Trying to Figure Things Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elscy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am trying to figure things out right now, and I am not even sure if this will go anywhere.

Once upon a time, I was a traditional premed student. I even went to a high school wherein I got the opportunity to spend a semester shadowing in different departments of the local hospital. Then I went off to college where I majored in Biology, and I floundered in large lecture classes. I was dealing with some psych issues resulting from a car accident that out my family in the hospital, and it turned out that I could barely hear. I had tympanoplasty surgery after my second year, but by then, the damage to my gpa (in particular, my science gpa) was done. I changed my major at this point to studying about medicine rather than being a science major. Ultimately, my undergraduate gpa is 3.24 with a BS in Science, Technology, and Culture with a concentration in Biomedicine and Culture in 2009. I do, however, have a number of Ws because I was in a flexible program where I would sign up for an extra class or two then choose which one I wanted after I met the professor and received the syllabus. I have no idea how schools will look at that. Furthermore, I have many credits due to an incomplete psychology minor and the major change. Massive shifts in overall gpa will be difficult.

This August I will be graduating with a MA in Medical Humanities and Bioethics (actually, I am done - I just have to wait for the diploma), and I have previously published bioethics research. Hopefully, my thesis will yield another article or more.

Anyway, about a year or two ago, I started to think about going into clinical medicine again. I know I will need to retake my first two years of undergrad classes and pick up the prereqs I never took. I am leaning to a DIY at one of two local universities. In addition, I am applying to scribe/transport/advocate jobs and am looking into volunteering at hospitals. If I had the money, I would get a CNA or PCT, but all of the programs I have found cost more than I can afford without aid. Somehow all of this just seemed so much easier ten years ago.
Long story short, I appreciate you for reading this, and if you have any advice, I would appreciate that as well.

Members don't see this ad.