Trying to get job shadowing, what should I be doing better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SexyMariGal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get some job shadowing in, but all the offices I have visited haven't panned out at all. I dress business casual and ask the front desk if the doctor would be open to have me do some job shadowing, since I am a student and am interested in what it is like to be a dentist.

They usually take down my name and phone number and tell me they will call me back, but most of the times, I don't receive a callback and the very few that have called me back tell me that the doctor is too busy to allow anyone to shadow. Does anyone have any advice on what I could be doing differently here?

Members don't see this ad.

go to private practices, and you can experiment with off hours, or lunch hours (prefer the former). Dress is fine, but express alot more interest. I went to about 20 places before i found a whole bunch of sucess in one area, and landed 3 hits. based off this, they liked me and what i was about and hooked me up with their friends and made some calls on my behalf. opened doors 100x easier.

conversations went typically as follows:

I would say something similar to you, but expressing alot mroe interest. smiling introduction, how are you, im feeling great today, i would like to ask you about volunteering/ shadowing / interning possibilities (alot of them didnt know what "shadowing" meant, and i felt it turned them off of the idea somewhat). I'm currently a . . .. and am in the process of applying to dental school. I would really like the opportunity to volunteer here for one day and spend some time seeing what the dentist does if thats alright with you all. Im really interested in dentistry, and would like to see who things work in person and make sure its a career i want to pursue. . .

^ This would be based on how receptive they are to me, and willing to have a convo. Many places took name and number, and other just rejected me flat out. keep trying.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm trying to get some job shadowing in, but all the offices I have visited haven't panned out at all. I dress business casual and ask the front desk if the doctor would be open to have me do some job shadowing, since I am a student and am interested in what it is like to be a dentist.

They usually take down my name and phone number and tell me they will call me back, but most of the times, I don't receive a callback and the very few that have called me back tell me that the doctor is too busy to allow anyone to shadow. Does anyone have any advice on what I could be doing differently here?

I know your feeling, and I experienced the same thing. From my previous experience, this is better way to get job shadowing. So, you have your dentist, right? Your dentist knows his/her close dentists in the same area. You should tell your dentist first that you want to get a shadowing job. He/She probably contact them for you. Or also have you been shadowing your best friend's dentist? You guys can go and ask together. Good Luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if you're still a student but after I couldn't find a dentist to shadow on my own I went to the pre-dental advisor at my school and asked if she knew any dentists that would be willing to let me shadow. Worked out pretty well for me, good luck!

Stay away from corporate offices and high end offices (unless you know someone). They usually have a policy against this.

In Illinois, the state dental society splits the state in districts. You can contact someone that's on the board of your district and ask. Your state society also might have a mentoring program.

A big hint of advice I can give you is this:

Go to your university's Health Clinic or Doctors Office or whatever they have and ask if they have a list of dentists they refer students too that go there with mouth related injuries/problems. If they have a list ask for a copy and take the list to you when you ask to job shadow one of the dentists on the list. Briefly mention that you are a student at _________ and that you would be interested in job shadowing them. Most of the time this will do the trick because they are getting patients from the university so they should be willing to help you out.

If you are really sexy, as your handle indicates, then you should have no trouble landing a shadowing gig. In fact, you could probably land an assisting job just as easily.

Getting in to shadow can sometimes be difficult-- I am a pre dent student and it took me a good year to get in my first office. I can honestly see why dentists aren't always open to having just who ever come in and shadow... they are busy and it takes up time. The key is getting in your first office and making a great impression and growing your contacts from there. Having a good reputation with just one office can help you in so many ways.

Another thing to think about is trying to get a job in the field. Oral surgeon's are always hiring for sterilization tech's, you don't need to be certified to do this. Also, you could consider front desk at general offices. While in school, I contacted many oral surgeon's offices and found one that was looking for a summer only sterilization tech since that is their busy time. This has led to temp jobs in numerous other offices just by word of mouth (for when I'm on school breaks).Just be creative in getting in the offices!

try looking for a free clinic. they are almost always looking for volunteers

Choose your words carefully, I think the words volunteer and intern can easily turn a dentist off. I was very successful walking into places and I think I asked if I could "observe in the office". Make sure trying for all dentists you've been a former patient of.

I googled as many local dental offices as possible, and had a spiel prepared: "Hi, My name is ______ and I'm a student at ______ interested in applying to dental school. I was wondering if I could volunteer or intern in your clinic?" The receptionist for the first clinic I called put me on hold for a bit, and then told me sure, come in and talk to our office manager. I came in the next day with my resume and the manager said they're short-staffed anyway so I could start whenever. You just need to be persistent and call everyone. I got lucky on my first try, but I had a long list of phone numbers ready to attack haha.

+1 :thumbup:

See if your school has a advisor or career center that can get you in contact with some alumni who are dentists. Mine gave me about 10 emails/numbers of dentists who were seeking to mentor pre-dents.

Hey everyone, I was wonder about the same problem about job shadowing. Would it be a good idea if I want to shadow at a local hospital should I mention that I am HIPPA certified, ect.? (Child and Adult CPR/AED, Blood Borne Pathogen training, and standard first aid) I plan on taking to my advisor after this week (spring break:love:) to see if there is any past grad who are in the medical field that I can shadow, since the school I attend is a Private Christian University that does not have a medical center attach to the school besides a small health center, where few doctors check on students, but nothing is different specialties. Also in the summer I plan to get my CNA, would that help with volunteering and job shadowing?

The only thing that worked for me was when my mom called her dentist of many years and asked him if I could shadow. We also had a neighbor who was a dentist who let me shadow her, and she put me in touch with several other dentists in the area. I had tried visiting many offices before with no luck. (I would go, introduce myself, and leave a resume and cover letter. Nothing!) So, I would try contacting a dentist you already know if possible.

I would definitely contact your personal dentist first that's what I did. I asked friends and family members about their dentists and if they thought they would be open to shadowing. The first dentist I shadowed required me to have a Hep B titer done and also a CPR certification before I could shadow. Make sure to bring a cover letter and a resume with you. You are not only meeting a dentist to shadow but your also meeting someone who could possibly write a letter of recommendation for you. When I did start shadowing I offered to help anyway I could whether it was cleaning chairs or taking out the trash. Also make sure to find a dentist that is a good fit for you.

If you are really sexy, as your handle indicates, then you should have no trouble landing a shadowing gig. In fact, you could probably land an assisting job just as easily.

2it1xt.jpg

Right about now, it would have been so nice had you visited your dentist regularly. You know, like you are likely to recommend once you practice.

I googled as many local dental offices as possible, and had a spiel prepared: "Hi, My name is ______ and I'm a student at ______ interested in applying to dental school. I was wondering if I could volunteer or intern in your clinic?" The receptionist for the first clinic I called put me on hold for a bit, and then told me sure, come in and talk to our office manager. I came in the next day with my resume and the manager said they're short-staffed anyway so I could start whenever. You just need to be persistent and call everyone. I got lucky on my first try, but I had a long list of phone numbers ready to attack haha.
That's great you got lucky on your first try!