower. Hopefully the other aspects of your app are strong and you can interview well, and it'll help if you've got a nice, positively steady GPA trend for the opposite could quite possibly be the nail in your coffin.

Current MCAT 27 (PS 10 VR 7 BS 10)

Undergrad GPA as accounting major (3.00)
Post-bacc pre-health GPA split evenly between an ivy league and non-ivy league institution (3.60)

400 hours volunteer lab work, 6 month stint in hospital ER, shadowed 4 different DOs, currently working at a firm involved in clinical grant payments between pharm companies and clinical investigators

Trying to decide what my chances are for DO and whether an MCAT retake is necessary.
I think your MCAT score is fine. You don't need to retake it. Stats-wise, applying with an AACOMAS cGPA of 3.3/sGPA 3.6/MCAT 27 and a steep upward grade trend would get you in somewhere, especially if you include newer schools on your list. EC-wise, though, I feel your active clinical experience is on the sparse side with only 6 months and I encourage you to keep beefing that up through the application cycle for the sake of Secondaries, update letters, and interview conversations. Some nonmedical community service would be a nice addition as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Much appreciation for the response Catalystik. Your advice is well-heeded; thank you.