Trying to decide whether to delay MCAT or not...need advice on FLs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCDOCDOCD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So first off, my goal is MD/PhD so I'm hoping to score 36+ although I could make due with 34 (maybe even a bit lower considering how strong the rest of my app will be but I'd really like to avoid that risk). I'm signed up for July 6th and have been taking an AAMC practice test per week since I finished with content review a few weeks ago. So far my scores have been:

AAMC #3 - PS:12, VR:10, BS:9 - 31
AAMC #4 - PS:12, VR:11, BS:13 - 36
AAMC #5 - PS:10, VR:11, BS:12 - 33

Now normally I'd assume that I've still got work to do but am most of the way there already. However, I know that AAMC 3-5 are the easiest ones. I also know that my two friends who took the MCAT both scored lower than their practice averages (one fell by 2 points, the other by 4) and that this isn't terribly uncommon hence why I'd imagine people say your average should be 2 points above your goal. I'm also aware that bio is, apparently, very different on the real thing from what you get on the practice tests.

So considering all of that I'm starting to seriously consider delaying the test into August, probably late August. I don't have any intentions of applying until next cycle, although I would prefer to avoid delaying if possible since I currently have no clinical experience or shadowing hours (just a ton of research experience and a lot to show for it) and thus want to get in a decent amount of clinical/shadowing hours before next June.

While I was planning on taking AAMC 7 this week, I'm thinking maybe it would be best to try my hand at AAMC 11 since people say it's the most like the real thing, especially with regards to bio. I figure then I would have a pretty good idea of where I'm at. Or maybe take AAMC 7 this week, study for another week, and then do AAMC 11 next week since I think I can still delay up to two weeks beforehand. What do you guys think about that? Or should I delay now and not waste anymore AAMCs until closer to August?

For the record, I've been studying since mid-February but work full time so I haven't been able to put in very much time per day (2-3 hours on weekdays, 4-5 hours on weekends). I've got TBR and have already done all the phase 1 passages and probably somewhere between 25-50% of the phase 2 passages, along with a bunch of TPRH science workbook passages, and 11 tests from EK101 (planning to finish that this week and get to TPRH verbal workbook). So there's definitely enough material to hold me over to late August and I seriously doubt I can get through it all by July 6th.

Members don't see this ad.

So first off, my goal is MD/PhD so I'm hoping to score 36+ although I could make due with 34 (maybe even a bit lower considering how strong the rest of my app will be but I'd really like to avoid that risk). I'm signed up for July 6th and have been taking an AAMC practice test per week since I finished with content review a few weeks ago. So far my scores have been:

AAMC #3 - PS:12, VR:10, BS:9 - 31
AAMC #4 - PS:12, VR:11, BS:13 - 36
AAMC #5 - PS:10, VR:11, BS:12 - 33

Now normally I'd assume that I've still got work to do but am most of the way there already. However, I know that AAMC 3-5 are the easiest ones. I also know that my two friends who took the MCAT both scored lower than their practice averages (one fell by 2 points, the other by 4) and that this isn't terribly uncommon hence why I'd imagine people say your average should be 2 points above your goal. I'm also aware that bio is, apparently, very different on the real thing from what you get on the practice tests.

So considering all of that I'm starting to seriously consider delaying the test into August, probably late August. I don't have any intentions of applying until next cycle, although I would prefer to avoid delaying if possible since I currently have no clinical experience or shadowing hours (just a ton of research experience and a lot to show for it) and thus want to get in a decent amount of clinical/shadowing hours before next June.

While I was planning on taking AAMC 7 this week, I'm thinking maybe it would be best to try my hand at AAMC 11 since people say it's the most like the real thing, especially with regards to bio. I figure then I would have a pretty good idea of where I'm at. Or maybe take AAMC 7 this week, study for another week, and then do AAMC 11 next week since I think I can still delay up to two weeks beforehand. What do you guys think about that? Or should I delay now and not waste anymore AAMCs until closer to August?

For the record, I've been studying since mid-February but work full time so I haven't been able to put in very much time per day (2-3 hours on weekdays, 4-5 hours on weekends). I've got TBR and have already done all the phase 1 passages and probably somewhere between 25-50% of the phase 2 passages, along with a bunch of TPRH science workbook passages, and 11 tests from EK101 (planning to finish that this week and get to TPRH verbal workbook). So there's definitely enough material to hold me over to late August and I seriously doubt I can get through it all by July 6th.

Don't take AAMC11 until you're very close to the real deal - it's a very good test that you don't want to waste. Take the tests in their order as it will help prep you for test 11 and then the real deal. You still have a whole month to study - i.e. do practice passages which should boost your score. You seem like you are in a good spot at the moment just keep it up. That's my opinion.
Oops - forgot to add this, don't feel like you HAVE to get through all of your practice materials.. heck, there is an overwhelming amount in TBR as it is, but I think it's safe to say that the majority of people don't get through the entirety of their practice materials.. it can be a bit overboard and time consuming. Just try to do what you can without burning yourself out.

Don't take AAMC11 until you're very close to the real deal - it's a very good test that you don't want to waste. Take the tests in their order as it will help prep you for test 11 and then the real deal. You still have a whole month to study - i.e. do practice passages which should boost your score. You seem like you are in a good spot at the moment just keep it up. That's my opinion.
Oops - forgot to add this, don't feel like you HAVE to get through all of your practice materials.. heck, there is an overwhelming amount in TBR as it is, but I think it's safe to say that the majority of people don't get through the entirety of their practice materials.. it can be a bit overboard and time consuming. Just try to do what you can without burning yourself out.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people on here say that 11 should be taken last but that always seemed kind of counter productive to me. Wouldn't it be better to take the best practice test well before the test date so you can figure out where you need to improve instead of taking it days before the test when theres nothing you can do in response?

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people on here say that 11 should be taken last but that always seemed kind of counter productive to me. Wouldn't it be better to take the best practice test well before the test date so you can figure out where you need to improve instead of taking it days before the test when theres nothing you can do in response?

It does seem counterintuitive and a bit hard to explain. IMO aamc 11 mimics the real thing better than any other practice test because it requires the MOST critical thinking/logic/reasoning versus rote memorization. So say you don't do too well, it means you need to practice the critical thinking skills you should be practicing on tests 7-10, leading up to 11. 7-10 have more rote memorization type questions mixed in there, so you can truly find your strengths and weaknesses in terms of what content you need to brush up on - which you should continue to do up until the real deal. Once you get to 11, the hope is that you have mastered the concepts, have learned from your careless errors, etc. from the past, have mastered your timing down, feel comfortable with the whole format of the test and can basically swing it out of the ballpark. I get how it can seem pointless to save the best for last, but it really does make sense if you look at it that way. You want to take 11 like it's the real deal - you want to be as prepared as possible, otherwise it can be a waste of a really good test. Hope that helps. But if it's not convincing enough, everyone is different and ultimately you gotta do what feels right to your personal schedule - you said you have a few friends who have taken it so maybe ask for their opinion about saving 11 til the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the order should be 11, 9, 10.

That way, you can see the way 11 is set up and prepare accordingly. Otherwise, you might get a little shell shocked.

Learn to diagram the BS passages. I can't believe I never thought of that.

Just took practice test 7, got identical scores on every section as test 5. I'd say it's pretty clear I'm cruising straight for a 33 right now. What's worrying is that all I studied last week was gen chem and still missed 5/29 of the gen chem questions which is pretty much the same as last time (5/28 wrong), so I literally made zero progress.

I'm thinking I'm going to delay now and hold off on another practice test for at least two weeks since I don't think there's much point right now when the current trend is that I'll just get the exact same score. Or maybe I should finish the AAMCs and order TBR tests, I don't know.

I think the order should be 11, 9, 10.

That way, you can see the way 11 is set up and prepare accordingly. Otherwise, you might get a little shell shocked.

Learn to diagram the BS passages. I can't believe I never thought of that.

What do you mean by "Learn to Diagram the BS Passages?"