Trying to get back on track....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airblaster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied twice, once in undergrad and most recently last year during graduate school. Denied both times. I am now graduated and unemployed, trying to decide if I want to work or try to give it another crack. Regardless, I need to get a job soon, perhaps something research or medically related to help boost my stats.

Is it worth applying this cycle? I have considered DO schools and over-seas. I am also getting over some personal issues and am finding it really hard to concentrate and focus on myself, making this even more difficult.

About me::
Undergrad in microbiology, GPA 3.00 (bad, I know)
Master's in bacteriology, GPA 3.15 (bad, I know, especially for grad school)
MCAT (taken three times): 19, 18, 24 (again, not good)
My father is a physician and I've shadowed him as well as other doctor's he knows.
Hospital volunteer for 2 years
1 year of neuro research
1 summer of microbiology research
Micro lab teaching assistant
Leadership certificate through my university
Involved in boy scouts, outing club, bio club, pre-med club
Personal interests are snowboarding and art

My stats are not great. I was an excellent student in high school, scored very highly and didn't have to try very hard. I got to college and lost my way a bit, got my heart broken and had family issues, this made it extremely difficult to focus on school. I am still dealing with some of these issues.

I am looking to start from scratch and fight back hard. I am deciding if I should apply now with the stats I have, or get a job and spend the year upping my stats (volunteer more, study for the MCAT), and apply next cycle. I'm 25 so I really hate to waste any more time.

I have even considered applying and trying to get into Ross University's January class. I'd really like to go to a US MD school, however. Where should I look? Can I still apply this cycle with decent chances?

I appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied twice, once in undergrad and most recently last year during graduate school. Denied both times. I am now graduated and unemployed, trying to decide if I want to work or try to give it another crack. Regardless, I need to get a job soon, perhaps something research or medically related to help boost my stats.

Is it worth applying this cycle? I have considered DO schools and over-seas. I am also getting over some personal issues and am finding it really hard to concentrate and focus on myself, making this even more difficult.

About me::
Undergrad in microbiology, GPA 3.00 (bad, I know)
Master's in bacteriology, GPA 3.15 (bad, I know, especially for grad school)
MCAT (taken three times): 19, 18, 24 (again, not good)
My father is a physician and I've shadowed him as well as other doctor's he knows.
Hospital volunteer for 2 years
1 year of neuro research
1 summer of microbiology research
Micro lab teaching assistant
Leadership certificate through my university
Involved in boy scouts, outing club, bio club, pre-med club
Personal interests are snowboarding and art

My stats are not great. I was an excellent student in high school, scored very highly and didn't have to try very hard. I got to college and lost my way a bit, got my heart broken and had family issues, this made it extremely difficult to focus on school. I am still dealing with some of these issues.

I am looking to start from scratch and fight back hard. I am deciding if I should apply now with the stats I have, or get a job and spend the year upping my stats (volunteer more, study for the MCAT), and apply next cycle. I'm 25 so I really hate to waste any more time.

I have even considered applying and trying to get into Ross University's January class. I'd really like to go to a US MD school, however. Where should I look? Can I still apply this cycle with decent chances?

I appreciate any help.

Unfortunately there is no starting from scratch. Your application is the cumulative of the effort you have put in and the potential you have. You can't erase past mistakes. US MD schools probably won't accept you. Your stats and GPA are low. You had another chance in your masters program and didn't really change anything. Saying I really want it doesn't mean it is going to happen. Right now you would probably even have a hard time at DO schools.

Someone should post that link from the "start fresh" guidelines thread...

Anyways, if you want a logistic answer, you could move to Texas and do the academic fresh start program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe a podiatric school? You can try DO but idk how that will fair.:( Someone said something about fresh start academic program in Texas. Depends on how bad you want to be a physician. I say look for other places in health care, move to texas, or get out and just start working.

Caribbean is always worth a try, however, you said you really wanted a US MD school.

I don't expect to erase any of my mistakes. I realize everything I've done quantifies who I am as a candidate. I am looking for my best options at this point.

If I start a real job it will most likely be a one year minimum appointment. Hypothetically, if I were to apply to a school and get in, I would still have a job to be committed to when the semester begins. This concerns me. I suppose I could be up front about this when I interview, but I would bet they would choose not to hire me given that information.

I am being honest with my past, I don't need anyone telling me "you don't want it enough". I've applied twice, taken the MCAT three times, and I'm still here and don't plan on giving up. I'm just getting to the point emotionally and financially where I need to make a final move and follow through hard.

I don't expect to erase any of my mistakes. I realize everything I've done quantifies who I am as a candidate. I am looking for my best options at this point.

If I start a real job it will most likely be a one year minimum appointment. Hypothetically, if I were to apply to a school and get in, I would still have a job to be committed to when the semester begins. This concerns me. I suppose I could be up front about this when I interview, but I would bet they would choose not to hire me given that information.

I am being honest with my past, I don't need anyone telling me "you don't want it enough". I've applied twice, taken the MCAT three times, and I'm still here and don't plan on giving up. I'm just getting to the point emotionally and financially where I need to make a final move and follow through hard.

No one is claiming that you don't want it enough. All I said is that is not enough. And apparently you can start from scratch somewhere based on other posts so go do that. Applying with the same stats and same MCAT wouldn't be a good idea though and I doubt one year will make up for all of that. Until you stats are or are the equivalent of (dont know hoe these start over programs work) a 30+ MCAT and 3.5 GPA it probably would be a giant mistake and financial drain to apply.

If he rocked the next MCAT (thinking 32+ compared to 25-26 for the average DO matriculant) wouldn't that maybe nudge some possible acceptances from DO schools? (over here for MSUCOM some students have taken it over 4-5 times before getting accepted finally)

You might need to look into some sort of assistant programs. You'll still be a part of a team in the end, just not so much of a 'leader' role.

You are years away from being competitive for US MD programs. That's the honest truth of the situation. I'm not questioning whether you "want" it enough.

You need to enroll in a postbacc to raise your GPA and study seriously for the MCAT. You may even need an SMP additionally, but your MCAT is probably too low for them to consider you right now.

OP you arent going to get into a US MD or DO school the way your current situation stands. The way most schools are going to see you is...OP went to grad school and STILL couldnt hang academically. Its a ****ty situation but it is what it is. Ross may be your only bet here unfortunately. And I dont mean to be a dick...bit if you couldnt hang in a graduate program what makes you think that you can survive in medical school. It is FAR more difficult than graduate school. Furthermore the carribbean schools are known for having an insanely difficult curriculum....failing out half the class...all so that they can take your money and drop you without remorse. This happened to someone in my grad school class who graduated grad school with around a 3.0 GPA. Poor guy.

Outside of Ross, I think your best bet may be to pursue work pertaining to your grad degree. If you have a bachelors in biology and you do a year long internship in a micro lab/clinical lab, you are eligible to sit for the ASCP CLS certification exam. Work for a year or two in a clinical micro lab, and then consider doing some more grad work/a formal post bacc/retaking your MCAT and then you may have a shot at a US MD or DO program.

This is essentially what I did after graduating undergrad with a 2.45 GPA (except the order of what I did was different. I graduated got my MT ASCP worked for 4 years while getting my masters...smoked it with a 3.78..took my MCAT and ended up getting accepted to several DO schools...didnt try for MD due to my terrible undergrad GPA).

Thanks for all the feedback, willen.... your post was especially helpful.

That is a big concern of mine, if I do go to Ross, will I be able to hang? I took a medical school class (neuro anatomy 1st year), at my state med school. I did well and got a recommendation from the instructor, but it was only one class. I think I can do it, I just have to get used to studying way more.

Is it worth saving 2 to 3 years of grunt work to go to Ross now? OR wait and get some clinically-related job and retake the MCAT. I've taken it 3 times now and the material has gotten really stale, really don't want to do it again, but I will.

You are in a tough situation here. Low U and grad gpa. Low MCAT. Are you willing to put more years of work in order to get where you want? It's a huge risk.

You would need a 35+ MCAT and even then you're really one the borderline because of the low Ugrad and grad GPA. You would to do 2 years of past-bacc work (full time student without a job) and essentially get straight A's to demonstrate a strong upward trend and academic improvement, in the case a more average MCAT score would be acceptable. This would also have to occur simultaneously with other ECs. Just go to Ross or Seba, unless you're really set on a U.S. MD.

You would need a 35+ MCAT and even then you're really one the borderline because of the low Ugrad and grad GPA. You would to do 2 years of past-bacc work (full time student without a job) and essentially get straight A's to demonstrate a strong upward trend and academic improvement, in the case a more average MCAT score would be acceptable. This would also have to occur simultaneously with other ECs. Just go to Ross or Seba, unless you're really set on a U.S. MD.

IF you are still set on US MD, you need to get your priorities straight. No MD in the US is gonna take your applications on unless you can clone a Dinosaur, or produce a universal vaccine that can wipe out Malaria.
Your best bet is to give yourself 2 years to improve your grades and MCAT, then apply DO.

I'm coming to terms with the fact that Ross (or other Caribbean school) might be my best option. I was previously leaning towards taking two years to do better on my MCAT and increase my patient exposure experience. But I realize these things do not guarantee my admittance. I really don't see myself going to a post-bacc after already getting my master's, but it is something I am considering.

Are you sure you have what it takes to become a doctor?

There's no curving in most medical schools. At SGU, you need a 75% on the exams to pass.

It's an expensive investment if you are still not sure. If you can't study for the MCAT and get above average, can you get above average on the Steps? Going to a Caribbean school, you NEED to be above average.